Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N97 - Ovi Suite Connection Problem - Windows 7

Contributor

N97 - Ovi Suite Connection Problem - Windows 7

Hi all.

I have N97, firmware version 20.0.019 (t mobile - **bleep** with the old firmware updates.... )

I am running windoze 7 with all updates etc.

I have the latest version of nokia Ovi Suite and the latest version of Nokia PC Suite.

I am reluctantly trying to get used to using ovi suite instead of PC ever since Nokia's update page seemed to suggest I should be using OVi suite with this phone.

Anyway bluetooth connection is working fine. I can do all syncs with everything on bluetooth.

USB connection is not, when the phone is connected, and I select PC Suite on the phone, the phone and PC then get stuck in a sort of loop where the PC is "installing drivers" and the phone keeps asking me to select PC Suite mode.  Occasionally I get an error message saying I am stuck in file transfer mode.

I have also tried this after going into settings and setting USB connection mode to PC SUITE only, with Don't Ask selected.

This is profoundly frustrating and also renders the ability to update phone software totally useless because you cannot update via bluetooth, only USB connection.

I am getting mighty peeved off with Nokia's ability to get firmware, and software products right.  Come on guys, hire some decent developers, and/or start responding to feedback from customers like me.  (I'd happily beta test any software, I've done it before for an online game......!!!!)

I am considering selling my N97 online, and just buying an unlocked HTC HD2 after over a decade of using Nokia phones.

help!

R

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: N97 - Ovi Suite Connection Problem - Windows 7

Actually, the phone may not be the problem in your case but the device drivers on your PC, which has nothing to do with the phone. Go to your PC's control panel and check if you have Nokia Flashing Driver (or something like that) installed. Then click ovi suite and repair installation. By the way, in your AV software, please add ovi suite to the whitelist, other wise the AV will block the connections it makes.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Giving it a go now, thanks for the quick reply

R

Please use plain text.
Contributor

well that didn't work :smileysad:

after tinkering, I decided to uninstall all nokia software in the program list, (anything else I tried did not work.)

I then ran a registry cleanup.

re-installed ONLY nokia Ovi suite.

Still only able to connect in bluetooth mode, and not usb mode.

Also for some reason the phone isn't charging when I connect it in USB mode either.

There were not problems reported with any of the moden or driver installs.  I added exceptions on my antivirus (Nod32) to nokia ovi suite, and the programs(x86)/nokia folder.....

Nothing :smileysad:

R

Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK - update.... rejiggered everything, removed the phone and re-connected it, and its failing on....

Device driver software was not successfully installed.

nokia n97 USB phone parent  - X -failed

:smileysad:

So.... I am now back open to suggestions :smileyhappy:

R

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Try contacting Nokia for windows 7 compatibility issues, or windows itself. For now try using PC suite 7, see if that works.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VikingR

Let us try to do this from start. I am sorry that this will make you do things all over again, but maybe it'll help.

Download Revo Uninstaller and use Revo to uninstall Ovi and PC Suite (PCS). Revo will clean your registry etc for all leftovers from Ovi and PCS.

Then you can download and install OVI or PCS. NOT BOTH.

Reboot

Stop your AV and Firewall if those are other than Microsoft's

Start OVI or PCS. When the program ask for the phone to be connected, connect using a different USB port than usual

Watch when Win7 installes the driver. Check that it connects to the internet etc. and that it downloads the drivers.

Tell me what happend, and I'll try to help you further from this point, if you are not successful.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm curious to see if this worked. I have the e71x and ever since I upgrade my Gateway NV Series notebook PC, I have been having connectivity problems with Ovi Suite and PC Suite. Same issue, I could not connect via USB nor Bluetooth at 1st with PC Suite. I installed Ovi Suite, then I could connect via Bluetooth. Tried a few things and then I was able to connect via USB with Ovi Suite, but not PC Suite. However, in both cases, after a few minutes - sometimes longer - I lose connection and have to reconnect! OMG!  What is the deal??? This is the only issue I am having with Windows 7.

I will give this Revo a try...please pray for me. :-)

Lamar

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with the driver, and I'm using Vista Home Premium. So I think it's not a specific OS version issue.

It start to happen right after I updated OVI Suite and PC Suite to the lastest version. With the previous version it worked. Maybe it's related.

By the way, it happens just on my notebook. On my wife's desktop, with Vista Ultimate, it works fine with the lastest version.

Very strange.

Regards

Iuri

Please use plain text.
Pyney

I have the very same issue with my N97 on 3UK. Since upgrading to latest version of Ovi Suite. Previous version worked fine. Grr! :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

connection troubles Re: N97 - Ovi Suite Connection Problem - Windows 7

[ Edited ]

i have windows 7 and i sometimes have usb connection troubles like described.

my drivers are up to date.

try 'add new device' in the tools dropdown in ovi suite, it worked for me.

i also have noticed that the usb connection trouble only happens when i use the 'remove device' option in ovi tools, i have to add new device again.

me 3310 6300 N97
son N95 HTC magic
son 6300 N95 E63
Please use plain text.
Pyney

Managed to get the Drivers installed this evening after doing a repair installation of the OVI Suite and removing all instances of the N97 as a device within the 'Printers and Devices' in Control Panel. Then the drivers installed fine.. weyhey! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
william20122

hi, mine is E71 and i have similar connectivity issue, but mine is more on bluetooth connection issue rather than USB. I have NPCS installed and it works fine on my Win XP, but not on Win 7. it will show that E71 is connected through bluetooth. but when i try to copy data, sync or even backup, it will just failed.

I checked the driver and all is fine, latest PC suite support is installed and working fine. this is proven as i can do sync and copy data using USB connection.

nokia SYNC log will show that E71 is not responding. where as if i try to trigger sync from my phone, it will just show you connect -> disconnect. there is no error thrown back.

I really cant tell what is happening. please suggest.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have given up trying to use Bluetooth with N97- PC Suite or OVI. it seems the phone is too complex and demanding for connections to be carried over as simple Bluetooth connection, whereas with my previous phone N 5280 there were no problems at all.

As the N97 has considerable charging problems I recommend not buying it, wait for a better smart phone if you want to stay with Nokia or but an iphone

Onclejon
Please use plain text.

Hi

Nokia I hate you and your phone. Higher some good developer or bribe i phone people to come and work for you for good sake do some thing. My nokia n97 is full of bugs..........:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Artur_A

hey guys

I love the N97, i really do. but  i have noticed that  Nokia has rushed this phone  and there are alot of flaws.

I am having the exact  same problems with conecting my N97 to my comp, i am  running  win xp and i cannot connect to my comp with the usb option. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Arthur_A

I suggest that after installing Ovi suite you install PC Suite 40.7. x and you will then be able to conect by  USB toyour computer using the PC Suit interface. Make sure you install the software with the phone disconnected then re boot and when the boot is finished insert the usb connector to a ort on the computer NOT to a usb hub.

John Butler

Onclejon
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
GKSA

Amazing that so many have responded to this post, and not one has come close to the right answer... I've had the same problem for a while, and at first I thought it was just my old XP notebook - which had more than one problem - or the general poor performance we've come to expect from the N97. I couldn't even sync on Ovi. But with my new Windows 7 notebook in hand, I was all excited to finally update the firmware on my phone - which had been stuck on v12 for a while. Imagine my surprise when I still had the same problems with my brand-new notebook. I started browsing around for more help than this thread, and found that Nokia has released a software update program seperate from Ovi Suite. Just google "Nokia Software Updater for Windows 7" or whatever version of windows you have, download & install. You might need to kill three "Nokia..." processes in the Task Manager to let it run, because it seems Ovi suite has these processes starting up with Windows. (Amazing when they program applications to do that without your permission!) Why on earth would Ovi Suite need to run three processes on my machine anyway, if I haven't even started up the program after reboot? But still, this program wouldn't connect to my N97 via USB. I clicked on the icon in the system tray showing the drivers installing after I plugged it in, and found the culprit: The installation of the driver for "MTP USB Device" failed. Googled that, and found that there are a lot of people having problems with that, from cameras to cellphones to mp3 players. Tried a few suggestions I found, and ended up having to uninstall all my (brand new?) USB controllers (under "Device Manager") and deactivate Windows Media Player from "Windows Features", reboot, then re-activate Windows Media Player - something to do with MTP Devices getting their drivers from Windows Media Player. Not sure if it was one or both of these fixes, but then Nokia Software Updater connected to my N97 with no problem. Installed the software update, and now all is good again. Incidentally, after the software update was complete, a whole bunch of different drivers were installed when I connected the USB... the main one changed from "Nokia ... Parent ..." something to "Nokia... Flashing..." something - and Ovi Suite connects fine now as well! Good luck to everyone who had this problem - it's been fun.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N97 - OVI Suite Connection Problem - Windows 7

I've a years experience with N97 which is a rather unsatisfactory phone as regards charging and connect to Windows. Best solution after many experiments is

1) Make sure all old Nokia software removed (Run the Nokia cleaner on PC if not sure)

2) install latest PC Suite

3) Install OVI suite on top

4) Set PC suite to load when Windows start

5) Make sure N97 off before starting Windows

6) Use the USB cable connected to the PC - not a hub - to connect N97

7) When windows finishes booting turn the phone on

8) Reply no action to the notification that a new portable device is installed

9) open phone from desktop using PC Suite - not OVI - do not use OVI for anything on the PC, just leave it be

As to blue tooth the N97 has too much stuff for the Nokia communicator to load quickly, if it does finish loading at all. I have tried several Bluetooth devices. I found the IVT  Bluesoleil

version 6, which has to be purchased, much the best 

Onclejon
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've got the "MTP USB Device driver failed" error too. Simple but stupid solution: remove your SD card (!) before connecting your phone. That will allow to install the driver and make the phone work with ovi suite.
Please use plain text.