Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N8 says headphones are plugged in when they're not...

Registered Member
JonnyIsHere

N8 says headphones are plugged in when they're not.

Hi,

After I unplugged my headphones today the headphones icon at the top right next to the battery indicator remained. It's really annoying because now when I take a call I can't hear the person on the other end unless I have headphones plugged in. Also when I play music it won't play on loudspeaker because it thinks headphones are plugged in. i should mention as well that in the past day the phone had trouble recognising when the headphones were plugged in but a quick reset fixed this previously. I've also tried 3 different pairs of headphones.

I have had this phone for 6 months and never had a problem with it before. Is this a hardware or software issue and is there a way to fix it? I've reset the phone as well as hard reset the phone a number of times.

Thanks,

Jonny

Registered Member

Re: N8 says headphones are plugged in when they're not.

I am having the same problem since this morning, and eager to hear an answer.
I dont often use headphones on my n8 but wonder if this has anything to do with the new symbian update which i installed a few days ago

Sage
CameronS

Jonny,

I'm not sure I have a solution for you, but I can tell you that the switch to recognise headphones is physical in the N8. If you look in the plug hole, you'll see a couple of contacts that a headphone plug would touch when the plug is inserted into the hole. It seems that when these contacts are pushed aside by the plug they tell the N8 that headphones are connected.

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe if you tried to gently lever the contacts towards the middle of the hole the phone will no longer think headphones are connected.

Cameron

Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

CameronS wrote:

Jonny,

I'm not sure I have a solution for you, but I can tell you that the switch to recognise headphones is physical in the N8. If you look in the plug hole, you'll see a couple of contacts that a headphone plug would touch when the plug is inserted into the hole. It seems that when these contacts are pushed aside by the plug they tell the N8 that headphones are connected.

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe if you tried to gently lever the contacts towards the middle of the hole the phone will no longer think headphones are connected.

Cameron

The cause MAY be TRUE.. but if anything happens to the contacts while tempering will void the warranty...

..but a similar issue with a weird solution here ... that you may try..