Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N95 8Gb - hard reset?

Advisor

N95 8Gb - hard reset?

Hi!

I'm having a few problems with my N95 8Gb and I am considering a hard reset. I have a couple of questions -

What code do I need to enter to hard reset the handset?
Will any information be deleted from the handset?

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,

Alan
Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

Re: N95 8Gb - hard reset?

*#7370# then the password is 12345.
Yes, all of your data will be deleted, so make sure to do a backup first.
Feel free to hit the KUDOS button if you think I deserved it.........
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

09-Jun-2008 12:12 PM
rpgs_player wrote:
*#7370# then the password is 12345.
Yes, all of your data will be deleted, so make sure to do a backup first.

Please do not spread misinformation. *#7370# is a soft reset.

The procedure for the hard reset is:

1) Make sure phone is fully charged and switch it off.

2) Press simultaneously the green "call" button, '*' and '3', and keep them down.

3) With those 3 keys down, switch the phone on.

4) Only release the 3 keys when the phone shows signs of life such as the Nokia logo or the language selection screen.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

*#7370# is a hard reset and does exactly the same as "Press simultaneously the green "call" button, '*' and '3', and keep them down." The latter is a last resort when everything else fails.

*#7380# is the soft reset.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the replies!

What is the difference between 'hard' and 'soft' resets in terms of data loss/settings etc?

Regards,

Alan
Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

Both of you should try google............it's so painfully easy to search those codes.
REAL one:
*#7370# is hard reset
*#7780# is soft reset

And nalab1, hard reset will delete all datas while soft reset will not delete the datas.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

OK, sorry for the typo - soft reset is indeed *#7780#. Thanks for the helpful suggestion, but I don't really need to google for something I do on a daily basis and I apologise once again if my typo has misled anyone.

Format phone (=Hard reset) restores phone to as if it was out of the box. Retains firmware version and operator Variant changes but wipes all applications you have installed. Does not format the memory card so any apps on there may reinstall once powered back up again.

Factory Reset (=Soft reset) resets all settings to defaults but keeps any applications you have installed and photos etc. Both need the Security code, which, by default, is 12345.

Another way to format some symbian phones: Power off phone. Press and hold Green, * and 3 and keep them held whilst powering on and for a few seconds after, if kept pressed this formats without asking for Security Code confirmation.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

*#7780# is "reset to factory defaults"

*#7370# is a soft reset - soft in that it happens through software as a routine called in response to the keycode.

"call"/'3'/'*' is a hard reset in that you're forcing the reset by hardware. The phone scans for those keys being pressed at startup and it goes into greater depth than *#7370#.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

09-Jun-2008 10:03 PM
grschinon wrote:
*#7780# is "reset to factory defaults"

*#7370# is a soft reset - soft in that it happens through software as a routine called in response to the keycode.

"call"/'3'/'*' is a hard reset in that you're forcing the reset by hardware. The phone scans for those keys being pressed at startup and it goes into greater depth than *#7370#.

Where did you get that info?
Most google explain as I said before.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

It's mainly those who are unaware of the 3-finger salute who think that *#7370# and *#7780# are the only reset methods on S60 phones.

Most of all though, I think it's a question of terminology. People call *#7780# a soft reset because it does less than *#7370#, but in actual fact it doesn't reset anything other than user settings in the phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

So you mean soft reset can erase datas too? I think it's not the definition of soft reset.
As far as I know only hard reset can do that.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

AFAIK, the soft reset (*#7370#) will do the same as the "revert to factory settings" (*#7780#) and erase user data in the phone's central memory (but not the memory card).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

So is this the "correct" way of listing the codes?

Reset to factory defaults (*#7780#) : Restores settings but preserves user data (photos, 3rd party apps etc).

Soft Reset (*#7370#) : This reformats completely the C: drive. All user data, applications and files stored on this drive will be lost and clean default files will be rewritten.

Hard reset:

1. Switch off the phone.

2. Hold down the following three buttons: Green (the call answer button), * button, and '3' button.

3. While holding these buttons, press the power button and switch on the phone.

4. Release when the phone shows the nokia logo or shows other signs of life like the language selection screen.
Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

So what's the difference between hard and soft reset anyway:confused:apart from how to do it)
The result is still the same IIRC.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I'm fairly sure that that is correct. I'm obviously open to correction from a Nokia source.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

09-Jun-2008 05:38 PM
rpgs_player wrote:
So what's the difference between hard and soft reset anyway:confused:apart from how to do it)
The result is still the same IIRC.

Only Nokia can give the full details (and they might not want to....)

The hard reset, I think, cleans more system variables out and allows the phone to boot in a known, "clean" state before performing the rest of the *#7370# reset operation.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Cheers. I would test it out to confirm but I really can't be bothered to reload everything! :smileyvery-happy:

There's so much contradicting info out there about the two codes.

I've read that the hard reset is a more aggressive form of reset that solves more issue, such as bluetooth not being able to turn on.
Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

Is there any site that clearly explains the definition of soft and hard reset?
So we can clearly assume what those two are.......without Nokia's help.:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I can find you a site like that, then another that says the opposite. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Please use plain text.