Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 tip to kill constant 3G connection

a1kenny

Re: N8 tip...

This was very helpful, thank you very much.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AakashDP

Thanks for the good tips. I have an issue if you can help me.

Whenever I install the appd by default they get installed in the memory card. I am not able to find to change the default location to the mass memory.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.

I was trying to find out why the phone always connect to 3G, that eats battery! You may disconnect it from connectivity manager but it still connect to it immediately after. A solution I found from the web is to set "Data use in home network" to "WLAN only" but whenever you need 3G, you have to come back here to set it to "Automatic" or "Always ask". Here's a better solution:

* Go to "Connection manager" to find out the name of the access point that is always connected

* Now set "Data use in home network" to "WLAN only". Doing this will free the access point so you can edit it.

* Go to "Connectivity""Settings""Destinations" and find all access points with the name you found earlier in their respective sub menu

* Touch and hold each and every of the access point to rename to whatever you like

* Finally set "Data use in home network" back to original

Now you should be able to control your 3G connection. Note that if your installed widgets connect to internet on regular basis (like weather channels), you may either set it off individually or press "Option" on the home screen and select "Widgets to offline mode".

Please use plain text.

Hi, but the keypad after I press "Call" from home screen will only display number when I touch the keypad. No name at all appear. If I need to access contact I have to press "contact" on the keypad. It is quite inconvenient.

Please use plain text.

any tip if your N8 hangs? the thing is completely useless when it hangs. power button no use...what do you do?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nisses

Try holding the power button down for about 10 seconds, untill it vibrates. Then it should turn off.
Please use plain text.
abhi2110

in the cheapest nokia phones press the call button and you can call-back the last number. in N8 it takes 3 clicks. any shortcuts!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This is a very very good tip. I still have one pet peeve, however, which I also posted as a topic here in the boards. This relates to the slow rotation time with the N8 from numeric keypad to keyboard. I turned off the theme effects and the browsing experience through the menus was indeed faster, but the rotation was still the same! I reverted to the Nokia Black theme, too, and it's still the same. =(:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
ElGreco

Re: N8 connecting problem...

Hello, everyone.

I've got me a bit of a problem since last week.

Even though I have disabled everything there is not to auto connect,

there is still one (I guess..) app that is constantly trying to connect through GPRS.

It tries to connect every 30 seconds, mostly for 1 second

and even though there is 0kB uploaded & 0kB downloaded

it destroys my battery supplies.

My question is, how do I find which app in order to remove it?

It starts to get on my nerves, not being able to keep my N8 without being used, 

for more than one day without charge...!

Please, any help, is needed.

Please use plain text.
ElGreco

Just changed the connection to "Wlan only" and so far it seems to be working.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
woodstock555

You can go to the connection manger and long press on the 3G connection and press disconnect, but to stop it reconnecting when u have wlan u need to set ur wlan as a higher priority and then set "data use in home country" to automatic. this will tell ur N8 to pic the data connection its using from the priority list. U can then switch off wlan scanning to save extra battery.

If ur worried about ur N8 holding onto a 3G connection when ur out and have closed all of the applications that are using a active connection, i wouldn't worry. Though the N8 shows the active date channel on the home screen when i then open a browser it tells me that its connecting to the 3G. So it must have disconnected but didn't display it fully as the connection is still there if u want it.... and as it has to hold a connection to receive calls there shouldn't be any extra power being used.

Please use plain text.