Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 vs N95 8GB

Counsellor
gvp1995

If comparing N8 with N82 (I did not own N95, but N82 is the same thing), clearly it is 3 years better. I thought my N82 camera was outstanding. But now coming back from a trip and comparing pictures of N8 and N82 (my wife is using it now), it is day and night. You can immediately say, looking at the screen which is which. And how about 720p HD with basically 3x optical zoom (it is not, it's 'smart zoom', but there is no degradation in quality as N8 uses all 12MP). How about 3.5g internet? N8 was a 3g phone, but was incompatible with T-Mobile, so I could not use it. And you can go on and on and on. There were several things with N82 also in the beginning, which were fixed after firmware upgrade.

There are still a few things my N8 does better: GPS data (can be solved with free app SportsTracker, not as convenient though), back up does not seem to exact OS snap shot as it was in N82, and several more. But these are all software issues, which sooner or later will be solved.

-gvp

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vanko11595

i loled hard. 5 years old phone compared to state of the art phone nokia. didn't bored to read all comments but it's funny that 5 years old nokia phone is comparable with the latest. imo n95 8gb is better than n8 except touch and clock speed. overclocking n95 will be great:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sentimentGX4

[ Edited ]

cjlim wrote:

If you haven't noticed, the N8 is smaller than most of it's competitors hence there is less room for a battery. I don't know about you but I like my phone as small as possible so I am quite happy with the N8 compromise.

I'm sorry, but I just have to call out this false statement. The N8 is a lot thicker than most of its competitors. Here's a comparison of some common phones.

iPhone 4: 9.3 mm

Motorola Droid X: 9.9 mm

Samsung Galaxy S: 9.9 mm

HTC Desire HD: 11.8 mm

N8: 12.9 mm

Nokia phones are all considerably bulkier than those of other brands. The only phones the N8 is thinner than are those with keyboards. -.-

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

The N8 is thickest at the camera only and this only a very small protrusion to contain the lens and flash. I make this protrusion to be about 3mm so most of the phone is in the region of 10mm, same as the rest. 

Anyway you should be comparing the volume. The smallest phone has the least volume. There are 3 dimensions in every object if you haven't noticed. Battery volume = capacity. 

eg, the shortest person is not necessarily the smallest.

Anyway the phones you listed have similar battery life under similar usage even if some may have bigger batteries.

Hence, I was not making a false statement!

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

cjlim wrote:

The N8 is thickest at the camera only and this only a very small protrusion to contain the lens and flash. I make this protrusion to be about 3mm so most of the phone is in the region of 10mm, same as the rest. 

Anyway you should be comparing the volume. The smallest phone has the least volume. There are 3 dimensions in every object if you haven't noticed. Battery volume = capacity.

eg, the shortest person is not necessarily the smallest.

Anyway the phones you listed have similar battery life under similar usage even if some may have bigger batteries.

Hence, I was not making a false statement!

I just measured mine, and in fact the phone is 12.9mm WITHOUT the camera bulge which just adds more.

Anyway, we all have different opinions.  I don't think it is unreasonable to say that I personally find it a big disappointment that Nokia release a phone 3 years after my last one with exactly the same battery, despite the fact that it has a processor that is twice the speed, and other technology that will use the battery faster.  Nokia recognised the problem with the N95 was battery life, which was why the N95 8GB battery was increased from 950 to 1200. Frankly, if Nokia wants to stay in the game, then they have a lot of catch-up to do, and releasing products with a better battery will be one step towards it. And it is what I would expect from Nokia.  Battery life is a big issue with all smart-phones - agreed - but the company that doesn't rise to that challenge will sink.  And what the hell is going to happen when we have processors 50% more powerful (1GHZ) or even dual-core chips next year as they have suggested - 6 hours life? - or will the battery technology suddenly improve overnight?

I am a long-time dedicated Nokia user, but not so submerged in the Nokia fan club that I have suspended all my critical thinking abilities.  Having said that, it is obvious to me that no matter how reasonable these views are, some people will deny the truth of it. So be it. No more to add to this discussion.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

I understand that there is hardware difference between a N8 or N95, but I confront it about the reliability, the utility that telephone gives you more security for example that it is not freezing that doesn't leave you without connection for battery.

For example: to my it likes more how the GPS of the N95 works, it is more intuitive,  has functions easy to understand until for an ignoramus how me. N95 have more languages or does it support more languages, with the N8 divide more  exclude important languages in the world etc.., how many firmware exist for each N8?, divided until for color.. please this is more idiot that I have seen. (Nokia Not Connecting People)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

mikwag wrote:

I just measured mine, and in fact the phone is 12.9mm WITHOUT the camera bulge which just adds more.

I did not had a pair of calipers with me when I wrote my last post in bed and just went by the specification on the Nokia website. Perhaps it is 12.9 but I presume that insluces the protective rim around the display. Regardsless, if you have been in a phone shop recently and compared the current offering of smartphones from the various manufacturers, you can't deny that the N8 is one of the more compact. In fact, that was the main reason I chose it over the E7.

if Nokia wants to stay in the game, then they have a lot of catch-up to do, and releasing products with a better battery will be one step towards it. And it is what I would expect from Nokia.  Battery life is a big issue with all smart-phones - agreed.

I don't get what you mean by catching up when everyone else is more or less in the same boat. The limitation here is battery technology and it is the same for all. Nokia as per usual will be releasing various models with various attributes, including different battery capacities. Over the course of the next few months, there will be a plethora of new models, some of which may go along the same vein as the E52/55 which has a bigger battery. Perhaps that is the phone for you when it is released. With such a wide range of models available there is no reason for everyone to buy the same one with different expectations and be disappointed. We should all just buy the one that best suits our requirements.

In the mean time, I am now getting a good 3 and sometimes 4 days from my N8 and is about the same as what I get from my N95-2 (which I still use btw) and much better than the 2 to 3 days I get from my N96 (which I also still use). Considering the bigger screen, processor etc, this shows that Nokia have worked very hard on the battery management to manage the same power resources much better.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

[ Edited ]

Nokia have made no bones about the fact that the N8 is heavily geared towards use as a multimedia device, the camera is therefore one of the most significant components of it. The xenon flash for still images and HDMI readiness for recording and playback are key selling points, and the bulge that many people are complaining about exists solely to provide space for the xenon flash pump - compare the width of the N8 (12.9mm plus pump) with the N82 (17.3mm and still a very slight bulge where the camera is fitted); until camera technolgy improves you'll never get a flash this good in a very slim phone.

There are always complaints about smartphones and their power consumption, and it is somewhat dependent on use. The sheer variety of things a smartphone can do make it virtually impossible to give reliable usage figures because each individual uses their phone differently and in different circumstances.

The figures that all manufacturers publish are based on very basic phone use:

• Talk time is the length that the phone has sustained an open GSM call in testing (you will note that Nokia and others now provide separate talktime figures for WCDMA use because the different comms methods consume different amounts of power).
  • Standby time is the time that the phone is switched on but not in use, and again is measured with under the circumstances of having a GSM signal, and in the case of 3G-capable phones, separate figures may be provided for when the phone has a WCDMA connection.

There are numerous other circumstances which impact on the life cycle of the battery charge:

• Other forms of radio signal besides GSM and WCDMA will affect power use, such as Bluetooth, WLAN, GPS and (in the case of the N8) the FM transmitter. Bluetooth should never be on if not being used, and the same goes for WLAN but herein lies an issue for the N8 - it seems very resistant to any thought of stopping WLAN scanning althogether (though to keep connections to a minimum, you can avoid having widgets that require net access active in the home screen).
  • The strength of the signal in your area will have an impact. If you have access to strong GSM and 3G/3.5G signals, you will observe better power consumption than if either is poor. A In default dual mode, your phone will connect to WCDMA where possible and resort to GSM otherwise, but if the WCDMA signal is not so good, it could drop often inw which case the phone connects back GSM and hunts for a fresh WCDMA signal. Likewise, if the GSM signal is also weak the phone will be dropping and reconnecting its signal often; and obtaining a signal of any kind uses more power than maintaining a good signal.
  • What's on the screen? The N8's AMOLED screen consumes significantly less power than an equivalent back-lit LCD screen under most circumstances, but it is still major source of power consumption when in use and if the screen is kept with white ot bright coloured-screens for any length of time, consumption will be higher than LCD.

There have been a number of model comparisons which have compared the N8's battery life favourably against other popular smartphones, and one other user in this thread has said that his N8 is much better than his HTC Desire - so it is completely unfair to mark the N8 down as a bad smartphone on its battery life.

Moderator note: correction made at the request of the author

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

I loved my N95-2, but it was very much of it's time.

it can't hold a candle to the N8.
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tahvo

Im a old N95 8G user and I have to say N8 is better but N95 is like solid gold that is Nokias Brand phone. Hopely N95 will last 10 years like those old 6000 model phones

Please use plain text.

I know you guys are comparing the N8 with the N95, but earlier this year I deserted my N95-8 for the dreaded iPhone 3GS- bad mistake,

for the last couple of months I have had the sim card in the N95-8 as it holds 3G signals better than the iPhone, doesnt drop calls like the iPhone, in fact you can use the N95-8 as a "phone"  or an internet tool.   Maybe the old ones are the best.

In my book the N95-8 is a vastly superior product to the iPhone, just lacking an onscreen keyboard.   I will never listen to a phone salesperson again

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N8 vs. N95, N85, E71, etc....

[ Edited ]

We all hope that a new device from a company who has had the experience of making good hand sets and fixing its bugs over the years works as good as their 2-3 year old device. Why should' nt it? Well wishful thinking. We all know what happened with N97 and hoping that this is not the case with the N8.

I know so many long time Nokia users when their N97 kept failing, they wowed not to ever get another Nokia until Nokia made a phone that did not have problems. Everyone talks about the useless iphone and you can bet why? It works fine. no lagging, fast transition of phone and web, etc. iphone was designed very simple with no functionality of its own out of the box. Then the user had to constantly buy Apps to do simple tasks available on most Nokia handsets right out of the box. When their iphone failed it was not apple that was at fault but rather the app maker.

I personally still use my N95. It has yet to let me down with a phone call or Google map, Internet voice call, Joiku Modem and more. It does overload at times due to its tiny Ram but I can rely on it %100.

Can you rely on your N8? I can't

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hite

i think you are right i purchsed N95 8gb Before 3 years & used it 2 years then i purchsed iphone , smasung , lg expansive phone but finaly i back to n95 8gb this time i purchsed second end old n95 8gb i sya one one world noika best model in 10 years are 5510 , 3300 , 6600 & n95 8gb this mobiles called real mobile & this model win nokia in world . no one can bit this modle even nokia it self not give this type of moble in future. Thanks friends...... happy life
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

mikwag wrote:

So - I'll wait and see what Nokia comes up with - for this round I am keeping faith - I expect them to keep faith also .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the recent announcements related to Symbian, it seems my faith was misplaced.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Mauricio

I have also moved from a N95 8gb to a N8 and my only disappointment is that N95 8gb was the very first mobile to support DLNA, but at that time there were no TVs which DLNA support and now that there are lots ot TV with DLNA support, the N8 does not have it....

Regarding battery life, my N95 used to last 2-3 days with a brand new battery, but at that time I also didn't liked to use Facebook and Twitter at my mobile and I didn't had my email configured for automatic updates.

When I start to really use it as a internet device, with mail, facebook, twitter, Latitude notifications and with an already old battery I've managed to get through most of the day 10-14 h without charging the phone.

With my N8, I keep doing the listed activities and I'm listening to music through the BT Audio of my car 1-2 hours per day, web browsing, Wellness Diary is always on (Step counter) somedays I do watch an episode of a TV series and I have it working without problem for about 18 hours.

I really can´t complain about the battery life, besides I do have a charger in my car, at home and at office, if I feel that I used more than normal and I need more juice for the end of the day.

Best regards,

Mauricio

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vanko11595

i loled hard at this topic. the single point that it is possible compare two phones with about 6 years difference is a **bleep** funny. funny for nokia not for its customers

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
russellh1975

Just to add that I agree,  the N95 was a great phone.  I held on to mine for years before I upgraded to the N8 which I find slow and the processes illogical.  I have just sold my N8 which is about 4 months old for £200 and bought a very good condition N95 for £50.  I wont be buying Nokia again simply because I feel they have lost there touch.  I bought them because they are robust and accepted they always release phones before fully tested.  There are so many good competitors out there now meaning Nokia is just outclassed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CoreCrack

Well what can you expect of course N95 8GB will use more battery I mean that phone is a "BEAST" I mean the size and the power those 2 strong speakers and big screen something's gotta power that up
Can't compare with today's phone's it's like doing a comparison of a princes and a minotaur
Great job on N95 8GB
Best the Nokia ever made
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Fernando_Cabral

I'm amazed! When he says "The N8 constantly fails, it  freezes,  doesn't respond, it loses sign", he perfectly summarizes the performance of my N8 and my wife's N8, we both bought a year ago (we always had Nokias and liked them very much; until then).  Even after updating the phone sofware, as recommended by Nokia, in Nov 2012, it keeps failing, freezing and not responding very, very, very constantly!

Please use plain text.