Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N95 8GB SUPER SLOW USB TRANSFER PROBLEM

Advisor

N95 8GB SUPER SLOW USB TRANSFER PROBLEM

can someone please tell me why it takes 2 hours to transfer 654 mp3s onto my N95 8GB via USB and it only takes 6 minutes to transfer the same songs onto my iPod nano 8GB

N95 8GB transfer time: 2 hours
iPod nano transfer time: 6 minutes

something is not quite right :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
abakliwal

Well..I don't think you'll be ever able to achieve the same data transfer rate as you do on your iPod.. but 2 hours is really unacceptable..
It takes around 8 mins for me to transfer 700MB video file..
Maybe a soft reset.. or reinstallin the firmware might help..?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

when i transferred all maps of western europe it took ages.not as quick when done with card reader on original n95.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Well the MAPS issue is different as the speed is affected by the Speed of the MAPS server, and NOT the transfer speed of USB.

The speed of the USB in FILE TRANSFER or MASS STORAGE MODE or MUSIC TRANSFER is about 700-800 KBps (that's kilo bytes). So 700 MB should take about 17 mins and not 2 hours.

If you are using PC Suite or Bluetooth, then you getter do the transfers overnight as they do take a loooong time.

Bottom line, use File Transfer or Music Transfer (Windows Media Player is needed) to tranfer music or other files.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

That's not slow. I'm just finishing a transfer on my basic N95 using the PC Suite transfer music function to update a new 4GB card. 500 songs, started 2200 hrs last night, it's now 1645 hrs and there is still about 20 songs to go. Admittedly, I'm converting them all from mp3 to m4a as I go, and it's all working, but 20 hrs for 500 songs seems just a bit much. I had previously transferred 3 DivX movies each around 300MB using the mass transfer mode and they copied over OK in just a few minutes.

Is it the conversion that's causing the delay or the number of songs selected? I have transferred 5 or 6 songs at a time previously with nothing like these delays. Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Version 15 adds some speed boost up to N95 8 GB.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

[ Edited ]
If you're using the Transfer Music option in PC Suite, then you're connected in PC Suite mode, which *is* very slow - ways slower than with an iPod.

A much faster way to transfer the files would be to connect in Data Transfer mode and drag and drop the files to the Sounds/Digital folder. This is about as fast as the iPod as it seems to only be limited by the speed of your USB.

If you're not prompted to select your connection mode when you connect the USB, the options are (something like):

Menu .. Connect .. Data Cbl

Then select "Ask on connection"

Of course, for those with cards, the fastest way is to use a card reader (particularly if, like me, it's built in to your lappy).

Message Edited by patc on 10-Jan-2008 09:30 AM
Please use plain text.

Sorry Patc, my N95 8GB "suffer" from the same usb speed "sickness".It is general problem by Nokia.
Option "data transfer mode" speed up not happen in my case.
Usb speed is limited to 12Mbps theoreticaly, practically max. of 1MB/s.

If I check *#0000# then I get:
V 20.0.016
28-02-08
RM-320
Nokia N95 (68.01)

according to this source:
http://www.n82blog.com/2008/02/nokia-and-usb-20-high-speed.html
http://phonereport.info/2008/04/12/usb-data-transfer-test-n95-8gb-vs-8800-arte/

This Full-Speed USB 2.0 announcement is just bla bla bla, black on white paper.
It's firmware or hardware limitation?
However, may be firmware.
Some hardware guru here?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jihongfei119

it is too strange !i know my n95 8g is so slow but it wont spend 2 hours for 600m! only 40 or 40 mins!
my fw is v20!
i find if u use data transfer it can quick a little!u can try!
Do better than the best!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same problem with both my N95 8GB's, one has v20.0.0.16 and the other the original v15.something. Both were reasonably fast to start with, but something has changed that made them both slow. I've tried at least 4 different pc's and I've tried upgrading the fw on the one phone but nothing helps.

For example: one day I started making a backup of the phone at 8:30AM, including mass memory, at 4:30PM when I wanted to go home, it had come up to 9%! i.e. content copier is totally useless for a backup this way; I need my phone with me, I can not keep it hooked up to my pc for that long a time just to make a backup... In fact the battery will run empty before the backup finishes.

Another example is trying to get photo's off of the phone using windows' digital camera feature. It times out trying to connect to the camera after something like half an hour it has not found even 1 photo.

If anyone has got a solution, please share it.
Please use plain text.

i have the same problem, i bay a N95 8GB US for his music and video capability, but i found out that the files transfer is horrible 600MB take me 1,5 hours it totally unacceptable. i am very frustrated with it ...

i trade to use 3 other PC and no one of theme had a suitable speed transfer, the problem is that is specifically was say to me that the nokia N95 8 GB support the USB 2.0 ??? the nokia support told me that the nokia have the USB 2.0 capability and the problem is my computers. i realy don't understand i have 2 PC running in Xp and one in VISTA 32bit all of theme ...

so if some nokia gouru can help me to resolve this stupid situation i will appreciate
thank you
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

try installing the latest usb drivers from your motherboard manufacture as some people still use the oldest USB drivers.
If you find my post useful then click on
Kudos!
Nokia N96 (v20.050 / RM-247)
Please use plain text.

thank you for advise,

i noticed that there are a conflict between the OVI, PC-suite for N series, and the traditional PC-suite. i uninstall all of them include all driver related with all my nokia's phone and i install only the traditional PC-suite with "INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets" for my motherboard . i notice that the transfer files for 600mb is around 20 minutes it steel not good for someone ho buy a phone special for music (500$) it relay **bleep** me of ... any way i suggest for people ho have the same problem : is to reinstall there utility with new USB driver ...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

these nokia drives with mass storage mode should allow faster file transfer but still it no good and its false advertising when saying USB 2.0 fast data transfer. if use a usb v2.0 you will see the difference in transferring the files.
Kudos!
Please use plain text.

i am totaly agree with you the advertase for USB2.0 like there : http://www.nseries.com/nseries/v3/media/sections/products/tech_specs/en-R1/tech_specs_n95_8gb_en_R1....

its false advertising.

but i am wondering why they are steel saying it is USB 2.0, and why thy can't optimize the transfer file ???
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

think it should say USB v1.0 more like
Kudos!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
I am agree, the speed of the USB is slow, and is not USB 2.0 HS

This is only the bad of this phone..

May be solved with firmware, because can be a limit of symbian???..

Message Edited by ediaz on 20-Jan-2009 07:35 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
blackslash

Such problems can happen due to faulty USB cables, try using a different cable

Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

If it's of any interest I've been using a small app called TeraCopy for file transfers (this ain't spam, just trying to help!). On viewing this thread I decided to do quick test - copying 196MB MP4 file from PC ( XP SP2, Pentium4, 2GB RAM) to N95 8GB (V20.0.016).

TeraCopy: 4 mins 22secs @819KB/s.

Windows: over 7 mins @(? work it out).

Not exactly blinding speed but some improvement, something to do with fact Windows treats all files same way but the app uses more intelligent streaming.

I know there's other hardware/software factors in determining speeds as already mentioned, just thought I'd add this option.
Please use plain text.