Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N97 Charging Battery Problem

N97 Charging Battery Problem

[ Edited ]
Had my N97 two days, first time i gave my battery a full charge with the mains charger it worked fine but now when ever i connect the mains charger my N97 wont charge it just keeps flashing with the message: unplug charger from power supply to save energy, even when my battery is low i get this problem and even if i switch my phone off it still wont charge with the mains charger but strange thing is i can charge my N97 no problem with usb cable from my pc but i cant always be near a pc to charge my battery so really need it to charge by mains how can i fix this problem? my firmware is V 10.0.012 Type RM-505
Message Edited by becky_ on 03-Jul-2009 11:35 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Re: N97 Charging Battery Problem

[ Edited ]

Try taking the battery out and try  re seating

if this doesn't work you may have a faulty unit, take it back to where you bought it and get a warenty replacement 

Message Edited by synth_fg on 03-Jul-2009 11:30 PM
Please use plain text.

Got exact same problem with my n97  just  wont charge up at all with mains adaptor so having to use my laptop to charge it. tried taking the battery out tried a different adaptor still no luck. i was told to update my firmware to fix the problem but seems there isnt update available yet. my brothers n97 also  has the same problem.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Ah...so it's not just me then.

Put the unit onto charge Thursday night and didn't really check what the battery looked like when I unplugged it Friday morning, but was very surprised to have gotten to 4pm and the unit announced Battery Low and then shortly switched itself off.

As a result put it on charge again Friday evening, just a moment ago unplug it to find that the battery is only charged to 2 bars.

Like most, can't see if the new firmware addresses the issue as it's not been released for my carrier branded handset model.

Iain

Message Edited by ichapman on 04-Jul-2009 10:50 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

As I follow on, I just put the unit back on charge - after about 10minutes it's 'bleeped' to announced that charging has completed.

Upon disconnecting the charged, I then recevie the onscreen notice that charging is complete and now I have a 100% charged battery according to the onscreen battery meter.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xdin

[ Edited ]

I've got my N97 yesterday here in Finland and despite of having updated it to v11.0.021, today when the battery ran out of power I tried to charge the phone with supplied charger but the phone didn't start to charge. Even charging indicator next to USB port didn't light up.

I managed somehow to connect the charging cord so it started to charge the battery. I think that this is clearly a software issue and hope that Nokia will address this issue in the next firmware update.

Edit: I want to clarify that my N97 DOES detect charging cord when it's on. However when it's completely out of power or even turned off it DOES NOT always detect charging cord.

Message Edited by xdin on 11-Jul-2009 09:10 PM
Please Kudos! me if this post helped!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
z_zz81

ichapman wrote:

Ah...so it's not just me then.

Put the unit onto charge Thursday night and didn't really check what the battery looked like when I unplugged it Friday morning, but was very surprised to have gotten to 4pm and the unit announced Battery Low and then shortly switched itself off.

As a result put it on charge again Friday evening, just a moment ago unplug it to find that the battery is only charged to 2 bars.

Like most, can't see if the new firmware addresses the issue as it's not been released for my carrier branded handset model.

Iain

Message Edited by ichapman on 04-Jul-2009 10:50 AM

Me too, is it a faulty phone? does anyone experience the same problem beside ichapman? Please share ur experience

Please look at my recorded video n97 charging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8d_gHSrt0 -> N97 charged full indicator at 2 bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rzVyxLFPN0 -> N97 power up when charger still plug, still show indicator 2 bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0LjXvs40w -> N97 charger unplug n plug again,showing message "charging complete" but the indicator still at 2 bar

The next day I took it to Nokia care point, they reflash the firmware n the same thing happen again

N97 Black n E71 Red
Indonesia Nokia ESeries Forum (eseries.commoe.com)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
darth_mo

probably needs an update to a newer firmware which may solve this problem?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
z_zz81

FYI, myN97 fw is 11
N97 Black n E71 Red
Indonesia Nokia ESeries Forum (eseries.commoe.com)
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

This sounds more like a hardware problem to me. You should probably take it to Nokia Care to have a look at it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Why Nokia is not responding to this problem? at least they can inform us they're working on that.
Please use plain text.
Professor
au_n97_user

salis110 wrote:
Why Nokia is not responding to this problem? at least they can inform us they're working on that.

Salis, this is a user forum.  Nokia do comment every now and then, but this is not the purpose of the forum.  I am sure they do monitor it though.

As to the topic, charging.

I am in Australia and bought a NAM version phone, therefore I have to use a generic charger, (the wall power plug is wrong for us on the NAM phones).

I'm not having any problems at all.  Charges beautifully.  I'm on FW V 11.1.021.

Perhaps some of the chargers themselves are faulty?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Could u please tell me what is NAM version phone.

I have no knowlegde about these things.

Meanwhile, I have three cables to charge my phone through PC and two chargers and all have same problem!!

My FW is  V 11.1.021. likewise.

Tks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

bit off topic but im having cat related charging problems :smileyvery-happy:

so far they've chewwed through my mains charger on the day i got the phone, my usb charger the day after, then my gf's 5800 charger a few days after that :smileymad:

we're both left with just the 1 usb charger atm lol, never had this problem with other phones tho. i wonder if nokia has started using cat nip in thier production lines ???

Please use plain text.
Professor
au_n97_user

NAM = North AMerican.  Otherwise known as a RM--507

Maybe your problem is you are giving your phoen too much choice and it can't make up its mind? :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, I DO realise it is a serious problem.

I'm be going back to the Nokia Care Centre if it were me - somethings are just that sort of issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i've got similar issues, phone died yesterday and since then i've been trying to get it to charge, only thing that happens is the usb light flash's then nothing left it on all night last night, and have tried charging it from the pc nothing
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Does it mean we made a mistake by trusting Nokia and spending lots of money on their new brand cellphone?!!
Please use plain text.

I think N97 is the best phone ive used even tho it had battery charging problems. Anyway i updated my firmware and it seems to have fixed the charging problem maybe it was the USB detection error fix in the new firmware thats sorted it as its working perfect now. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've also experienced battery charging issues. Initially it worked fine for the 1 & 2 charging, but I did notice that the battery didnt last half as long as advertised. I shrugged that off as it being a new battery and I'd been tweaking with the options. From habit, I allow my new phones to discharge completely prior to recharging, so I figured the battery life should improve, but it's only gotten worse. I plug it in the side indicator light is on.  phone displays that it is charging, the bars are moving up and down. When it tells me the charging is complete, I disconnect it. Then it only shows 2 bars!!

I've tried to reseat the battery and then recharge. i've tried using a charging adaptor (Nokia branded), it plugs into my old charger from my N95; same results. i tried charging via USB but it gets picked up as a storage device, the side indicator light doesn't even come on; so i thought i might be missing the USB driver but am not.

i've only had the phone for a month. does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Please use plain text.

Hi Becky,

I understand that you have solved your battery charging problems on N97.

Would you be able to help me out on the same?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks

Leensa

Please use plain text.