Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 E: / Mass Memory disappeared!

Advisor

The only options that are available for me in E: Mass Memory are: show open apps, find, help and exit.

There's no option to format it.

Looks like I'll have to return it, the first time I've had to do this with a phone before.

Well played Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Looks like it mate, must be a major fault, there are 11 choices in options when you select it for E: mass memory in file manager. Try get a repkacemrnt if you can , it's a great phone, I love mine, think you've just been unlucky. Whatever the outcome, good luck 

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Sure is strange though, First report so far I know about this particular issue.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Could just be a hardware issue. Might be time to call it a day and let the care point check it out. 

You can find your nearest Nokia Care Point at:

For UK
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4228006
For Europe:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4388379
For Asia-Pacific
http://www.nokia-asia.com/A4416070
Elsewhere:

http://www.nokia.com select your country, go to the support section, then select repair. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Okay, last chance.

I've uploaded a (awful) quick video to show you what I mean.

Sorry for the quality, it was off an old phone i'm having to use for the meantime. 

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=29eyoh&s=6
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Mate the video shows what you've described , but the solution still looks like a major repair or replacement to me, you need to bite the bullet, sorry

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

I'm experiencing the same, exact problem. Does anybody know if this is a known issue and if is there a fix for it?

My mass storage memory dissapear yesterday after a week of use.

The syntoms are the same:

• Memory capacity is no longer shown in the file manager, 
  • I get "memory in use" when I try to access it (and cannot format it, no option available). 
  • Finally, from the computer and in Mass Storage mode, I can't access the Removable Disk from My PC ("Please insert a disck into drive..").  

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Gastón.- 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Sent it to a Nokia centre, and they then had to send it to a "higher level repair centre" (whatever that is). Three weeks later (!) I got the phone back. Since then it's worked fine.

Please use plain text.

I'm have no repair center in the country I live buy (I bought it in USA).

Anyone else know any workaround? 

I have already made a soft and hard reset. I have also reisntalled the firmware.

I'm really disappointed with this!

Thansk in advance, Gastón.- 

Please use plain text.

Any update on this?

Thanks!

Gastón.- 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ibanez_JS100

Nope .No update ,
took my N97 to Nokia Care & they sent it to maintenance factory , needs a week .. but the guy told me its 90% that they ganna swap it with a new one coz this bug mostly cant be fixed .. will let u know when they call me & get the phone back whether new or repaired .
N97 .. Working or Not , it's still a *bleeing* Rip OFF .
Please use plain text.

HI UR NOT THE ONLY ONE IM HAVING SAME PROBLEM I JUST GOT MY PHONE AND IM SO DISAPPOINTED NO MATTER WHAT I TRY TO DO IT SAYS I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE! IVE ONLY EVER OWNED NOKIAS-THEYVE BEEN GREAT. I LIKE THE LARGER SCREEN ON THE N97 BUT I THINK IM GOING BACK TO MY N95 -I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND IT  SEEMS TO DO SO MUCH MORE. ID LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Another one here with the same problem.

This morning after configuring my Gmail account, I realized the E: Mass memory disapeared.

Hard-reset, Soft-reset, PC Suite ... No way to make it available again.

It seems something corrupted the E: Mass memory and it's not anymore available even for format.

At first I found interesting that Hard-reset does not touch E: Mass, and even let E: Mass installed applications available after a Hard-reset, but now, I wish a Full-Hard-reset that completely reformat both C:, E: and anything else.

Are there any applications that I can install on C: Phone and then re-format E: Mass ?

Or any suggestion besides send the phone for maintenance ?

Thanks

Marcio

N97 RM-507 code 0575400 / 0580761 firmware 20.2.19 ... and no Mass Memory anymore.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

With phone turned OFF connect it to PC with USB cable, open My Computer and wait to see if it appears as mass storage drive. If it does you can format it with Windows. Then use safely remove hardware in taskbar, disconnect, turn phone on, and format E: mass memory again from file manager menu. You'll lose all data on E:, and will need to reinstall apps.

If Windows doesn't detect mass memory it'll most likely need to be sent for repair, judging by comments in posts above.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thank you, but with phone turned OFF, Windows XP recognize 2 news removable disks, F: and G: and call them as "Nokia S60 USB Device". Selecting "Format" ( contextual menu over the disk ) give me the message:

"There is no disk in drive G. Insert a disk and then try again". This is valid for both, F: and G.

Windows Disk Manager ( on Computer Management ) call them as PhysicalDrive2 and PhysicalDrive3 and say there is No Media in both.

With the phone turned ON as soon as I connect the USB cable I receive the following message:

Memory card not present. USB connection may not work as expected ( OK or Cancel ). Anyway, I say OK and them asks to select USB mode:

- PC Suite
- Mass storage  <<<<
- Image transfer
- Media transfer

I select "Mass storage" and from now on exactly the same thing as with the phone OFF.

The title of this thread is correct: the memory disapeared.

We know the memory is there, and that is not a hardware problem but a software problem.

I think it's file system became corrupted somehow and the firmware can not see it anymore.

There should be a symbian application for such cases that could be able to re-format the mass memory because it seems this situation is not that improbable.

Or a future firmware version could ask if you want to reformat the mass memory when executing a Hard-reset.

Well ...

N97 RM-507 code 0575400 / 0580761 firmware 20.2.19 ... and no Mass Memory anymore.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ibanez_JS100

[ Edited ]

Hey Marcio , Dont trouble urself searching for a solution , I spent a week doing that with Zero Results but complains with no

replies :smileyhappy: 

I Took it to Nokia care ,its been there for 9 days , I Called them & they said it cant be repaired so they're giving me a new one .

save urself some mindtrouble, go to Nokia& Swap it .... then Hope it wont happen again ! or just sell it as long as it's new !

Message Edited by Ibanez_JS100 on 03-Jan-2010 01:25 AM
N97 .. Working or Not , it's still a *bleeing* Rip OFF .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

yep. Right and thanks. I will follow this route ... but it's difficult to belief / accept.

Regards

Marcio

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
QUIKENING

My partner has the same problem with her N97. In fact.. we've had PLENTY of problems - phone stalling, music and photos (pretty much all files in mass memory) missing.

She just text me that she managed to get back her mass memory and filee by reinstalling the phone software. not sure what this means, will ask her when she gets back.

In all, the N97 has been a box of **bleep**. It's a fine box of **bleep** if you don't install fancy applications, and just use it as a phone/camera/calendar, but once you install the fancy apps and perform updates regularly... that's when the **bleep** hits the fan.I've suggested that she dumps the box of **bleep** and gets the iPhone instead - a few hundred dollars to avoid cleaning **bleep** from the fan is worth every dollar.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

My  E:Mass Memory really disapeared. I bought a cheap 16 GB card and I can live with that.

Once the new F:Memory got the same problem that the E:Mass - "memory in use" - ( I think is something with HTML-capable email reader, not sure) but fortunatelly I was able to reformat the card on the PC and so far so good.

This phone is strange. There are several good things but US$ 520 ( what I have paied for) is really too much. Maybe US$ 300 ... I just saw some unbranded N97-chinese-clones for US$ 200.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TanTsaway

I had an almost similar situation however my mass memory didn't completely dissapear. I foolishly used my mass memory to install a portable version of Google Os from my PC. The image file then automatically formatted the E; drive to 982mb. After reseting, reinstalling firmware you name it, I could not get my 32GB back. I then had to fromat the paltry 982mb using my PC (NTFS) then opened the E: drive via the phone "memory corrupt" appeared however by using File manager in the phone I then formatted the 982mb of my beloved E drive and with great surprise 32GB yes 32GB showed on my file manager. Happy again.

Suggestion!

Plug your phone via USB cable, look for any drive apart from C: and try to format them using NTFS. Good luck!!

Please use plain text.