Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97-Mini

Advisor

N97-Mini

Obviously the N97 Mini, is due for release next week-

Given the problems with the N97, and the problematic v.20 roll-out( which the mini- is supposed to come pre-loaded with)

Do people think that this handset will fail?

This would be a shame, as Nokia used to be synonymous with quality etc.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: N97-Mini

I think it's a mistake to assume that the software in the N97 mini is the same as the the N97. Since the hardware is different, the software must also be different, so let's keep them totally separate.

It's the same deal as with the 5800.

They are all S60V5 (or however you write that platform version), but they are different handsets with different variations of that software.

That said, I sure hope that Nokia will be putting some more effort into both development, and testing. It seems that they have been cheating on both accounts (but especially the testing) lately, and you can only do that for so long before you really start to hurt.

I suspect the financial squeeze have brought Nokia into a state where they have been saving money by laying off external contractors, and have thus lost both some bright people, and have also created a manpower shortage.

Very typical of especially big companies in roguh times.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Re: N97-Mini

Hey Matt - What do you mean by problematic rollout? Are you referring to the fake, unofficial rollout schedule posted on one of the forums? If so, Nokia can hardly be blamed for this (although the N97 shouldn't have been released without this FW).

As for the mini, I think it will do pretty well. The biggest problem with the N97 is the ludicrously small C drive that Nokia tried to save money with by only installing 256 MB, IMHO this is one of the major causes of problems and crashes on the N97. It seems Nokia have learned from this as they have installed 512 MB in the N97 mini, resulting in a typical setup having 250+ MB on the C drive. Plenty of space for the web cache, messaging, and app installs.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.