Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N82 and Skype

N82 and Skype

Hi,
Does anyone here have any experiences with installing Skype on the Nokia N82?
Has anybody made it work?
Please let me know if it is possible.
Kind Regards
Lars
Counsellor

Re: N82 and Skype

Hi,
I've installed 'fring'. It's a free software and I find it very usefull.

Fring manages skype, msn, yahoo msg and other. I tried it just with skype, and It works fine both for calling and chatting.
Counsellor

Some 3rd party S60 clients that support Skype:

- www.fring.com. VoIP client and nothing to do with the embedded Nokia Internet Telephony client. Works best over WLAN and 3G as 2G networks have often longer packet delays that impact voice quality.

- www.iSkoot.com. Uses your local and normal GSM minutes to make normal GSM calls - not totally "free" VoIP, but if can use your local GSM minutes to call your Skype buddy in another country, that's pretty good deal. Works everywhere as long you have just GSM network available and GPRS packet connection for Skype presence information.

Both support Skype chat
Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register at http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Yeah, use Fring. It is free and works with Skype, MSN and Yahoo.

Registered Member

Hi, can someone please explain why you would want to install Skype on the N82? Free calls I presume?
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Yes, free calls Skype to Skype and cheap calls using Skypeout. Great for when you travel abroad as most hotels and cafes have free wifi. Not so good for the networks :smileywink:

Counsellor

'Lo there,

I've tried Fring, still have it installed. It does not work well, at all for me, in terms of audio quality.
I've tried only over wifi, talking to a user on MSN.

Connecting over wifi, with 100% signal quality, should be best condition, no? This was at home, within 3 meters of my wifi router.

Sound was really **bleep**. Lag, packet loss, .. Could hardly make anything of what the other side was telling me.

I wonder if there is a Skype version especially for N82 or compatible.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]
I hear that Skype have just released their own software for the Symbian platform but I hve not had a chance to try it yet.

However, I have been using fring for more than a year now and my experience is generally pretty satisfactory.Please note that call quality is dependent on connection on both sides. The poor quality could be due to your friends connection and not yours.

Message Edited by cjlim on 10-Mar-2008 08:58 AM

Counsellor

The Skype application shipping Hutch 3G phones is actually made by iSkoot. Basicly the same application is available from iSkoot.com - with small difference e.g. branding & feature set.
Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register at http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html
Counsellor

Hey there,

Yea, I do know all about connection both sides, etc..
I should have mentioned I've accounted for that. I've tried
MSN on PC, Skype on PC, speaking to same user, from same
place ,home.
Unfortunately while sounds is crips & clear on msn,skype, it is not so on my nokia , fring.

So I just wanted to try another client for skype, msn.
If it won't make difference then of course I have to see for problems elsewhere.
Counsellor

Thanks for suggestion, I should try that one out (if there is version for my phone)
Counsellor

ISkoot client uses normal GSM as bearer and uses VoIP in the backbone. Quality should be as good as you get in your operator network.

Fring is using VoIP all the way from your handset. I would not use fring over 2.5G GPRS/EDGE networks as 2G data networks have more delayes than 3G & WLAN networks. Additionally never use hidden SSIDS at home with your WLAN AP as it will increase battery consumption due to hidden SSID scans.

You may also try Gizmo. It is using Nokia build VoIP client. www.gizmovoip.com. My wife uses from home with her N80 and so far the voice quality has been great. But you cannot call your Skype buddies with the Gizmo client.
Counsellor

Btw, I did not find ISkoot client for N82.

Among the available versions, I saw one for N81, and N95. Will any of these work on N82 ?

i have E65 and its not it the downloadable list for iskoot.. so i downloaded iskoot for N73 and it works fine. i suggest u to download any other iskoot for different models.
Counsellor
raovb

V01d,

I am trying Nimbuzz on my N82. The clarity seems crisp and I am talking about calls on GPRS/EDGE! On Wifi it is much better. I am still calling a few of my friends to check clarity. You might wanna give it a shot. I like fring only for messaging. For voice calls it is horrible.

Vj 

Registered Member
uifei

N82 and Skype

N82 and original Skype Software works great.

The installation is very simple.

Go to skype and get your installation file by getting SMS of Skype Download service on your mobile.

There's only a little problem: Close Skype, do not unscriped your account.

Do not use m.skype.com or skype.com/m

Check out latest firmware V 35.0.002 N82 Nokia.

Registered Member
uifei

It works great! N82 and original Skype Software
Registered Member
thqidwai

Hi, I have installed it on my N82, at first it wasnt opening at all and caused the phone to hang, now it opens fine but doesnt let me sign in, it keeps circling, I am also looking for the resolution

Registered Member
imsillynfunny

From your N82 phone, go to OVI store and download/install skype from there. It works.

I had experienced the same problem like you had when attempting to install from skype.com/m or SMS. I also tried to download it from Nokia Suite on my PC, it did not work. Only the download from OVI store works. Hope it helps!