Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N8 unable to connect to weak Wifi signal

Advisor
Accepted Solution

N8 unable to connect to weak Wifi signal

Anyone having the same problem with their new N8?

My N8 just won't see or connect to my home wifi network when the signal strength is 60% or lower. The phone then wants to make a 3G connection through my Vodafone destination. I did not have this problem with my old N85. The N85 would find any wifi signal, no matter how weak.

Could it be a bug in the N8 and will it be resolved with the next SW-upgrade?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Re: N8 unable to connect to weak Wifi signal

Similiar problem here. I have 80% at home but when I'm holding the phone in landscape and obscure wifi antenna with my hand, which is on top, signal is fluctuating badly and drops to 40%. Even if I already have established wifi connection, email client tries to connect via 3G. Something is not right.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

You better set your packet-data connection from when available to when needed.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't know about Krisq, but I set my packet data to "when needed" from the moment I got my N8. Obviously, this is not the solution. Anyone please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

There is no real solution to this WiFi signal issue. Wi Fi signal strenghts vary. You could change channels in the router or accesspoint ti increase performance.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Employee

If you have in the same destination group both WLAN and 3G access points defined, the connection will switch to 3G if the WLAN field is too weak. This is done on purpose but there's some modifications expected in the coming software release where the switching wouldn't occur as easily as with the current software version 011.012. This could help in case of weaker WLAN fields.

It's worth checking also that there's nothing interfering with the WLAN signal if the device doesn't stay properly connected to WLAN. Check e.g. that Bluetooth is not enabled in the device while using WLAN (Bluetooth may use the same frequency range with WLAN and cause interference for WLAN signal) and that there are no other WLAN networks in the neighbourhood operating on the same channels.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks Nokia Technical Expert. This is the answer I (we) was looking for.  I am glad Nokia experts are present on this forum. Now I know the problem will be resolved soon.

Any idea when the new upgrade will be available?

Please use plain text.
Employee

Sorry, no date confirmed yet for new software release but, please, be patient!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

While ur phone receives wifi signals, it doesn't mean the wifi router receives the N8 signals back. This issue is addressed in N95 by going to advanced settings and increasing the transmission (TX )power of the n95 itself; there are 3 settings (4mv, 10mv and 100mv) but the default one is the weakest. I can't find these settings on my N8. Maybe it could help improve wifi connection. 

Please use plain text.
usintheuk

I have been having the same problem now for a couple of days. It is NOT the router in my case as my wife also has a N8 and that works fine. I have reset mine to factory defaults and also copied the settings that are on my wife's N8 so it must be an hardware issue.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Is power saving mode enabled or disabled?

Go to Menu > Settings > Connectivity > WLAN > Options > Settings > Power Saving = Disabled.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
RedFoxLeo

This problem is not solved yet like the site says: I have been having the same problem now for a couple of days. It is NOT the router in my case as my wife also has a N8 and that works fine. I have reset mine to factory defaults and also copied the settings that are on my wife's N8 so it must be an hardware or Firmware issue. besides I took my N8 to the service center in Cairo, Egypt, and they stole the antenna and the spacer behind the camera button.

Please use plain text.
Geemick

This is what you must do . Find MAC address of your phone by dialing  *#62209526#. Go to your router settings and see if your wireless MAC filter is enabled. If it is enabled then you must add your phone MAC address to the WIRELESS CLIENT MAC LIST. It worked for me. Good luck!

Please use plain text.

go to menu -> settings -> connecttivity -> settings -> network destinations ->+ access point 

it should work

Please use plain text.