Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 syncing with Google contacts & calendar

Contributor
Accepted Solution

N8 syncing with Google contacts & calendar

Could somebody be kind enough to take me through, step-by-step, on how to sync my Google contacts and calendar to the N8 please.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andreab11

Re: N8 syncing with Google contacts & calendar

Hi there, you need to use Mail For Exchange for syncing with your GMail contacts and calendars on your N8.

This link :

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=147951

contains useful info and steps to do. The interface looks different but parameters are basically the same.

On my N8 I have problems sending emails with GMail using Mail For Exchange, so I had to set up on the phone a normal GMail account for syncing the mails and a MFE one for contacts and calendars (setting to "don't sync" the email sync option of MFE account).

I hope it helps!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adrybak

andreab11, thanks for your reply but you have not good answer. Mail for Exchange is not avaiable for N8 (unfortunatly) there are built in "Noka Messaging" there you can use gmail account only for imap/email and this works well. But if we need sync more - contacts, calendar, tasks etc.. we need to setup gmail account as "exchange email" but exhcnage email on my firmware version have bug (011.012) - i can recieve mails, i can sync calendar and contacts but im unable to compose new message - when im trying application crashes.

BTW: Where i can submit a bug for Exchange Email for N8? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
andreab11

@adrybak : my answer is absolutely correct because the N8 HAS Mail For Exchange. It is called exactly like that and it is available in the email setup screen. The feature is also listed in the official specification of the N8 : http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n8/specifications

By the way I have your same firmware 011.012 and I have the same bug being unable to send emails with the Mail For Exchange account (what you call "exchange email" I guess) and I wrote it in my previous post.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adrybak

Sorry, I have polish version and I translated incorrectly :smileyhappy: did you checked with other exchange service than Google?

I tried to install roadsync but this not works.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jan10028

MfE works fine with the office e-mail and calandar (just always privat flag in cal).

But how do I add/sync google calandar if MfE is already been used by the office account? Any sugestins??

jan (N8 previous 5800 XM, E51, E65 and Banana)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adrybak

andreab11, i did the workaround as you described - sync contacts, tasks and calendar via MfE and sync mail via gmail dedicated config. I got delay with new emails about 3-5 min.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andreab11

@adrybak :3-5 is nice :smileyhappy: I did various tests and I got mails with a delay of 2 to 8 minutes with mail sync to "as soon as possible". That's far from the performances I got with my BlackBerry (where mails arrived first on the device and then on the web!) but they're different technologies. It makes me laugh when people says that Nokia Messaging or push emails on Android and iOS are "just like on BlackBerry".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jarnodewit

Not sure if my issue is the same, but let's give it a try. I can set up Gmail in MfE on the N8, but my calendar isn't synced. Any suggestions on that? The calendar is set to sync and not delete old items.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jarnodewit

:smileysurprised: Shame on me. Just noticed (when a alarm went off) that the sync works just fine. I hadn't noticed the separate categories in the calendar which lead to not showing the correct calendar to me. Not sure if I explained this properly, but the result is it's working like it should. Even better than before on my N97.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you very much andreab11.

Your solution worked perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ranruobin

I do not know what's wrong with your settings, but I get my Gmail, Ovimail and GMX (German mail) synced in a second after it appears on my accounts. When I am in the office I have my Gmail on my PC Screen; everytime a mail appears there, some SECONDS later I get the beep from my N8 that the mail has arrived.

Just Perfect!

So, ther must be something wrong with your settings/connection....ect...

RR

Please use plain text.
Contributor
adrybak

ranruobin, how are you syncing gmail? as gmail or as microsoft exchange? can you write messagess with google configured as mail for exchange?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
toivotoivo

I have been developing a native/symbian Google calendar client in past, for my personal use, and its in alpha-readyness stage. Would there be interest in using this (vs syncing) if Id get most bugs fixed, updated for S^3 and release to wild?

T.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mauro_zz

beta labs by nokia is testing an ovi calendar which can subscribe g calendar ... it works perfectly, just waiting for them to make it official

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PG_N8

the ovi gmail sync sounds good.

prefer not to deal with MfE.

would google do a calendar and contacts app for n8?

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

andreab11 wrote:

@adrybak :3-5 is nice :smileyhappy: I did various tests and I got mails with a delay of 2 to 8 minutes with mail sync to "as soon as possible". That's far from the performances I got with my BlackBerry (where mails arrived first on the device and then on the web!) but they're different technologies. It makes me laugh when people says that Nokia Messaging or push emails on Android and iOS are "just like on BlackBerry".

i suspect that may have been when you opened the app to check.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kamalzack

I remember reading something about nuevasync. Tried it and it works syncing your google calendar with N8.

http://www.nuevasync.com/

Please use plain text.
N0kia_N8

Hi. I just bought my Nokia N8. I've been searching the web but can't find the directions to be able to send a message through the MfE.I set it all up, but was only able to recieve messages.

I've never used MfE before, but it seems that you've managed to send email through MfE or whatever it's properly called.

If you have the time could you please tell me how you setup your Gmail on the phone to be able to recieve AND send messages? I really don't care about the calender and contacts.

-Thanks for any help.

-Albert.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
toivotoivo

For Gmail you go to http://m.google.com in the phone browser, download gmail client, when started it will ask username&password and you are ready to rock.

T.

Please use plain text.