Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N95 Screen (power) Saver

Advisor

N95 Screen (power) Saver

Hi all wise people!

Can anybody help me - how to disable this damn screen saver in N95?? Can only set its time to 90 sec which makes my mobile totally useless while using my GPS application....

Is there any trick or a piece of software? Even in my old N73 I could set the time to 15 minutes which wasn't perfect but still better than **bleep** 90 sec!

Any ideas would be very welcomed....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

Re: N95 Screen (power) Saver

Very strange! Which GPS package are you using?

Most packages override autolock/sleep and also have an option to keep the backlight on continually during navigation .. at least, that's what Route66 does

menu .. preferences .. general .. backlight

and select "During Navigation"

Have you tried the following:

- switching off sleep mode?

menu .. tools .. settings .. phone .. display .. sleep mode

and select "off"

- setting power saver time-out to 30 mins

from the same menu as above.

- disabling autolock?

menu .. tools .. settings .. security .. phone and sim .. autolock period

and select "none"
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The problem is that Nokia N95 doesn't allow to disable that damn screen saver! I can only set the delay up to 90 sec. My navigation program which worked perfectly for me with my N73 - can't do nothing about N95 screen saver time. Backlight is not a problem.

Steps for configuring display in N95 are:

menu...tools...settings...general...personalisation...display

and then I have the following options:
-light sensor
-size (small,medium,large)
-screen saver delay time (5sec - 90sec - no possibility to switch it off!)
-welcome screen
-backlight time (5sec - 60sec - but no problems here at all).

So as you can see - there is no damn way to turn it off!! And I have an option in my navigation software that allows to keep my mobile 'alive' - that means backlight and so, but no matter what I try - this **bleep** screen saver turns on after 90 secs!

Each time I use my navigation I'm a step closer to sell this sh..ty N95 and buy SonyEricsson... And no support from NOKIA of course at all! When I call them - they say that yes, they have been informed about the problem - that's all! No patch, no update... Seems Nokia just wants to sell as many products as possible then forget about stupid customers.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

That's really poor for a phone that's sold as (partly) a navigation device!

Which GPS software do you have?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Most of all I use Polish sytem - Naviexpert (www.naviexpert.pl) which is the best and cheapest solution for me while travelling through Poland.
Please use plain text.

I confirm this screen saver problem is a big issue. NOKIA should reliace patch software to allow user to adjust time to timeout to screen saving
Please use plain text.

You can use S60spotOn (search it with google) it's freeware and working.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

When I leave my phone on the "desktop" as it were, I want the screen to switch off quite quickly, but if I'm in the web browser I want it to, A stay lit and B no screen saver to come on. Hell I don't want the screen saver to come on unless I have an unread message or a missed call. My 6280 got it right, that would only display the screen saver briefly when I closed it and when I had a text, it meant I didn't have to open my phone to check if I had a text. Please please please Nokia, listen to what your consumers are telling you!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Smart2go also called Nokia Maps also has a screen saver overide facility when using navigation. It is free to download from www.smart2go.com.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am having the same problem. How the heck could Nokia overlook this... I've emailed there support for help on this... What a pain...
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok, I downloaded Smart2go (thanks cjlim) and for whatever reason (I say this because I have no idea if this software put this option in) when I go to |Maps|Options|Settings|General|Backlight| and choose |Always On|, the phone no longer enters screen saver mode while using the GPS.

www.smart2go.com.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok, Official Answer from Nokia (You’ve got to be kidding me), and SOLUTION that worked for me thanks to cjlim.

Your Nokia N95 device was not manufactured to have the display or keypad lights remain continuously illuminated, unless connected to an installed Nokia car kit.

However, the display light time can extended to 60 seconds. Please follow the provided steps to adjust the display light time for your Nokia N95 device:

1. Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Personalization > Display > Light time-out > 60 seconds.

Please note that once the 60-second delay has transpired, we recommend quickly pressing the Right or the Left scroll key, which may activate the display light without exiting any menus if keyguard is not active. If the keyguard has been activated, you can turn on the display light by pressing the Power key.

Regarding the power saver feature, your Nokia N95 8 GB device was not designed with the ability to disable the power saver feature. However, the power saver’s time-out may adjust to a maximum time of 90 seconds. Please follow the provided steps to adjust your device’s power saver feature:

1. Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Personalization > Display > Power saver time-out > 90 seconds

Please note that the screen saver feature cannot be disabled.

We hope that this helps and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us. To ensure proper handling, please continue to use the current subject line.

Thank you for choosing Nokia for your mobile needs.

The Solution:

Download and install Smart2go (thanks cjlim), then go to |Maps|Options|Settings|General|Backlight| and choose |Always On|, the phone no longer enters screen saver mode while using the GPS even when on battery! Sweet!

www.smart2go.com
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bidboy

[ Edited ]
I use 'Smartlight'.

http://www.my-symbian.com/s60v3/software/applications.php?faq=1&fldAuto=298

Message Edited by bidboy on 12-Feb-2008 04:38 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zhenar_koiy