Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 Touch Screen Not Working

N97 Touch Screen Not Working

My touch screen has started to not work properly.  I have taken the battery out and still am having this problem.  Any ideas?
Please use plain text.

Okay.  After taking the battery out several times and turning the phone on and off several times, it started working.  Maybe I will not have any further issues.  Anyone else having similar problems?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

yes i had a similar problem except mine fell from my pocket and now the screen is not showing me anything did yours fall?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

Im looking at purchasing this fone but there does seem to be an alarming amount of posts with people with issues.

I accept this will be also down to miss use and software updates.

Lets hope these 'bugs' get ironed out very soon with further patches !

Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I had unresponding screen once, when browsing the web that is.

Then I had to cancel browsing and just return to the main menu.

Please use plain text.

I've had this several times now over the past two days.... i've never dropped it and it lives permanently in its case when not in use... its doing my head in having to turn it off and on every couple of hours (twice this morning already). i did put the accu weather widget on to my home screen yesterday and i'm not entirely sure wether this has some sort of effect on the screen. i've removed the widget from my home screen and taken the battery out and started over and it seems to be working again now however i'm not sure what else to do if it does it again.... i'd appreciate it if anyone else could post if they have had similar unresponsive touch screen issues as then it could be highlighted as a general issue.

thanks

Please use plain text.

Same problem for my n97, at first it just happened when I would flip the screen up to type a text the screen would respond to touch in that mode. It then started to not respond at all, again after turning it on and of a lot of times it is responding again, however if i flip the screen up it still does not respond to touch.

Please use plain text.

I have a solution that worked for me anyway, it kept doing it and i was fed up with turning it of and on again, so i just did a factory reset, this seemed to cure the problem

Hope this helps anyone with same problem

Please use plain text.

Had a couple of problems when i bought it but some got fixed in the 'update'. Now the most serious problem to date - Touch Input DEAD.

Tried factory reset, re-installed firmware, switched on-off and took out battery and put it back in = NO EFFECT, sometimes only clock works on the touch screen and if i switch it on and off a few times everything starts working only until my screen is not locked, the phone hasn't fallen no new applications or software added no settings changed started not responding 2 days back, even the calls can't be picked up from the red and green buttons and obviously cannot slide the stupid bars anyway.

Any other solutions would be much appreciated.

I am just a regular nokia user and i think Nokia cannot be my choice again.

Previous Phones

Nokia 7650

Nokia 9500

Nokia 6260

Nokia 8800 Scirocco

Nokia E90

and now

Nokia N97

Except the 9500 and 8800 if i can remember rest of the phones had to go to nokia care for months.

Everybody i know suggested me to buy Blackberry or Iphone but i sticked on and now suffering.

Really Disheartening Nokia you are really ruining it for yourselves.

Please use plain text.

This makes me want to cry! :smileysad:   I been wanting this phone and drooling over it pictures many months before I ended up getting it.  but on mine (the touch screen issue)  it comes and goes last time I kept the battery out of it for a few hours then all of a sudden the phone worked flawlessly  touch screen worked great and this morning... it sucks... but both times this happeened was after the alarm? because I notice this in the early morning after the alarm on my nokia goes off...  I am just hoping the screen comes back to life well it kind of did come back to life but it is as though it is not calibrated you touch on one part of the screen and selects sometime an inch or so away..   I am nervous about running the calibration for the touch screen because what if it becomes unresponsive during that time then I will have an uncalibrated non touch responsive screen :/  I don't want to send it in because i just got it two weeks ago!  I called nokia and they want me to send it in, they have no repair centers in my area.  I live in Los Angeles, CA  Aren't we suppose to have everything! gah.. Sometimes people in nokia are so  (insert 4 letter colorful word ending in k and add ing) lazy though, I called them because I want chinese character support on my phone and they tell me it can't be done, when I was 16 i was reflashing other phones with different region firmware  so I get my supported langues with an old computer.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i have an LG dare phone and the touch screen ha stopped working. I tried turinign the phone on and off and i tried taking the battery out and putting it back on agian. What should i do now?? please help!!!???

Please use plain text.
Professor
xenogriff

@mzb3auty - u do realize that this is a NOKIA forum and that the thread u just hijacked for a LG phone is actually for users having issues with a NOKIA N97???

go to LG and talk to them.......

if my post helped u out, please click the Star next to it to add some KUDOS to my name :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

HI, I have mine N97 for about month.

I have to take the batery out only one because by touch screen didn't work.  But, I have another problem with touch screen. When I bought my phone, find button on contacts (from where I can find contacts not opening phone) didn't work. Then it worked find for a week, and now after I took battery out, don't work any more. I notice, that I have issue with email message. In portrate mode, when I try to open email, it simply closed itself. (during that time, find button doesn't work from touch screen). In lanscape mode, email program works fine. I can't figure why! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
steinloaf

[ Edited ]

Hey folks I have 3 of these n97 phones on vodafone. All have same problem which is the touchscreen becomes unresponsive. Latest firmware on voda is 11.something or other. The facebook widget still has issues where it wont always bring up the keypad to enter text so I have to resort to the qwerty pad but

otherwise the phone is so much less frustrating. Try it out for yourselves.

Message Edited by dazz19 on 04-Sep-2009 02:29 PM
Please use plain text.

I having the same problem re touch screen not working, only came on this evening.  Had loads of other minor probs, but cant seem to get this sorted, justtried a reset (shift, space, backspace whilst booting the phone up) but this hasn'[t resolved it...phone hasnt been damaged at all... any ideas!? 
Please use plain text.

I have the same problem - my N97 touch screen is DEAD. The phone itself  "usually" works but I can not use the touch screen which means I can't get every place I want in the menus. The whole phone keep freezing all the time too and I have to take the battery out to bring it back to life. At least for a while....

I have had my N97 since release in July I have been so pleased with it and it has been working almost perfect. Maybe a freezing episode 1-2 times a week, but no major issues.

The problem I have with the phone now only started 1-2 weeks ago and I can't remember doing something like installing software or anything else, so now I'm stuck with a useless phone. And I really loved it - it was so great when it worked. I guess the only thing to do is bring it in for repair...

Please use plain text.
Deuce017

Well I am now joining the ranks of this topic as my N97 is also experiencing this issue. I've tried to hard reset the phone 3 times now, remove the battery, clear out the programs, etc., and still it only works for awhile and then the touch screen is not responsive at all.

Others have mentioned I should wait out for the next firmware release but I doubt this is a firmware issue as it seems to be hardware related since its the touch screen itself and not the software running.

I think I'll be sending in my phone for repair to see if maybe something actually broke or what. So, I'll keep everyone updated if it gets fixed or not.

Before I send it in this weekend, I hope someone else comes up with a fix/solution.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DustyN97

After struggling with same issue from the moment I got my N97, I think I found the cause - as it was mentioned in this thread. I disabled alarm and all lagging of touch screen disappeared! 

Thanks to lokmij for the clue! 

Please use plain text.

ok guys same phone problem disappeared mysteriously. but try taking out the sd card and reboot the phone.  i accidently closed my suv trunk door on my phone and my phone was on the bumper and the edge caught it. my sd card went bad it was an 8 gig class 6 card by the makers of microsd i didnt realize the phone went bad it just started freezing after it got crushed the screen didnt break just the lens cover broke off.  but it was freezing so i was trying to access something of the sd card and i couldnt. so i tookk it out and put the card directly into the pc. but i forgot to put it back in my phone....  this phone has never worked better since the memory card was taken out. and lid crushing it incendncce. THE SD CARD ASLO WENT  BAD JUST LIKE MY KEYBOARD CAPS BUTTON DOESNT WANT TO DEACTIVATE GRRR
Please use plain text.
Deuce017

Ok crazy thought about the Touch Screen not Working.....where are you when its not working? I just did a test with my phone. I was at home, I was outside, I was in my car, I was in my office walking around, and then at my desk at work.....my phone was working fine until I sat down at my desk when the touch screen would not respond, and when trying to select a widget, the highlighted area keeps jumping around or won't respond correctly. I moved 10 feet away from my desk, slide the unlock switch and..... OMG it works!!! Went back to my desk....same issues, stepped away...it works....DING DING!!

The only thing I can think that is interferring with my phone is this stupid wireless head set system that was set up about a week ago. It was around that time I noticed my phone was acting up, but it only got worse.

Is it possible for this device to be screwing with my Touch Screen? Like its sending electronic signals or something? Or am I just crazy?

Give this a shot and try to figure out where you are when its not working, and when it is working. I can't say this might be the issue for everyone, but I think I figured out mine.

Please use plain text.