Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N81 8GB - "General: Memory Full. Close some applic...

N81 8GB - "General: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again."

Hi everyone,

I have had my Nokia N81 8GB for over three months know and for the last three weeks I haven't been able to send text messages.

I get the follwoing error when I check the details on the error : - "Unable to send message: number of person sending to". If I click on detail I get the following error "General: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again."

What's really stupid is that I have 6 and a half gb free memory and also there is only one application running which is the music player (it cant be turned off of closed from the application list).

I sent it back to nokia and they flashed the phone to it's original settings. I restored the phone to it's original state and I still get the error message.

I have checked the message centre number with 02 and also I have got the latest software from Nokia rthrough the software updater.

ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHY THIS IS HAPPENING? I NEED HELP AS I HAVE UNLIMITED TEXT AND I CAN'T USE THEM!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
only_inder

Re: N81 8GB - "General: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again."

yeh I had the same issue, I have fixed it.

1. you can change your memory in use

Menu>messaging>option>settings>other, select mass memory

if it doesnt solve the issue, format your phone using *#7370# lock code 12345 , it will 100% solve the issue but if you restore your data back from the harddrive of the phone or from the pc, the issue will come back again..
Please use plain text.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't it really stupid that you reset everything and restore it and still have the same problem?

I tried the memory in use. It didn't work.

I'll have to put the music and other stuff back in manually and I guess you lose all your messages?

Thanks only_inder
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Messages, Contacts, Calendar, and other data are stored in the C: drive also known as Phone Memory.

If you fill your phone memory then things will begin to not run as phone memory is used also to cache files (like for the browser, Gallery, etc.), so you need to monitor your Phone Memory usage and delete old stuff to keep it free.

You CAN do it manually. Use the File Manager to find out how much free Phone Memory you have.

Delete or uninstall programs and themes and ringtones that you DO NOT use.

Delete Old messages and emails.

MUST Delete To Do lists and Calendar entries that are old.

Again you should try to keep at least 2-4 MB of free Phone Memory.

If you follow these simple housekeeping steps you won't need to RESET your device all the time or keep running into out of memory issues.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have over 10Mb of memory in my phone and over 1000 Mb of memory in my card.
But no matter what memory I use for messages, it still say I cannot send because memory is full.

Please HELP!
Please use plain text.

i had the same problem too.we need to clear the memory in the melbox and internet cache n history at one period of time.

i seem that some of application that we install into our mass memory doesnt all goes to the mass memory but also in the phone memory...

its kinda lame nokia make the phone memory so small while the other is so big. could at least 128 M or so...or just let ourself make the partition of that 8 G.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jericho

Just make it a habit to delete messages in your inbox once in a while and clearing your browsers cache as well..And it is not advisable to installed apps in the phone memory, as much as possible save and installs apps to the phone memory if it is required to be save there otherwise put it in your sd card or memory card.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

help!!i tried..formatting the phone using the lock code and other ways you gave,unfortunately ,still pops up says,memory full delete some dta,i did already,delete old msgs,outbox,sen msgs,drafts,mailbox -all cleared!what else should i delete?for me to sent messages??casn somebody help?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

What's the status of:

a) Phone memory
b) Mass storage
c) RAM (you need some third party app to see this if you don't have one then just a and b)

If a and b are ok (there's at least 2 MB of free memory) then you are running out of RAM.

Have you install some programs that are always running, like SPAM blockers, anti-virus, Mail for Exchange, etc.?

You may need to uninstall some of them so that they don't eat up your RAM.

Also remove any special Wallpaper you have and use the default theme this should save some RAM.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rocco8gb

HI guys i got a big problem...when i go to gallery and list my pictures it says: "Gallery:Memory full.Close some applications and try again." PLZ help the phone is 2 days old and it has got 7 gigs of free memory and no applications were running !!

THANXXXXX =)))
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

What's the status of:

a) Phone memory
b) Mass storage
c) RAM (you need some third party app to see this if you don't have one then just a and b)

If a and b are ok (there's at least 2 MB of free memory) then you are running out of RAM.

Have you install some programs that are always running, like SPAM blockers, anti-virus, Mail for Exchange, etc.?

You may need to uninstall some of them so that they don't eat up your RAM.

Also remove any special Wallpaper you have and use the default theme this should save some RAM.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi there,

i got the same prob with my phone N95 but that is when i bouught a new memory card that wasnt provided by nokia or to say was from third party distributors, etc:kingston. & so i just use the mmc that was given together when the phone was bought, there was lest problem,just hanging at times if i dont switch off the phone aft a wk or so.. but i could axcess all my data & save my massages expecially. Hope this will help.

external memory card do big diff onto you phone performance in a bad way.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

uhmmm.. how do i delete my cache manually?? for some reason i can not use the internet.. :smileysad:( idk wat to do.. :smileysad: can somebody help me???
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Open the browser.

Then select "Clear Privacy Data" and you will see the options there to clear the Internet Cache.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

you're the best, totally about to hit it off the wall there, many thanks, Ceefur
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi guys,

When I check the phone memory status its says 24 MB used.. and the breakup provided only adds up to 700 kb!! Where is the rest of this memory held up? I cant find anything in the file browser.. Are there any hidden folders?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Nokia N73 - "General: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again."

Hi,

I have the same problem with Nokia N73, when i try to send a text message it brings me an error: General Memory full:close some applications and try again. But i am having 27mb of phone memory and 1gb of the memory on card free. However, sometimes when i restart my phone it starts working properly and i can send messages but now it is not working anyway...I tried to keep it off for some time....and took the battery out even....but still it is showing the same error with different sim card too.

Please help....

Regards.
Abid Sultan
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamesshaw

dadon_786 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have had my Nokia N81 8GB for over three months know and for the last three weeks I haven't been able to send text messages.

I get the follwoing error when I check the details on the error : - "Unable to send message: number of person sending to". If I click on detail I get the following error "General: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again."

What's really stupid is that I have 6 and a half gb free memory and also there is only one application running which is the music player (it cant be turned off of closed from the application list).

I sent it back to nokia and they flashed the phone to it's original settings. I restored the phone to it's original state and I still get the error message.

I have checked the message centre number with 02 and also I have got the latest software from Nokia rthrough the software updater.

ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHY THIS IS HAPPENING? I NEED HELP AS I HAVE UNLIMITED TEXT AND I CAN'T USE THEM!!

I have an o2 N81 8GB and am equally concerned about memory. I'm just trying to see how full it gets before I get to this situation.

memory in use: 16mb

9334 free memory

with messages at 533kb - I've got about 660 messages at the moment.

I've installed fring and opera to the memory card.

Was this one of the N81s that came with FIFA 2008? Scrubbing using *#7370# and then not installing the sis file will clear about 4gb by my reckoning.

If you've downloaded Nokia Maps 2, the sis file sits on the phone memory - i've not found how to remove it yet.

Don't forget to clear the cache after web browsing

3210 - 8310 - 3230 - 6230 - 6280 - e65 - n95 - n81 8gb - e71 - X6
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've got a similar problem with my N81 8Gb, file manager is telling me I have 23mb in use with only 1.3mb free, but it only lists a total of 350kb being used by the various bits (messages, pictures, etc) so where has my memory gone and how can I find out ? ?

everything I install I install to the mass memory but still memory is disappearing!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just had a memory full problem with my N85. I searched with file manager but couldn't find any large files. When I did a memory scan on the phone it said that 73Mb was in "Other files". I reset my phone, but all that did was lose all my settings - the memory was still full.

I went to clear my web cache and discovered a heap of Web feeds sitting in the phone (Internet/Web feeds). I deleted these and instantly freed up 56Mb. I had accidently been transferring these in when syncing my calendar and contacts with Outlook on my PC. I didn't know that Outlook had been picking up all these web feeds.

Anyway after a few wasted hours I have my phone working again, deleted all the web feeds from Outlook and removed them from the syncronisation.

Please use plain text.