Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 text message delay

Nihilus

N8 text message delay

The problem started yesterday morning. I didn't receive any messages or calls until about 8 hours later, when all messages (sent at 9 am) came at the same time on the afternoon. At that point I thought it had something to do with the weather because it was snowing, but it's still not working correctly today and it's very annoying. 

It takes about five times "send again" until the messages are sent from my phone. And there's usually a delay until I receive messages for about 15 minutes or more. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, but it's not very often...

Anyone know what the problem is?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: N8 text message delay

I've seen this behaviour before but it was a temporary network issue, not a phone issue.

Have you tried another networks sim in your phone to see if it behaves differently with that?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Is this always in one place? It could be a localised issue with your operator's nearest base-station.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Oops, great minds think alike...

Please use plain text.
Nihilus

With different sim-card? 

I haven't tried another sim but it's hard to tell if that would work because it's works fine sometimes as it is. But when I think the problem is solved, there's the delay again..

The operator (Tele 2) says that there's no disturbances in my area, and there's always at least 3 (usually more) "connection bars" or what it's called, on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Do you get the same problems if you are in a stronger signal area?

Unfortunately it's impossible to rule it out as a phone or a network issue unless you try another networks sim in your phone (unless it's sim locked).

If you feel that it's a phone fault you could try one of the various reset methods for the N8 or visit a nokia care point for assistance.

Please use plain text.
Nihilus

It seems to be working fine when I'm outside, but not inside.

Ok, I will do that if it doesn't get any better soon. Thanks for the replies!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You probably just don't have a good enough signal inside then. Even though it shows 3 bars that is just a guide.

The N8 has quite a strong antenna compared to many other current phones. Mine often seems to show one or two bars in places where my previous phones would have none. Sometimes messages will send, other times they will fail but often go later.

If your phone is using a 3G or 3.5G network you may want to change it to use GSM whilst indoors.
Please use plain text.
Nihilus

But it worked fine two days ago.

Ok, I will try this. Thanks again for the help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.