Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 GPS problem!

Advisor

N97 GPS problem!

There has been already some discussion about GPS but I want to start new one topic-

I would like to know is there any N97 or anybody which N97 GPS is working fine without any problems?

Today I made my first real navigation trip and I saw that my N97 with newest maps and phone sw was useless.

GPS signal is going to lost very often and my position arrow is coming too late for corners and turns. Also speed shows very often 0km/h and sometimes it goes totally grazy when poistion is lost and it's starting to calculate route again and again and it never ends without starting whole navigation from the beginning.

Well when I was returning back to my home today i decided to use my Nokia LD-3W Bluetooth GPS receiver and when I used that and also phone's A-GPS then MAPS  worked very well. None of problems.....

I truly hope that this GPS problem exists on every released N97 at this time because then it would be most propably SW related problem, not HW problem. Of course it can be also HW problem but I do not belive that.

Also some other Nokia phone models have had almost similar problems (with early sw versions) but those has been fixed by phone sw later on. But I must to admit that not so bad that I faced with N97 today.....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
weid1374

I know what you mean. The GPS in my previous N82 was better then this - more expensive - N97.

Lets indeed hope it is software related... 

Yes, I have my E72

PS: Don't blame me for my bad English, I am Dutch :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Why start a SPAM thread repeating what has been discussed. Obviously you do not know how it works. People will see your repeat thread and go right by. This is a waste of thread.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have read about N97 GPS not working at all, what is happening to me right now and BTW I havent fixed yet. In my way I found a solution to this related problem that lindhve has mentioned: http://www.symbian-freak.com/tunning/n97gpsfix/nokia_n97_gps_antenna_hack.htm.

Seems that there is a hardware problem and the antenna is not well designed.

I had an N96 and happened the same thing, I hope Nokia really CAREs about this problem for the millions of users we are and come out with a solution SOON.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

the problem in the gps devicebecause the signal is week comparing with my n96 which is woking very good even indoor

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ive had my n97 for 4 months now. I have never been able to get the GPS to work, so finally a technician had a look at it and said the 1st problem is that im using a 16k SIM card. LOL. it was my 1st SIM card ever (9yrs ago), so I got a Simswap for the new 3g card and VOILA!!!! I got a GPS fix in 5secs. FINALLY~!@!@!@!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello! I also had some problems with the GPS since I bought my n97. First, with firmware v 1.1, the GPS took ages to get a lock, and when it did, it wasn't very accurate. Then, I updated the firmware to the latest 2.0, and it was even worse, I couldn't get a lock even in an open field. I found this tutorial http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/nokia-n97/30008-n97-gps-problems-look-free-navigation-licence-activa... and did exactly what it said. Now I can get a GPS lock within 15 seconds, with an accuarcy of 15m when in the open, and around 50m when surrounded by buildings.

I hope this helps. If you can't get a lock with only the internal GPS activated in the positioning methods, after following the instructions in the tutorial, then maybe a nokia technician should have a look at the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I believe it is a hardware problem. I use GPS Data all the time and it never fails that my N95-3 and E71-2 both get a good GPS signal that doesn't fluctuate constantly or randomly go in and out. It doesn't matter what application I'm in either, whether that be Google Maps, or Nokia Maps. The N97 has a diffiicult time finding and keeping hold of a GPS signal. Both of my N97's (first and second) are exactly the same.

The antenna is the problem. There is no doubt in my mind. All the software in the world can't make up for an antenna that can't keep a signal. It can mask the problem to a certain extent, which supposedly Nokia Maps 3.1 does, but it doesn't solve the real issue here which is **bleep** hardware. 

Even on days and nights where there are not clouds in the sky, I get the "GPS does not work well indoors" error message while driving around in my car, trying to use the "GPS Data" application. My N95-3 and E71 never tell me that. 

Nokia, as much as I like them, screwed this phone up hard, and to be honest, they've been doing it for some time. 
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10588_Getting_the_Service_Centre_low.php

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi seoirse

Going through your mentioned tutorial, it is actually using A-GPS, that is data from telco. Your Telco delivers positioning data to your phone so it gets a GPS fix in a shortest time. It is ok if you are within your home network. Check your bill to see how much data is sent, usually very small. But if overseas, that may be costly.

If you remove your SIM card, and with a cold start, you may not get a GPS fix that easily.

Check it out for yourself :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi NseriesFreak7

If it is poor GPS signal strength, then you may find this website useful: http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php?page=image&id=3xzz8

I posted it to show the modification I did to the antenna to boost the GPS signal strengths.

But if your problem is cannot get a GPS fix after many minutes, then it is the hidden pointer file in the phone private folder that got corrupted by other installations. Try to remove applications that have been installed in the phone, then do a hard reset on your phone to reset it to device defaults (your latest firmware, either v12 or v20 will not be affected).

Without installing new applications, try to test your GPS. Give it a few minutes to get the first GPS fix.

This removal of other applications and hard reset usually work to correct the GPS.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

If you are having GPS issues, especially if its not holding a signal then take your handset to a Nokia Care Centre and they will fit a new shield under your warranty due to interference affecting the signals received from the satelites.

I had GPS issues and have taken my handset in and now have a fully functioning GPS picking up between 6 and 8 satelites and that is even without AGPS being active aswell.

Message Edited by neukenuk on 17-Nov-2009 06:06 PM
N95,N96 and N97
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

My unmodified N97 already can get 8 to 12 signals without modification (probably because I bought it in 7 Oct 2009 and it is already EMI shielded). I got GPS fix within 1 to 5 minutes (cold start), however I occasionally lose GPS signals inside my car (with V-kool).

I needed stronger GPS signals like those of Nokia 5800 in my car during navigation. So I mod GPS antenna, see http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813856&page=3

Using only integrated GPS (under Positioning method), and with extended/concealable GPS antenna, I can get GPS fix from 5-15 seconds (very cold start), and 1 to 5 seconds (some warm start). I could also get strong GPS signal within few meters indoor.

Of course the N97 works perfectly fine without modification outdoor. However, in shielded cars using V-kool, etc, stronger GPS signals are needed. So with the mod, I get minimum 4 to 5 full bars at 100% signal strength (like the Nokia 5800), with multiple smaller full bars, totalling between 8 to 12 signals.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.

hi,

just had the n97 manufactured in july 2009 , had the same GPS fix problem

called the nokia care ,  explained the problem to them ,, initally thoes guys does not accept , but after some hard talking they have accepted ,,

aked me to wait for 20 days ,, and they replaced the whole back panel

issues reported

1) Scratch in camera lense

2) Gps takes more time to Fix

3) software did not get update properly  to latest version 20.19 .. (seems that most indian hansets have this problem )

all the above problem was fixed ..  the nokia care at adyar , chennai .. did this  within 2 hours ..

but slight doubt .. they did not provide any slip or proof that they have changed it .. the manager told that this will be updated online ...!!!!!!!!!! hmm..

guys at chennai tamil nadu .. go to nokia care , adyar .., the parts are readly available .. change these items asap..

thanks

regards

kannan.G 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I had a similar problems (slaggish navigation). I went to the nearest Nokia Store the installed a new firmware v20.0.027 released 30 Oct 09 (i used to have v12). it solved 80% of the problems, and i have never missed a turn ever-since even in cloudy conditions. My GPS reciever much better, on point, reads correct driving speed and very stable.

I can't help if you already have a new firmware (check *#0000#). This firmware is neither available from phone nor ovi pc suite software updates, it has to be done at the Nokia centre (they couldnt tell me why).

I hope this will help.

Please use plain text.
Munnaboss

Just after two weeks of buying N97 I was experiencing some manufacturing problem. The problem is the back cover of the phone doesn’t fit properly and during typing it seems that the back is empty. I gave my phone to Vodafone to repair and after one week I got it unrepaired with wired explanation.

Now with upgraded nokia map, I hardly get GPS signal. Before it used to work perfectly. Now it takes ages to get signal or sometime doesn't work at all.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

check this out for one man's ultimate problem regarding the faulty lens cover, non existent GPS pick up, and other problems...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed-internet/259953-n97-gps-hardware-fa...

happy viewing and reading.....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

only way I could actively get The sat nav and ovi maps software working was to activate assisted GPS and also couple a blue tooth GPS to the N97, as to be a complete and utter let down from me guys :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

change the location server to supl.google.com

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Patton

I was suffering the same problem. It was working OK and suddenly in late december it wasn't working. I was very close to smash the phone to a wall, but I found this reply from matthew_maude and ... problem solved. It is working fine again.

Thanks Matthew!

Please use plain text.