Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N95 Memory Card slot

Counsellor
mohamed525

N95 Memory Card slot

Is the N95 memory card slot very important?
I mean the only time I think it would be very important is if you use the memory card to take files from a computer then put them on the phone to view on micrsoft word. So you won't need a computer, but with the N95 8GB you will need the the usb wire which no one can walk around with unlike the normal N95 wich you can walk with the memory card this is the only difference but at some points in life the memory card solt can be very very very important. So this is the only thing driving me away from the N95 8GB...what does everybody think about this...is it not important...or..???
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N95 Memory Card slot

Cannot see any difference between having a N95 with memory slot(majority of people do not remove card once inserted) and a 8GB N95 with built in flash memory, its the same flash technology being used, the only difference being that you cannot remove and upgrade the memory size in the 8GB edition. As with most technology its what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend, and will be out of date in 6 months time anyway!

An alternative to using a usb cable is to send/receive data over wifi or bluetooth.
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

Obviously you guys are not very heavy users of either the camera or of more than 1000 music files.
Been a phone user since the Ericsson 318
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]
Important.

It has a 5 Megapixel camera, if you are going to take a load of photos you'd need a memory card.

They are quite cheap now.

I have loads of videos.

If it didn't have a memory card slot hardly anyone would buy it.

It's called a multimedia computer, you need memory for loads of multimedia!

Message Edited by 6280 on 26-Oct-200701:18 PM

Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

[ Edited ]
Also, while the biggest card available at the minute is 8GB, 16GB cards have been announced for January and 32GB cards can't be that far behind.

There's also the point that, even using Data Transfer mode with your USB cable, the transfer rates are dire compared to having the card in a card reader directly attached to the PC. With a mere 2GB, that's already an issue for me: what's it going to be like with 4 times that amount of data?!

Message Edited by patc on 26-Oct-200701:23 PM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mohamed525

Memeory cards are no problem to buy. The thing is that with the 8GB you have enough memory. The problem comes, when you need to transfer an important file, so you're only option would be the memory card as you won't walk around with a usb wire. Then with the memory card you can slip it back to your phone and view it using quick office or flash player. Also, memory cards are much more efficiant when swapping informaation. So its the only thing driving me away from the N95 8GB when you can just buy a memory card or delete old pics with the new things you want to upload. So is it really better to get a 8GB N95...?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It is better to get it.

Though you can tranfer files via bluetooth to any device like a computer if you have a dongle.

I don't think it'd be much of a problem.

The problem is there are better cards being released and the N95 may support them, But if you don't really need 8GB of full storage then i think you should go for it.
Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

Horses for courses: if you think 8GB is going to be enough for you then go for it.

Personally, I know that if I had more space I'd use it, no problem. I have 4 or 5GB of music that was specially converted at the lowest quality to fit more tracks on the phone so that's easily 10GB if I used decent quality. I have around 4GB of maps for Route66 and I'd like to have Nokia Maps, too as you can't really use the Route66 maps for browsing. Then there's around 2GB of podcasts waiting on my PC for a bit of space .. that's already over 16GB without really thinking about it.

I'm looking forward to 32GB cards - filling those could be a bit more of a challenge ..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

N95-1 A great phone, and I for one will not be getting the all singing, all dancing 8GB model. Not for me thanks, I prefer one with a memory card slot that I can whip the card out of and slot into a card reader in the PC. I ditched my E65 in favour of an N95 because it could use large capacity memory cards where the E65 was limited to 2GB. As others have said SD-HC cards are expected to go up to at least 32GB capacity.

Also, if a memory cards goes feet up and can't be fixed you can always fit another - but what do you do with the N95 8GB if it's 'fixed' flash memory become US? No quick fix!!!
Please use plain text.
Professor

26-Oct-200701:35 PM
mohamed525 wrote:
The problem comes, when you need to transfer an important file, so you're only option would be the memory card as you won't walk around with a usb wire.

But you'd still need to carry round a card reader!!

If 8GB is enough for you then it's up to you which you'd rather carry around with you, a card reader or a USB cable.

BUT you are missing the main points. The N95 8GB has a better battery, lots more memory for running apps, and a very slightly larger screen.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I agree with mohamed525.

My card reader is the size of a USB plug. I can take the card out of the phone and use it in the reader as a USB drive - much the fastest way to transfer data.

There are also places that you can take a card reader, but not a phone. What use is your N95 8Gb then!

s.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

I agree the n95 8gb sounds brilliant but i prefer being able to use the removeable memory card. My n95 is reliable acts as modem, media player etc. the memory card function is versatile.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mohamed525

Most Lap tops these days have built in memory card readers. So the only thing you'd need is the metal memory adapter which you can leave in your wallet. Unlike a usb wire...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Hi gordon, I agree with you. N95 8GB is the best:smileywink:
However, I prefer memory card slot cuz the USB MODE'S transfer rate is just sucking.
I put off the memory card, put it in the memory card, and drag and drop the meida files in a very reasonable faster rate, no problem.
My N91/8GB has builtin hard drive and thus I need to connect my phone as a USB Device, and the transfer rate is horrible, same to say about N81.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

as ive been saying from the beginning
as nice as the 8gb is with its battery and ram and nice black colour the original is a fw update from correcting alot of minor issues
With demand paging (hopefully) thats the ram issue solved and 8gb cards are on their way plus there will be 16gb next yearand if you look the right places you can get AN ORIGINAL NOKIA N95 black case for the original n95 not a copy
The only thing left is the battery but that is easily solved
Ever heard the saying nothing beats the original? Ha ha ha
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mohamed525

yeah, but still N95 has been improved to N95 8GB.
The 8GB now has 90MB ram on start up while the original has 18MB on start up. Over 4X better???
Also, the 8GB is much more sexier seeing I had the generic N95 before it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

[ Edited ]
mohammed, some peep just cannot tolerate N95 8GB. In evey thread tryin hard and soul to make it berated.
It aint the hardware revision-its many.
Tryin hard and soul to get the generic N95 close to N95 8GB.

The N95 8GB has better build quality,
Its HW is revisioned,
Its screen is slightly larger as GORDON says.
The battery is bigger.
The GPS is more faster.
It obviusly look sexier than N95, its nokia's credit.
The RAM will always have been better than the original one.
But that is nothing like that to ditch the generic N95. Both are fine, but not that peeps.

According to main discussion, I prefer memory card slot until nokia make real improvement making the miniUSB TRANSFER RATE much more faster.

Message Edited by korngear on 27-Oct-200705:19 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

What im stating is my personal opinion
Korngear seems to believe that his opinion is the only one that matters....the gospel according to korngear so it must be right!
Anyway as to why i prefer my original n95 the memory card is a great deal breaker for me i had issues with both n91 4gb as well as the 8gb and me and internal flash drives seem not to get along
Having used both the 8gb and the original you only notice the "bigger screen" when both devices are held together
In relation to ram the 8gb currently has better ram but with the rumoured addition of demand paging in the next firmware update of the original it sees the 18-20mb actually becoming 64mb on startup(you can verify this via allaboutsymbian.com or my blog links you to the video directly)and this is in the testing stages of demand paging
As for the nice black cover of the 8gb official nokia black covers are available for the original so you wont lose on looks either plus having both black and warm graphite covers you can interchange as the mood changes rather than just black even though its the most attractive of all the colours
The battery is the only problem but i have no problem carrying 2 batteries
And THIS IS MY OPINION AS TO WHY I WOULD KEEP MY ORIGINAL N95 IF I WANTED TO CHANGE I STILL WOULD NOT BUY THE 8GB I WOULD GET THE AMERICAN MODEL
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

who's able to buy a 8GB card? and how much for?
Please use plain text.
Sage
darkmax

I suspect the N95 8GB has a better read/write speed.
Please use plain text.