Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing

Advisor
JoeFishman

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing

Agreed, maps off C drive seems essential.  I am sorely disappointed to be down to 16MB on my N8 after only two months of Belle.  Indeed, it was originally great to see my C drive up to around 70MB after the Belle update.  Before that I’d been at a comfortable 40MB-ish.  The all About Symbian site puts 16MB as the minimum to keep the N8 running okay so I’m now doing weekly full backups – great...  Was dead-set on the 808 being my next mobile but now not so sure as while it has double the C drive it also has FP1 which by all accounts uses even more C drive.  Talk about giving with one hand and taking with another!

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

JoeFishman wrote:

Agreed, maps off C drive seems essential.  I am sorely disappointed to be down to 16MB on my N8 after only two months of Belle.  Indeed, it was originally great to see my C drive up to around 70MB after the Belle update.  Before that I’d been at a comfortable 40MB-ish.  The all About Symbian site puts 16MB as the minimum to keep the N8 running okay so I’m now doing weekly full backups – great...  Was dead-set on the 808 being my next mobile but now not so sure as while it has double the C drive it also has FP1 which by all accounts uses even more C drive.  Talk about giving with one hand and taking with another!

N8 FP1 is out?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeFishman

think you mis-read, i said the 808 comes with fp1
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AhmedZaky

right childo we must think twice b4 buying 808, i dont get it why it comes with 16gb mass storage & sd card support up to 32gb while made c: 256mb!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mittsdad

I have 50mb free on C memory. I have removed cache from Opera and that did not seem to change the available memory. I seem to have a number of Qs 41 temp files, can I delete these without causing any problems? I did delete a couple and they do not seem to have caused any problems, but also did not seem to give any improvement to the memory. Many of the other items on C are stated as "not able to open"

Fortunately I do not seem to be suffering with any further diminishing of available memory.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wateratz

Try removing Nokia Smart Installer, and Ovi Store Installer.

They will be reloaded if you need to perform an install, or re-install the Store, and then you can remove them again. My N8 with Belle, and two email accounts on it, runs at around 50MB free. Probably less than optimum, but performance is OK.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HiteshHBN

I have done all that you have mentioned but still have the same problem ie. the phone memory is full, and by files I cannot see with my usb cable.  My N8 is terraby slow and I suspect that the problem is the full phone memory however I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. 

Is there an expert whom is willing to help us?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dohouch

How to: Get disk space back on C: on the Nokia N8 or similar

look here - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/14682_How_to_Get_disk_space_back_on_.php
PC:Win7 SP1 64Bit,Nokia Suite: v.3.6.36
Phones:
808:059M934 - SWv.:113.010.1507
N8 :059C5Q8 - SW v. 111.040.1511

Please use plain text.
rasheed_90009

I am also facing the same issue. My phone N8 is completely useless now and cant operate any apps. sometimes I cant answer the calls.

When I scanned the files in C drive, its showing 140MB in other files and I cant locate the 'other files' in the c drive.

Could any one please help me to sort it out very urgently.

Many thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stainnlless

I dont even have an exchange account could you plz walk or talk me through this? Or even tell me how to set one up i am desperate
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arbaerinn

This seems to be story for ever ! 

And I´m afraid that this is killing Nokia, they are so aragent that they think people always stick with Nokia !  !

I dont think so ! 

After 2 years with N8, I´m at least looking around.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
0micron

You guys need to read the posts above. As a summary of the suggestions in this thread (I'm sure there would be other suggestions in other threads):

Go to Applications -> Settings -> Installations -> Already installed

Then you will see a list of all the applications that are stored on your phone, including the system applications. Right next to the name you will see an icon which will guide you whether the app is stored on the mass drive, or on the "system" drive which is the phone's C drive. Anything on C drive that can be moved to the mass drive should be moved - e.g. I had what'sapp, panorama, skype etc installed on C (I wasn't aware of that) so by removing those it cleared enough space.

Also in the same list you can remove the Ovi installer as it is just a backup in case you need it - and anyways when you do it would be downloaded again (if you have internet). 

Another thing to do is clearing the web browser's cache memory which can be done by going to the browser's settings -> Privacy

Finally some people have suggested clearing your email's deleted items folder as the phone doesn't seem to be synchronizing that with the server.

All of the above helped me save approx. 30mb

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ranx

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing0000000000

I just got a message and to update the Microsoft app, that kill the memory, I try very hard and deleted using app and finally get the phone back to working without the out of memory warning, that make me mad as I got a external 32G class 10 card just for the out of memory problem and it still hit me, can't explain why a lot of stuff have to installed in the tiny 200m plus C drive, when they even have a 8G mass media, let alone the external card. This make no sense but only drive the customer away. If not for the camera (still like it) I will ditch N8 in no time, will see.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arbaerinn

As I think I have done every thing to delete from the C drive and still the same problem,

Yesterday I bought 32 GB memory card from TDK, and lt looks like proble solved :-) finally :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arbaerinn

And the phone is running perfect  ! ! ! ! ! !

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

That's interesting, did you have a smaller card or nothing?

If you had a smaller card, was it full?

Perhaps it was corrupted and the system was overloaded trying to read it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, thats something to watch out for.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
horrid

[ Edited ]

Yesterday my N8 stopped working.  It was working fine and then it started freezing.  I couldn't answer phonecalls and even when the person calling had stopped ringing my phone kept on ringing and the phone became unresponsive, the only way to stop it was to do a reset (long press of power key).  I cannot turn it off normally now at all. When the phone powers up it freezes after about 10 seconds or when I try to open any of the apps - this means I cannot even check the memory or try freeing the cache.

I tried dialling the hard reset code and it said that was unavailable.

I tried backing up th phone contents through ovi suite but that isn't working.

Does anyone have any idea about what is wrong and how I can solve it?

Cheers

Editd to add that I have tried a hard reset (volume down, camera, menu key) but even that doesn't do anything!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nneville

[ Edited ]

This is exaclty where my problems began and continue. I have deleted so many apps since. Went into Store on my phone and made sure the preferences for istallations were for my memory card. But guess what, many apps still install on the C drive no matter how many times a tell the store preferences to install on another memeory drive. Nokia is refusing to address this issue and I suspect Microsoft is the cause. I won't buy another Nokia if this is not fixed, and soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
parkert

i had same problem and tried everything. Then realised it was my email. I cleared out the deleted items and the sent items and this have me 20 mb more space. I keep of top of this now
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LBSB

I am having same problem showing otherfiles 120 mb, but where is it?
Please use plain text.