Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 running sloooowly after belle update crash

Advisor
norman1nz

N8 running sloooowly after belle update crash

[ Edited ]

While updating to belle somebody tried calling me and phone seemed to crash at this point as the call carried on ringing for over a minute and I couldn't answer it. Had to restart phone and it went through the initialization and belle was installed..

But now the whole phone runs so slowly - often takes 10-20 seconds to unlock the phone w slider, send or open a SMS message etc..

Was working fine on anna yesterday.

I've tried restarting it a few times but problem persists.

Ideas?

Can I do a 3 button factory reset, then upgrade to belle again without any problems?

http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/12/04/warning-dont-do-a-hard-reset-on-the-n8/

On another note I tried deleting the 4000 old SMS messages that are over a month old from Nokia Suite, then syncing messages but it doesn't remove them from the phone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Re: N8 running sloooowly after belle update crash

The 3 button reset is not reccomended by Nokia as it can cause problems.

The approved reset method is through the menu system. Menu>settings>phone>phone management>factory settings and then either Restore or Delete data and restore.

You could try just reinstalling the firmware with Nokia Suite before trying a factory restore,and only doing a restore folowed by reinstall of firmware if the problem is not solved
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Advisor
norman1nz

OK I'll give the approved reset a try. How do I reinstall firmware with nokia suite?

And is there any way to remove all my old SMS messages but keep the last month or two's messages in my inbox?

(BTW: MyPhoneExplorer is excellent for this if anyone has a SonyEricsson)

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

To reinstall the firmware, connect the phone with usb lead, and choose the updates icon (arrow in green square as pictured) and this will give you an option to reinstall. You may need to click the refresh button.

To delete multiple sms from the phone, again this can be done through Nokia Suite. Choose the inbox/sent/etc folder but under "Messages in N8-00" and you can multiselect with <shift>click or <ctrl>click in the normal windows way and then delete.

Hope that helps.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Advisor
norman1nz

Ahh found the "messages in N8" section thanks :smileyhappy:

Did a reset through the menu but didn't improve the performance..

The green update button in nokia suite reported that 3.3 was already installed so didn't give any reinstall option, and refresh button didn't change this either..

What are the problems that may arise from 3 button reset if I'm updating to belle again anyway?

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

norman1nz wrote:

Did a reset through the menu but didn't improve the performance..

The green update button in nokia suite reported that 3.3 was already installed so didn't give any reinstall option, and refresh button didn't change this either..

Your phone needs to be connected to the computer with USB and you should then get a screen like the attached picture. If your phone isn't being recognised by your computer & Nokia suite then it might be worth trying uninstalling Nokia Suite from your computer and reinstalling. Latest Nokia Suite is at http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-ovi-suite . If that doesn't get you the reinstall option, the pro9blem you have is outside my limited knowledge and the only suggestion I could make is that you may need to visit a Nokia care point.

norman1nz wrote:

What are the problems that may arise from 3 button reset if I'm updating to belle again anyway?

That's a difficult one to answer as it can have unpredictable effects, the official Nokia position is at /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-Maps-problem-after-hard-reset/td-p/783327

I was forced to do a 3 button reset on my N8, which I followed by a "delete data and restore" and a reinstallation of Belle and haven't experienced many problems, but can't say whether your phone with a differnt custom version of belle will behave the same.I have lost the ability to open links in sms messages from the web version of Nokia store. There may also be problems with phone features that I don't use but obviously I wouldn't know about these.

Although I seem to have been lucky, I can't recommend that you do a 3 finger reset, you need to decide whether to risk it.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.