Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 photos worse than N82?

Advisor
pcmarsh

I have complaints about the N8, but the camera certainly isn't one of them and was the deciding factor in purchase over the HTC HD, iPhone and Android alternatives.

The photos I've taken so far (new baby - so LOTS of pics) are very clear and natural - outperforming a dedicated Samsung 10MP camera and my previous Nokia N95 - both of which I was already happen with.

Very clear photos, especially when switched to 12MP rather than the 9MP fullscreen (wide) mode for the N8 screen.

Tweak with the settings on the camera to match your taste (User Mode provided for this purpose), or if you prefer a warmer colour set simply batch-edit in Picasa or Photoshop.

Great phone, great camera - well done Nokia! (Now... just please fix the niggling, but important, productivity issues re: Ovi suite, syncing, social integration and mail for exchange!!! Pretty please! Own voice would be nice too :-) :-) - I'll add sprinkles and a cherry if it helps)

Mobi Developer | Wap-2-Go Mobile CMS - www.wap-2-go.com
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
telford_mike

I've been following this thread with interest. I had an N82 for a couple of years - main reason for choosing it was the outstanding camera - and it is.

Having had the N8 for 3 weeks, I can say without a doubt that it is much better than the N82. Images are more natural and sharper, and those extra pixels really help if you need to crop.

Just keep that lens cover clean!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaredmorgs

From what I read in the thread, you seem to have done some pretty exhaustive testing.  One thing I noticed (much to my surprise) is that the N8 out of the box does not have maximum megapixels set by default.  You have to go and manually select "Print 12M - Large" (default Print 9M - Large).

There also seems to be sharpness and colour saturation settings you can tweak as well.  

I'm sure, like me you would have found that out pretty much instantly when going to the camera for the first time.

Just thought I'd mention it in case others read this post and may not realise.

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Sage

@ vsuontam: I compared the photos you posted on dropbox.com. First of all you totally forgot about the ISO levels. Sometimes you also for forgot to use the correct camera settings (manual iso level, shutter, flash)!

The wifi images:

Those taken with the N8 where overexposed, thus the halo. Since they're overexposed the N8 increased the ISO level (look at the nearly dark background, looks like no lights were turned on).

The one taken with the N82 is not (or only a bit) overexposed, thus no halo and a much lower ISO level (again take a look at the background, there are definitely lights turned on!)

Conclusion is that every camera with such an overexposed photo whould create a halo somewhere! The N8 did nothing wrong (perhaps except still triggering the flash) but instead if saved you a photo which normally would be extremely overexposed!

Wife and Kid:

Not much to say except that the N8 image looks much better. Better colors and more details! Check your wifes left eyebrow. On the N8 you can see single hairs, on the N82 you only see an eyebrow! Also look at ther ring. On the N8 you can see there are diamonds (yeah :smileywink: but on the N82 you have to guess.

Kids:

The N8 image is perfectly exposed but the N82 image is a bit overexposed. Because of that the background on the N82 image is brighter than on the N8 image, thus you can read letters on the N82 image much better. Additionally the N8 auto-focus set your kids perfectly in focus (leaving more far away objects out of focus). The N82 did not set your kids so perfectly in focus thus you have less focused kids but also more focused background. On the N8 image you can perfectly see that its a TCO sticker on the top right of your monitor. On the N82 image you have to guess!

Piano:

On the first N8 image i can tell you at which position most screws of the articulation are. I can't on the N82 image! You also see green/red/blue stripes all over the N82 image, especially at the bottom which you don't see on the N8 image!

Sadly you have two different angles which makes comparsion difficult!

Living room:

The N82 image is better but don't forget that the N82 is the "images at low light"-master! Also don't forget that the N8 images are bigger than the N82 ones, so if you scale both up to 100% everything on the N8 image is larger than on the N82 one. Resize both to the same size (make the N8 image a bit smaller and the N82 image a bit larger) and the difference between both will not that big anymore - however, the N82 still wins.

Nokia Bug Tracking System @ http://dev.an3k.de/bugtracker/
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tomboy88

I love this picture, taken on my N8 Saturday :smileyvery-happy:

I think its the best camera i've had to date and i had the N80, N82 and N86 :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vsuontam

@an3k:

What did I forget? ISO levels? Never heard of them. (Well I have, but choose not to care).

I don't  want to manually fiddle with settings when I am taking photos. All of the photos were taken with automatic settings, and this is what most people do. Phone camera is used for spontaneous imaging, only nerds adjust the settings before taking photos with camera phone!

If N82 is better at guessing the default settings, then it is better!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pcmarsh

@vsuontam

Sorry, but if that's your attitude then why are you even complaining about the N8 camera? It's the same with any digital camera if you're looking for quality rather than convenience.

There is no need to manually adjust each time anyway - simply do it once in Camera > Config > Scene Mode > User Defined and then you won't have to fiddle again.
Mobi Developer | Wap-2-Go Mobile CMS - www.wap-2-go.com
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vsuontam

@pcmarch 

No, The wifi logo was clearly better in N82 with automatic settings. (But it might just have been a coincidence, my testing was not exhaustive by any means.)

Also N82 is better in low light situations, like concencus seems to be, which is understandable because it has bigger flash.

Someone suggested trying adjusting ISO levels, and it's against the philosophy of phone camera tests IMHO. Adjusting the ISO settings in user defined mode, would also make pictures in other circumstances worse, so I am not doing it.

Please use plain text.
Sage

@ vsuontam: PLEASE stop taking photos and talking about!

The N8 im image of the wifi box is more worse than the N82 one because YOU did something wrong. Instead of choosing the makro mode (which turns off the flash) you keep it at auto mode.

You get an halo, etc. because the flash of the N8 is much much stronger than the one in the N82! Normally the photo would be over-exposed but since the N8 handle the ISO levels much better than other phones you still have a viewable photo!

If you don't even have any clue about photography don't talk about "this camera does better pictures". Or wait, much better. Give the N8 back (so someone else can have fun with it) and stick with your N82 if it does so much better pictures.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vsuontam

@an3k: Please behave yourself :smileywink: Why to get so heated?

I used automatic mode in both cameras, and N8 picture turned out worse. There is nothing wrong in using automatic mode, isn't there? Most people just use automatic settings.

And now you say that flash in N8 is stronger than one in N82, which contradicts with previous comments and my experience. Others, like the chanchan05 (who seems to be a sensible guy) in page 2 of this thread says N82 has bigger flash.

Please use plain text.
Sage

vsuontam wrote:

@an3k: Please behave yourself :smileywink: Why to get so heated?

I used automatic mode in both cameras, and N8 picture turned out worse. There is nothing wrong in using automatic mode, isn't there? Most people just use automatic settings.

And now you say that flash in N8 is stronger than one in N82, which contradicts with previous comments and my experience. Others, like the chanchan05 (who seems to be a sensible guy) in page 2 of this thread says N82 has bigger flash.

You're like another user here on the forum who doesn't accept others statements if those doesn't match yours.

Well, in most situations automatic mode works very well but there are some situations were you have to use manual settings to get the best photo, like with the wifi box!

Take a look at the background in the image. Tell me why the background on the N8 image is much darker than on the N82 image.

Bigger != Better

The camera (or pictures taken) of the N8 is NOT more worse than the N82 one and that is a fact (many tests proved that). You just got accustomed to the N82 photos and yout think that those are showing the reality but thats not true. The N8 ones show the realty much more than the N82 ones.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

I had an N82 for a while, then an HTC Desire, now an N8.

I have had some issues with noise on the N8 camera - especially weird noisy horizontal lines - any advice to help with that would be appreciated.

However the one thing that has VERY much impressed me with the N8 camera, and which is the holy grail for me with cameraphones, is performance in low light.

I want a cameraphone I can have in my pocket when I go out of an evening. When I'm having fun with friends in a low-light location like a bar or music venue, I want to be able to take a quick snap - I certainly don't want to carry a DSLR around with me on nights out! The N8's camera is capable of capturing info in low light that my N82 and HTC Desire have not been capable of. Both when using the flash meant objects close up become white, objects further than 2-3 meters become black. Switch the flash off and you just get fuzzy noise.

Take a photo in low light without a flash on the N8 and I get something that, whilst not GREAT, is USEABLE. I can actually see stuff in it! I've never seen a cameraphone or budget digital camera capable of taking in so much information in low light conditions, and without blurring either.

And this and this alone is why I won't be sending my N8 back! 

(well, unless i really want to wait for a blue one!)

Please use plain text.
Katron

Here is my oppinion.

With a very good camera, comes a new set of problems and knowledge about taking pics.

The better camera, the more problems will be visible.

The N82 though has a very good camera, but have always had 2 major problems. 1. The xenon flash is to powerfull, and not well balanced for closeup pics. 2. It makes visible fake colours. Especially red and blue colours are overdone.

1. The router boks pic: Its just stupid to take closeup pics of clear surface objects with a xenon flash. The color fading is a problem with both cameras, the problem is just more visible with the N8, as the camera is with higher res and sensor. You can also see the fading in the N82 pic, but its not as visible.

The colours with the N8 is more "live". The N82 has a way of making red colours more red. Colours look fake with the N82.

2. The kids pic: The books in the background is not as clear with the N8 as with the N82, that you are right about. But look at the actual focus area. The kids, that the picure is about, is way overexposed on the N82 camera. They look great on the N8 pic. If you want a clear pic of the books, take a seperate one of them.

3. The piano pics: They are just bad. Both with the N82 and N8. Maybe an user error.

4. The pics of the fireplace: Again the focus area is way overexposed with the N82. The backgrund looks better though, but what about your focus area??

Theres nothing wrong with your camera. The pics youve taken with the N8 is way better than the ones taken with your N82. Sorry to say so.

N82 is not better at guessing default settings. As mentioned above, the flash is to powerfull, and the colours look fake.

The bigger sensor a camera haves, the more skills is needed from the photographer. Any mistake is much more visible, the more proffessionel the camera is. Thats common knowledge.

You know have a very good camera in your phone, so you have to learn to take pics differently. You cant just just pull it out your pocket, and snap in a hurry. You have to have a steady hand. Any mistake is 4 times as visible on N8, as on your N82. Compacts also need fiddling with settings, if you want the best result.

Sumup: What I'm trying to say is that with a 12 Mpixel camera, mounted with a pretty big sensor, any picture mistake will now be visible. Thats a whole new problem for phonecameras, and phonecamera users. If you dont get it right, you will be punished with a half decent picture. Any compact camera user can confirm that.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
p2829

I used N82 camera for 2.5 years and have been using N8 camera for 1 month.

I find that on automatic settings (which should be the norm for phone photography), N82 is better in producing photos with rich and vibrant colours especially outdoors, whereas N8 photos tend to appear a bit over-exposed in colours.

However, I can improve on N8 photos in 2 ways:
1. Manually adjust the White Balance and Light Sensitivity for outdoor or indoor before taking shots, and/or

2. Use its photo editor: Edit - Tuning - Auto.

Nokia should come out with a firmware to make N8 camera automatic settings as intelligent and effective as that of N82 for vivid photos. (Manual settings adjustment now and then should be left to DSLR cameras.)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

[ Edited ]

Just my twopenny worth...

I have the N8 and my wife has an N82 (for 2 years). She is waiting for the blue N8 before buying.

I did a back to back test between the N8 (12MP), N82 (5MP), Canon Powershot 710 (7MP) and a Canon EOS 500D (15MP). The results were quite surprising to me.

The N8 was better than the Powershot and almost as good as the EOS 500D at full resolution. It was only when highly zoomed in that the EOS was better. As far as colours go, the N8 had softer colours than the N82 but about the same as the Powershot. I like the software colours as they are much more life-like.

BTW... I also compared the C7. I had a C7 for 2 weeks before returning it to Nokia for continuous restarting and got an N8 instead. There is simply no comparison with the C7 and had I been able to do this test before buying the C7 I would never have considered it. The C7 EDoF camera is good only OK if you have no interest in any kind of quality at all and will never want to zoom in to your pics. Zoom in at all and everything goes blurred and clearly over processed. I can't see many people being happy with the C7 camera (or E7 as they are the same) if you ever want to zoom in to pics.

So my verdict... N8 is the best camera I have seen on a phone. In side-by-side tests it is better than N82 especially when zoomed in, colours are more natural. I had no intention of using my N8 as a replacement for my Powershot but I could see myself doing just that if I didn't want to take the Powershot with me and didn't need the zoom capabilities of it.

The biggest complaint I have with the N8 phone is that the software is the same as S60 5th Edition. Nokia, this is your flagship phone... you could at least have updated the software to be flagship software!!!

Still, that'll give Nokia developers something to do in the coming months!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

vsuontam wrote:

- worse image quality on darker images. See e.g. the books on the kids image, or the clock on the dark images with a canle. Both are clearly visible on N82 shot, but not in N8 shot. I am not sure this can be corrected with a SW update, or do you think so?

Looks like the DoF in the N8 is narrower and that the flash in the N8 is weaker than in the N82.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eyeonphotos

:smileyhappy: sony ericsson c905 makes better photos than n8 and n82

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
eyeonphotos

:smileyvery-happy: sony ericsson c905 makes better photos than n8 and n82

Please use plain text.
stansutcliffe

Hi

I know this may sound silly, and you did answer this question earlier, but I'm not entirely sure if you checked properly.

I had a similar problem, particularly getting "blue" pictures. Whilst I HAD removed the plastic lens protector when I got my N8, I never realised there was a SECOND blue tinted lens protector just inside the lens aperture. I had to take the camera cover off to remove it safely.

It was only obvious to me when I compared my "blue" lens to my friend's clear lens!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lolopd

I also 'upgraded' from my trustee N82 to an N8.

While the image quality on the N8 is far crisper (and I haven't even got it on the maximum 12mp setting) I feel that it's the performance of the flash that is the biggest letdown. Mine SUCKS.

I can't for the life of me understand why you can't get a decent shot indoors from 5 feet away (and YES I do know about conventional flash power etc. etc.) To me the n82 flash seemed better.

.......and how I wish the N8 had the 'flick-down' lens cover which also doubled as a camera on-off switch that the n82 had!

Please use plain text.