Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 - How to make it work better - [Guide]

Sage
bowardsen

N97 - How to make it work better - [Guide]

[ Edited ]

I have experienced a lot of trouble with this device, everything from systemerrors, freezes to the enoying ringtoneissue. I have tried to work it out in different ways with my own and my firends devices.

This seems to be a quite good way to get the N97 to work with less issues and wierd behavior.

1. Backup contacts, messages, pics, music etc. Use Ovi Suite for first two backups, and drag and drop pics and music to your pc.

2. Do a hard reset by pressing Space- right shift - backspace - left shift (hardwarebuttons), when turning on the device. Keep holding in the buttoncombo until you get to choose language. Format E and memorycard.

3. If there is an fwupdate available for your device, update it using NSU - and do another hard reset afterwards.

4. Format E: and memorycard. Reboot.

5. Change where to store messages. Please use E for that. Reinstall contacts and messages. Reboot

6. Make a musicfolder on E:, and try to avoid lots of folders inside of the musicfolder. You should have all the musicfiles in 1 musicfolder.

7. Store your pics on E:

8. After you have had your device connected to pc as massmemory - you will need to set your messagememory to E - once again. (every time)

9. You should update music and picturelibrary and reboot.

10. Go a head and install your apps - but please store everything that's possible to E. Let C have as much free space as possible.

11. To use Gps - you have to start the app and close it before installing maps.

After doing this, I have experienced a more responsive and less troubled device. But, There will still be issues do to wlan, gps, some of the widgets etc.

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by bowardsen on 16-Jan-2010 01:08 PM
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

You should also try to be selective when getting apps.It's not the n97 fault everytime things goes wrong:smileyhappy:
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Still stuck with v20, but i followed every other step, and it seems that the phone is more responsive at this moment. I had issues with lags and freezes, but looks like it works really fine now. The phone rebooted it self at least once a day, so I am going to test it more. Just finished following these steps. Thanx - looks much better now.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

How can you be stuck at v20 when its the latest for n97?you cant go up!
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Oh, i didn't know that. Thanx Chanchan05! (I read a post which said that v21 was going to be released late december, and it was on it's way out on the servers.)

My n97 works smoother now than ever. I have installed facebook, nimbuzz and some other usefull apps. Much quicker than before. I have about 60 mb free space on C: - my friend has about 7mb free and has a billion issues. He's going to follow this steps aswell. mmm Dinner!

Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

Good to hear! Please let me know if it solved random reboots!?
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

yes, no reebots so far. :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Sage

Done all of these things (several times over) and STILL have problems with this kludge phone.

Apart from one N97 somewhere in the desolate borderlands of Scotland which apparently has no problems whatsoever, most N97's are poorly designed, constructed and programmed.

Today, after a less-than-satisfactory navigation session with Maps (why does it think that the speed limit is 40 MPH for every road in Texas? why does it lag half a mile behind me?) my N97 while in my pocket in Silent Profile started getting extremely H-O-T.  Turned it off, waited for it to cool down.  Trying to reboot--failure!  WSOD.

What good is a phone which locks up on reboot so that you can't even make a lousy phone call?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Sorry in what world is this a satisfactory product.

Install this, reboot, move this, reboot, reboot move stuff here,reboot - no offence to the poster, your just trying to help.

Sorry I dont buy a car and have to rebuild the engine, put the wheels back on beacuse I want it to work better. THe same with any other decent product. 

Its a failure and nokia need to admit it. n97 being replaced this morning for the 2nd time 

Please use plain text.
Sage

An update...

The guy in the desolate borderlands of Scotland which kept claiming that his N97 had no problems whatsoever, FINALLY admitted that when his Maps applications had problems, he just rebooted his phone and they usually went away for a day.

That cinches it...there are no perfect N97's anywhere in the world!

I just wonder what changes v2.1 will bring should it ever be announced?

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

or released...
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Advisor

how did u manage to free upto 60 mb on c:\ drive??

Regards

Varun

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

As the first post says, you need to hard reset your phone. This will delete everything on your C: memory, so once you start using your device, you should set messagememory to E, and try to install everything that's possible to E:... Let's hope the upcoming v21 gives us some more space on C: a few megs perhaps....

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor

thnx mate. i did as u said and now i hv around 55mb in my c: drive. all the earlier problems such as hanging, non responsive screen and error messages have also disappeared. thnx once again.

Regards

varun

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

No problem, When I did the hard reset (the button combination), I got 60 megs of free space.    ! Remeber that after you have conected your device to pc usin massmemorymode, you will need to set the messagememory to E: once again. It's just the way it is!
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

60+ MB free memory = stable phone

We all know it, Nokia knows it!

I doubt this phone will ever be a stable, reliable device and for nothing more than a penny pinching exercise on the RAM/NAND memory. IMHO 16GB of mass memory and double the RAM & NAND would have been a much better configuration that wouldn't have cost Nokia anymore to produce (and wouldn't have cost them so many loyal customers).

The only way to fix up this mess is for Nokia to redesign the N97 (like a mark II) with a faster CPU, and at least double the RAM & NAND memory and then offer it in an exchange program at a substantially discounted price to N97 owners.

Frustrated N97 owner! 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

That's a nice dream froschy! I don't think that will ever happen, but I would be one of the customers first in line if it should...

Now, let's dream about v21 for a couple of days:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Not saying that they will do it, more likely they will muck around with a few more firmware updates that improve the device a little but not properly and then eventually they will just forget about it.

Interested to see how much the v2.1 firmware improves the device. 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I understood what you ment froschy, and as you said, they will give us another 2-3 updates and that's all. As I have mentioned in some other post: I cannot use it for what it was ment for. It's like selling us an Ferrari with a Toyota corolla 1,3 l motor in it. :smileytongue:

I still hope I can start using it for work.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

@ Fender77 - It's a good analogy.

Basically I suspect the N97 was an interim device to get Nokia to Symbian^3 & ^4 but IMHO they didn't have to do it at our expense as they easily could have released a device with hardware that would allow updates to the new Symbian versions, even if they had to charge consumers a nominal amount for this update.

What's worse is that I'm certain that with the proper hardware (faster CPU, more RAM, more NAND memory) more than half the problems with this device wouldn't exist.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.