Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N85 - "Format Phone" didn't restore originally bun...

Counsellor

N85 - "Format Phone" didn't restore originally bundled apps...?

Hi all...

I wanted to reset my new N85 to factory settings, remove all data and apps I'd put on it, etc.

So I tried all of:

1. "Hard Reset" (aka "3-fingered salute" with 3 days on power-up).

2. *#7780#

3. *#7370#

(just to see how each one behaved).

The last one I did was *#7370* ("Format Phone").  I would think this would restore all the original software that had been on it.  However, in "Installed Applications" it had nothing at all, and "N-Gage" was missing as well (it had been installed when I got the phone).

Does anyone know if, perhaps, "*#7780#" restores those programs?  Or do some things just disappear completely and can't be retored (except perhaps from the CD that came with the phone)?

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N85 - "Format Phone" didn't restore originally bundled apps...?

By the way, I didn't mean, by the above, that the phone had NO apps on it.  Just that all of what had been in the "Installed Apps" list was missing from when I'd look at it.  However, I had also installed, and then removed, Exchange support, as well as having removed N-Gage... both may have left some bits installed, but it sure looked like there were a bunch of apps/libraries installed that aren't shown now.

I would try resetting with *#7780# to check if that restores things that *#7370# doesn't, but I'd rather not after just spending a couple of hours restoring the old settings and contacts.  So if anyone knows what's happen to what I'd seen in "Installed Apps", I'd much appreciate it. :-)

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

By definition, "bundled" software is not part of the firmware, it is something extra that you're given with the base software. By reformatting the phone you restored its original "virgin" state before the bundled software was added. It is lost now.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

grschinon wrote:
By definition, "bundled" software is not part of the firmware, it is something extra that you're given with the base software. By reformatting the phone you restored its original "virgin" state before the bundled software was added. It is lost now.

Well, it was more I that was calling it "bundled".  I'd assumed that "Factory" condition would be the way it arrived when I ordered it; I didn't get it from a provider, but from Dell (and thus from Nokia), so it hadn't been customized for the seller.  I had assumed that Nokia doesn't flash it with more than what would be installed if you did a factory restore on it.

- Tim

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

if you know what apps you are 'missing' you should be able to download them from nokia site and/or from nokia betalabs. all phones get apps put on for regions dependent services. there is no nokia music in the us, in other regions it is a service that nokia provides therefore it is loaded on the phones. grschinon is right and not you did not get 'jipped' it is what it is once you do a restore. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Sage
saeed1133

[ Edited ]

as "grschinon" said, bundled apps are not part of firmware and you should download them yourself.

for example you can download N-Gage engine application from its website. it's only 9 MB.

i think other apps are like so this.

Message Edited by saeed1133 on 31-Jan-2009 07:57 PM
Nokia N79 4GB
SW Version: 32.001 RM-348 MEA
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

N85 - Format Phone

Formating Phone back to Factory Default Setting By

1. POWER OFF your phone.

2. PRESS AND HOLD * + 3 + CALL BUTTON when power ON your phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: N85 - Format Phone

There's no need to do a hard reset if the phone can process a soft reset (*#7370#). Also, the key combo isn't the same for all phones (eg. how do you press the * and 3 keys at startup on a touch device like the 5800?).

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
altamari

I wont to format my n85 how can do it ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Memory card via PC  USB mass storage  .

Phone

Soft reset  wipes no data  *#7780#

Hard reset reverts to factory settings wipes phone data and formats phone   *#7370#

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

*#7780# is not a soft reset. That's *#7370#.

The hard reset is powering the phone up with the *, 3 and call buttens pressed in.

*#7780# just restores factory default settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

[ Edited ]

If you're trying to solve a problem use this code first! ..

*#7780# "soft reset" :sets factory defaults WITHOUT erasing your data.

Thats what happens on my phone   .

Just done it   boots back to normal screen no loss of data .Settings change to factory default .

Use this code if you REALLY must

*#7370# "hard reset" : sets factory defaults AND deletes your data!

That one boots to the choose country date and time screen  ie new factory set up.

Thats whats on the pool of knowledge  .

Thats what happens on my phone  .

As i understand the three finger salute is just a bypass keyboard method as its identical in operation /results to a 7370 .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

*#7370# is a soft reset, so-called because it provokes a reset in response to a software condition, ie. the key sequence *#7370# being trapped.

The hard reset is so-called because it provokes a reset in response to a hardware condition, ie. three keys being pressed at startup.

*#7780# doesn't reset anything. It simply restores factory default settings.

Please use plain text.