Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 Can't Lock To The Satellite

N97 Can't Lock To The Satellite

Dear all... I just bought this phone last week & I found that I can't lock this phone to the satellite if I'm using only Integrated GPS setting and disable A-GPS function (Positioning > Positioning Methods). This problem never happen with my previous N95... although it take time to get connected but it still can.. but using this N97 it take me forever waiting for the device to lock but nothing happen. I did'nt want to use A-GPS becoz my telco will charge me some amount of money for downloading packet data while I'm navigating. Has someone faced the same problem with me... pls share and if you have the solution pls advice me..... Also really hope Nokia can't solved this problem in up-coming firmware update

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I had the same problem on my 5800. Go out to a huge open space, and try it there. For example a café, and just put the phone onto the desk. After around 5-10 minutes, it will lock onto some satellites, and later that day, it will lock in less then 30 seconds :smileywink:

without aGPS, i mean. I dont want to be (and can't be) charged either (prepaid card with no money atm).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

This seems to be a common theme with the N97. I had to go into the positioning server (using AGPS) and change it from automatic to another setting. I forget at the moment. I have not tried it without AGPS but it seems that the GPS unit is taxed to the max (no pun intended) for some reason. I think that Ovi Maps is making quite many calculations and this could be slowing things down. Usually the TTFF (time to first fix) on a cold start should only be a few mins but with the N97, is can take a while. If your problem does not right itself soon, you might want to take it in for repairs.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

xsb91....

Thanks for the tips... will try soon and post the result afterward

Message Edited by johnzzz on 02-Aug-2009 05:56 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

The internal gps is weak and dependable on a-gps; I solved this problem by buying a bluetooth gps receiver with a sirfstarIII chipset for 35 euros

Well I have a Nokia 5800 and it's much cheaper than most of the smartphones out there including the N97 so the 35 euros was not a biggy.

It's a shame that such an expensive device like the N97 got such a weak gps chipset...

for more info see:

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=157820&query.id=1283434#M157820

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Phone: unbranded RM-505 N97.

Tested: indoors by putting the phone on a window sill with a partially blocked view to the sky due to a very large magnolia tree outside the window.

Test: Cold boot as the phone has been indoors for more than 12 hours and I did not use GPS the day before. I launched the GPS location icon and timed it from the time I pressed the button using my left hand. I had a fix on 5 satellites in 65 seconds without AGPS. The sky is clear with no clouds.

I run the WeGolf software program while playing golf. Have noticed on occassion that the phone loses connection and does not re-establish it without rebooting the phone.  This has occurred a couple of times in about a dozen rounds.I also find that when turning the phone on at the golf course, I have a GPS fix before I can walk to the first tee (less than 3 minutes from the car park.)

I'll test using AGPS tomorrow as the phone has already received the GPS almanac (sat positions) and every test from now on will be a warm boot. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I too noticed the poor GPS peformance of my 5800, especially in-car, and in numerous different situations/countries/networks.

Without aGPS, it's barely able to approximate your location, or real slow, needing real open space. I never had it working from a window, through a windshield reliably.

I wonder if there isn't an external antenna solution, rather than buying, charging, carrying another gps device (but thanks for the info anyway)?

Cheers

5800 Touch; 30.0.011.C02.01 dated 29/06/2009; type RM-356 Lang Set 22
--Add'd Software: PuTTY, Python, JoikuSpot, WebServer, Handwriting Calculator, PhotoBrowser, Gmail, Gmaps, Opera, OviStore, Facebook, BrightLight.
-Outstanding Issues: Phantom apps in the registry (OVI); No saving of new Access Points (Destinations).
-Minor Annoyances: EmailSetup fires every boot (Email); Ringing tone backs to default (Profiles), Google Apps do not looks with new WiFi access points.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

[ Edited ]

peacepunk wrote:

I too noticed the poor GPS peformance of my 5800, especially in-car, and in numerous different situations/countries/networks.

Without aGPS, it's barely able to approximate your location, or real slow, needing real open space. I never had it working from a window, through a windshield reliably.

I wonder if there isn't an external antenna solution, rather than buying, charging, carrying another gps device (but thanks for the info anyway)?

Cheers

The bluetooth gps receiver is compact,and goes a long time without recharging ( I did 3 trpis

4 hours total  and still didnt have to recharge) . It locks to 12 sattelites average even when it's i my pocket ( where I always keep it)

If you do mostly car navigation, just keep it in your car.. If you really want to enjoy navigation with your phone, that's an investiment that worths a try; after all. what is 25 - 35

euros when you can afford such an expensive phone( N97) ?

And for the others over here performing tests: The internal gps is weak and unstable; perhaps a-gps can help if it's an option for you ( for me it's not).

And what happens when you are abroad? Roaming costs?

I  disabled a-gps on my 5800, bought a bluetooth gps receiver with a 20 channel sirfstarIII chipset and I dont regret it for one bit.

Cheers

P.s.- I dont use Nokia maps. For serious car navigation I use Garmin XT for symbiam s60

Message Edited by beto_nl on 20-Aug-2009 02:32 AM
Message Edited by dazz19 on 20-Aug-2009 01:46 PM
Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I forgot to mention that I'm on the Optus network down here in Melbourne Australia.

Re-ran tests this morning from cold boot. Activated Integrated, AGPS and network based. The N97 achieved a satellite lock on 6 satellites in less than 40-seconds with an accuracy of around 30meters (100 yards). I'll test again tomorrow without AGPS and no network based and follow this with a test for accuracy using my Holux M1000 BT receiver.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

lol i have to send my phone back, due to the gps issue. i was driving last week and i put on the maps as we got a bit lost. mind you i have a year long license for usa, i wanted to get us home. the bloody thing would not lock into place. i was three suburbs ahead when the gps was always behind, it could not show me live map at all so that i could navigate the streets forget the voice navigation. :smileysad: i thought hmm perhaps i was just imagining no biggie. well, i launched google maps and guess what........that worked just fine....where is the sens in all this. i am a bit irritated by the fact that i have to return otherwise a perfect phone :smileysad:
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

mpierce wrote:

I forgot to mention that I'm on the Optus network down here in Melbourne Australia.

Re-ran tests this morning from cold boot. Activated Integrated, AGPS and network based. The N97 achieved a satellite lock on 6 satellites in less than 40-seconds with an accuracy of around 30meters (100 yards). I'll test again tomorrow without AGPS and no network based and follow this with a test for accuracy using my Holux M1000 BT receiver.

I can tell you right now ( guessing):

With the Hollux you'll achieve a lock to up to 15 satellites in about 2 seconds ( longer if it's a cold start) with accuracy around 5 - 10 meters :smileyhappy:

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

i dont understand. You returned the whole phone because Nokia maps sucks?

Why not install other( better) nav. programs such as Garmin, Sygic, Tomtom etc.?

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Here is my experience with my N97 GPS:

I was walking the first time I tried Ovi Maps 3.0. It took around a minute to lock and show where I am. The maps showed with an almost perfect accuracy. Then, in another day, I hold my phone next to window while I was driving and received no signal at all. I guess it fails to lock to satellite while moving. Because when I start moving the car after locking to satellites, it works almost perfectly. In a car, it needs at least two minutes to lock (which sucks when your 3mo. old baby doesn't like the car to stop, even in the red light).

I have a question. Where is the GPS receiver in this phone? I mean, can I use it in its case (CP-382, only the top is visible in this case), or do I have to take it out and put in a holder in a standing position?

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.