Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 software update v013.016 - Advice needed AS...

Sage
GeminiPhoenix

N8 software update v013.016 - Advice needed ASAP!

Last night I performed an update search by entering *#0000# and selecting the *Check for updates* option, and it discovered a new update - v013.016!

Before I take the punge and install it though, could you guys please tell me exactly what is new with this update, and what are your general opinions on it? I think we all accept that the default N8 firmware is dodgy, but I don't really want to perform an update and install new software which may be just as bad or worse than what I already have...

I would like a few reviews on this new software before I commit myself, as I am a firm believer in "Better the devil you know...", and I would rather put up with the default flaws than update my handset only to discover a whole load of new flaws, or find that a specific feature which I rely on has mysteriously disappeared...

I have noticed a few threads here (Such as this one: /t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-PR1-1-downgrade-to-1-0-possible/m-p/926471) which mention that the new software has created more problems than it was supposed to have solved, which makes me a little reluctant to update, especially if I am unable to undo the update!

Are there any noticeable changes? Ie, have Nokia listened to our suggestions and fixed things like the eMail client and music player?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Re: N8 software update v013.016 - Advice needed ASAP!

It's mostly a background update,

phone is a little faster and a little smoother,

conflict between FM transmitter and Bluetooth has been resolved,

some issues with apps

Situations looses wi-fi option, fixed in latest version

BBC iPlayer DRM is buggered,

It's worth installing, unless you watch alot of iPlayer stuff on your phone

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

Erm... I do use the iPlayer quite regularly now that you mention it. I remember the iPlayer on the N96 was buggy as hell too, and often froze or didn't sync audio with video etc

So I take it this is just a partial fix, and not a major update then? What about a portrait QWERTY which they promised us? What I really wanted fixed was the music player, as I use this frequently - Perhaps more than anything else! I also hoped that the eMail client would be fixed too. These were my two major gripes about the default firmware, and anything else I can generally overlook or put up with

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

all of the UI stuff

including improved browser and music player,

qwert portrait

etc

is rumoured to be part of the pr2.0 release, in a month or so

1.1 is a fix to the OS rather than an app update

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

synth_fg wrote:

all of the UI stuff

including improved browser and music player,

qwert portrait

etc

is rumoured to be part of the pr2.0 release, in a month or so

1.1 is a fix to the OS rather than an app update

Ah, great info! Thanks for that!

So to be perfectly honest, I may as well make do and persevere for a month until the full fix, rather than waste my time and effort with ths "patch"

Something i'm keen to know though - Are Nokia still supporting Symbian ^3 for the N8, or is there a chance they will suddenly force Windows 7 Mobile on us? Or are we miles away from that happening at the moment? I personally don't want to make the switch, and I chose the N8 because it wasn't Android or Windows 7

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

N8 can't run win7,

the hardware is designed for the much more efficient symbian software

following last fridays announcement future symbian developments beyond PR2.0 are an open question,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

GeminiPhoenix wrote:

Something i'm keen to know though - Are Nokia still supporting Symbian ^3 for the N8, or is there a chance they will suddenly force Windows 7 Mobile on us? Or are we miles away from that happening at the moment? I personally don't want to make the switch, and I chose the N8 because it wasn't Android or Windows 7

Whatever happens in the future a device bought today in the EU will have to be supported for 2 years, although firmware updates may possibly dry up a little sooner than originally envisaged.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

I personally think that before Nokia can even begin to consider releasing a new handset with a new OS, they should first fix what is broken with their existing products, and should support the N8 until such time as it functions as expected

Please use plain text.