Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps free...

Registered Member
butterflylove

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing

i tried every thing to avoid C: full memory , soft reset, hard reset, also my N8 battery drain after hard reset when i try to make restore data :smileysad:,, then i try a custom FW Xeon S^4 and i found it the best solution for all ,, its better than the official nokia FW
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rrgitkumar

Hard reset or soft reset does not help at all. The only way to clear the unknown files which is not even seen is by flashing it. One point of time I was a fan of NOKIA but now am disappointed.

What i have observed is your themes what u set is stored in the C drive and even after u change it its still there.

The problem is when ever a file is deleted in symbian only the directory is destroyed and the rest data manages to still be there. Therefore the only remedy is to get yous phone flashed.

Please use plain text.
jtvfin

And at least my N8 stores all e-mails to phone's memory (C) not  to mass storage (E). And that is how it has been since the beginning. Also after full restore to factory default. And there is no way to change that dafault value. Ok I am using the Nokia's default mail application, where I can have several e-mail providers in one single application. Currently that application is reserving about 11 Megs of the phone memory.

I have never had the problems like described in here that all the phone memory is used. Anyhow the memory problems seem to start, when the available free memory will drop below  40 Megs. When this happens, problems will be seen as some kind of freezing of the applications. Anyhow that is only temporary and it will go away after a moment, when phone is automatically switching off some of the background "activities". 

In case there is a good alternative option for that default e-mail application, that would give you the possibilities to control the storage area to be used, that would be an option to be taken under consideration.

Please use plain text.
Vergis

whatsapp installs, by default, to c: drive.  is there a way to get it to run off E: drive?

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

The Belle O/S stores emails and messages on c: and this cannot be changed - short of fairly complicated hacks which will be deleted by Nokia mods here if posted.

This thread might be of help

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Nokia-700-PLEASE-HELP-low-c-space/td...

You might also like to google on

nokia belle 1000484b

It is easy for the less tech-brainy user to end up filling up their c: drive. One can achieve it just by not deleting Sent email messages. If you email photos to people, that will do it nicely :smileyhappy: That's before the bug in the email program which leaves orphaned email attachments in the 1000484b folder...

Please use plain text.
apubapu

One of the best reccomandation is copy exactly same named folder on mass memory "MailForExchange " and copy all contents of that c drive's folder to new folder on mass memory, than delete c drive folder of MailForExchange , you will create lots of space on C, , remember whenever you re-start phone this folder will again be created on C drive by phone itself so do not forget to delete everytime ,

Please use plain text.
Sage

Ncca10 wrote:

> by the way, i also want to ask where is your contacts saved? if i'm not mistaken, contacts are automatically saved in your phone's memory (as it is nokia's default setting) so if you have a lot of contacts saved in your phone then that's one of the reasons why your memory is being occupied

I have about 639 contacts on my Nokia 701 with Name, email, phonenos and address. This data occupies 629KB on my device.

He probably installed the few apps he has in C:. Don't forget that for instance Asphalt 6 HD takes about 320MB! So that one game can fill the entire N8 C:-drive.

The first thing I usually do is a full reset (3 or 4 finger salute). And install as much as possible on E:. Most apps can be re-found on the interweb which you then install on E:. My 701 has about 468MB free C: and 5GB free on E:. Granted it's at least twice as fast and has double the amount of RAm and C:-drive. And I've been using this device as my daily driver since it came out.

Apps are stored on E: (unless that's not possible like e.g. rompatcher+ which must be installed on C:smileyhappy:

Maps are stored on E:

Photo's are stored on F: microSD-card.

Only patches and telephony-stuff is in C:.

Also the N8 has less RAM than e.g the C7-00.  Which might contribute to its generic slowness (compared to C7-00).

Perhaps you can find a 701. Use that as a daily device and keep the N8 as a camera-to-go. I love my 701. The best allround device Nokia ever build. Just as I loved my C7 before that. It's a shame Nokia didn't update the N8 like they did the C7. Because it would have been sufficient for the majority of users and probably costed a lot less to build as materials from the N8 (including the camera-module) could be recycled. Exactly as they did with the C7-00/701.

Use the logicboard from the 701 in the N8's body and with the N8's camera. Would have cost them a lot less than the development o/t 808 pureview.

Please use plain text.
Sage

jtwoodfield wrote:

Thank you. That was a fantastically helpful post. Like many, paranoid after the poor C drive performance with the N97, I took fright when Windows 7 showed the C drive on the N8 as being full.

Perhaps Nokia would give their new partner Microsoft a nudge to either show that the drive is read only in Windows and therefore may not be full at all or give a true reading but saw it is read only.

Further, in that Nokia will have been aware from many posts in the past that cleaning up the C drive is a priority they might like to install a program to do that by default. And, unlike the one they provided for the N97, ensure that it is reusable.

On the 808 Most stuff is installed on E: by default. Out o/t box you get +480MB free C: on the 808 PV. That's with Maps & Drive, Asphalt 6, Angry birds, a Golf game, Shazam, Vlingo, some music, some backgrounds  and some other 3rd party stuff. Quickoffice and Acrobat PDF reader stubornly remain on C:. But get rid of these and there'll probably versions out there that you force on E: as well. Or use alternatives (For PDF's there's e.g. NSR reader)

Please use plain text.
Sage

AhmedZaky wrote:
right childo we must think twice b4 buying 808, i dont get it why it comes with 16gb mass storage & sd card support up to 32gb while made c: 256mb!!!!!

I believe C: drive in 808 is 640MB!

Like I wrote before. Out of the box you have about 480MB free.

There's a version of Microsoft office that installs on E:.

Maps are stored on E:

I fact on my own 701 I have 468MB C:

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing0000000000

nneville wrote:

This is exaclty where my problems began and continue. I have deleted so many apps since. Went into Store on my phone and made sure the preferences for istallations were for my memory card. But guess what, many apps still install on the C drive no matter how many times a tell the store preferences to install on another memeory drive. Nokia is refusing to address this issue and I suspect Microsoft is the cause. I won't buy another Nokia if this is not fixed, and soon.

I doubt this is Nokia's fault. My apps faults are caused by that developper of that aprticular app. you can't complain to Nokia about Skype or whatsapp?

Also most installs use the settings done in Nokia Suite. (Syncoptions -> My Devices). Also when the app get's transfered to your phone (and Nokia Suite tells you to commence install on the device itself). There you too must tell te app itself where it wants to be installed. Most show a screen with options.

Don't just press OK

Please use plain text.
starfish2

I have had the same problem with this phone. the word from nokia is make sure when you down load from nokia store select mass memory before you start your down load. but for those of us who have already got the message c memory full a hard reset maybe The way to sort it?

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

[ Edited ]

Or you could un-install the offending apps. in Settings/Installations/Already Installed

Those on "E" have an icon of a Hard drive  (looks like a coffee cup) and Memory card has a card.

Long Press to select remove. Those on "C", nothing.

MAKE SURE you only remove items you KNOW you have installed.

If there are a couple of big ones it may save the pain of a reset.

Once removed, make sure your installation settings are correct and re-install from the store.

I think there are some apps that over-ride your settings and install on "C" anyway, think Whatsapp is one, you'll have to decide if you need them.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Dregirl

I am having the exact same problem as well. Do you happen to find any solution to fix it ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
joules

Hi buddy,

try the following link, the steps mentioned helped me clear 20 MB of space on C:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/14682_How_to_Get_disk_space_back_on_.php

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
n8Dterrrible

Dats just dumb... u mean contact can take over 48MB of space or something?
Please use plain text.
sfsfsfsf

where is the solution plz????

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stainnlless

how do i go to exchange? i cant even find that plz help me
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stainnlless

Hi do you think it is fair for a person to be monitering how many file he or she store on the phone when there is a mass memory for that? nokia needs to get a hold of themselves
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Cool, I'll be in the market for a second hand 808 then :smileyhappy:
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rajivkpr

how do i format my phone

Please use plain text.