Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 Touch Screen Problems

Professor
froschy

@ cheatman - Sorry to hear that it hasn't helped.

There must be two problems here, one is related to pressure and the other is related to the unlock/lock slider, both seem to result in a non-responsive touch screen.

This phone is driving me crazy, the amount of time that it has worked as it should is miniscule compared to the time spent trying to get it to work properly and it seems like just as you resolve one problem another appears. Shame on Nokia for releasing a phone with so many bugs that should have been picked up before release. 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

One other thought I had was whether this problem was related to the ZAGG Invisible Shield that I have installed on my N97.

I know this is probably clutching at straws but does anybody else having this problem have the same or a similar screen protector installed? 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i have a screen protecter on my fone

i have also been using the case thing that came in the pack for the last almost week. i have seen a massive improvement in the functionality of the screen. it occasionaly stuffs up, but not for nearly as long. mainly after i have been speaking on the fone for a while (pressed up against my face)

i have a theory on the screen protector tho.. i am wondering if cheatman doesn't have a screen protector on... if not, given my experiance and yours, i would say that the protector might have... protected the screen...

on another similar note. i wondered if the protector had anything to do with the problem so i took it off for a day... it didnt make much difference... i then put a new screen protector back on

~n87

Please use plain text.

Just to keep you all updated. I got my phone back from repair (Phones 4 U) after having the touch screen, GPS antenna, camera lens and slider fixed. The screen is no longer having this problem, everything works perfectly and i am a happy N97 User..Finally!

The person who repaired my phone did manage to leave dirt under the screen, which i can see when i use the phone, but i cant be bothered sending it back for that. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

would like to see how it works after a couple of months, my problem started about a month and a half after i got it
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

@ FunkyMonkey - Glad to hear that the repairs have fixed your problem. I'm planning to send mine in this coming Monday and fingers crossed it will resolve my problems too.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi guys,

I'm mot using any special apps except the standard ones provided with the phone. Also, I have no screen protector on my phone, but I plan on getting one soon, and a case for it (or some other protective thing for the screen).

My issues also appeared after a couple of months usage (say, 1-2 months?) and it would be cool to see if you no longer encounter the same issues with the replaced screen.

Great to know that you got all issues solved!

C.

Please use plain text.

It was about the same before it started happening to me (just after v12) and I got it at the end of july. I'll let you know how long it lasts for.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gorstium

[ Edited ]
Hi! You are not alone...
I discovered the same problems of a not responding touchscreen after a few week of having the phone. I found your discussion last week and started wearing the phone in my pocket with the screen at the outside. The problems moved away - mostly. Unfortunately not complete. Sometimes the phone is lying on the table for at least half an hour and the touchscreen does not respond if I try to use it. Any idea?
What is really annoying is that I missed so many calls since the problems started because of being not able to answer the call. :-(

So hey you Nokia guys outside there: I am really a fan of Nokia phones! The N97 is the most interesting phone I could find! But if you do not find a solution for this problem, I will have to change my phone - and I fear I will have to turn away from Nokia - definitly.
Message Edited by Gorstium on 25-Nov-2009 08:13 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

OK, so I sent my N97 off for repairs including the self-harming camera lens and the poor GPS reception but I also clearly stated that I was having problems with the touch screen. I dropped it off at the flagship store in NYC on Monday so they could send it off to the one Nokia Care Point in the US, they stated that it should be back by the Friday and it was, Kudos to Nokia for this (although it was covered in finger prints, surprising as it would have taken less than a minute to wipe it over with a cleaning cloth) either way I was glad to have it back.

They replaced the cameral lens and so far the GPS also seems to have better reception. The work sheet was a bit hard to read so I'm not actually sure what they did with the touch screen, they took my screen protector off so they definitely did something and it seems to be fine now. I will post a follow up response if I encounter anymore problems.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.

I have just found this thread and have read it with much interest. I believe I have been experiencing very similar issues to you, and to be quite frank it is driving me mad. I'm not sure I can even call the N97 a phone anymore, it is nearly impossible to do anything on it now.

The symptoms I am having have gradually got worse over the past week. I experienced them occasionally and briefly but particulariy this weekend my phone has been almost unusable, especially when I need to use it. My phone will either become completly unresponsive to touch or pressing the menu button, or my touches will not register in the correct place and select something different. Quite often my single touches will register as a long press. The only way to use the phone at times is to slide out the keyboard and use the dpad, however at times the keybaord buttons will be unresponsive as well as the screen and menu button. I have experienced this issue both with applications running, and with nothing running. The phone does seem to functioning underneath as the clock changes time, the signal bar changes and I receive calls/texts/emails.

I have tried not putting the phone in any tight pockets for long periods of time, by keeping it in a loose breast pocket of my jacket, without any change in behaviour. The only vague correlation is perhaps temperature. For example today, it was working this morning when I woke up (in a warm house) and was working on my way to work (in a warm car.) I then spent all morning outside in 4degs C, and it then began to have the symptoms above. I am now home and the phone has started to work ok again now (in a warm house.) I suppose this also correlates to my phone being connected to a wifi network at home as well, although this seems unlikely.

Your thoughts and any assistance would be much appreciated. I am wondering what I should do next. Send it Nokia to get it fixed (I have debranded though from Vodafone, will this affect warranty?) Or shall I just throw it against a brick wall, which is the way I feel now about it!!!  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n9tyseven

@Froschy, Cheatman, Marks72

Thank you for your detailed descriptions of the touch screen problems. I have been struggling with this myself for several weeks now and have come to the same analysis and conclusion. Like all of you I used to be carrying mine in my pants. And like most of you the problem surfaced after a few weeks and has occurred with firmware versions 11, 12 and now 20.

The silver button sometimes doesn't respond but mostly it's just the touchscreen that is not responding or activating a different area than what's being touched. Sometimes pressing one or more corners or sides of the phone seems to help but not always. Using the slider usually does the trick but lately it seems that I have the use it more times to resolve the issue (or is it that more time has lapsed?).

Have to bring mine to a NSC for the camera lens so hope that they can solve the touchscreen issue too. Will let you know.

N97 White
RM-505
20.0.019.C01.01
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hello again guys,

@chris3l: Whatever you do, don't throw the phone at brick walls or even pillows for that matter. I'm not taking Nokia's side on this one, but the device itself is a real marvel of engineering anyway. You have to expect some problems with machines this complex, yeah? Nothing can ever be perfect, man...

Coming back to the main topic: I really have no clue if this problem is related to faulty screens (as in like physical failures). On the other hand, all people that sent the device off for repairs at Nokia seem to not encounter the problem anymore. This seems like a really good bet to solve the problems.

On my side, I really, really don't have the time to get the phone to a Nokia shop right now. Maybe during this holiday season... we'll see. Anyway, what I wanted to say to you guys is that on my phone the problem rarely happens these days. The past week it only happened a few times (like 4-5 maybe? less than once a day).

Here is the full story:

After my previous post, I kept the phone turned with screen facing exterior (i.e. not facing my leg) while in my pants pocket. Whenever I was at the office, I kept it on my desk. I practically avoided my pocket at all costs for like 2 weeks or so, EVEN THOUGH there were no noticeable improvements while avoiding pockets.

As I was telling you, this past 2 weeks I had the pleasant surprise of the problem slowly (and I mean reeeaaallly fscking slow) going away. In my case, at least, it took like 2 weeks to see ANY improvements. Even now it is still happening, but not nearly as often and it goes away in a couple of lock/unlock sequences.

Hope this helps. Peace guys.

PS: If I send my unit for a screen replacement, I'll let you guys know of the outcome. Right now this seems to be the only solution to the problem.

Please use plain text.

Interesting reply cheatman, thanks. When the phone works as it should I love using it, it is a real pleasure. But a phone shouldn't have all the problems described above ever. I hear rumours  v21 firmware before the New Year so hopefully this may help.

The day of my post (14th) my phone was driving me mad and barely working. However today (15th) I was working in exactly the same location and kept my phone in the same place. The only difference was that I put my silicon case on the phone, and voila the phone has been working fine all day. Coincidence or added protection???

As you have suggested I am trying to keep my phone out of my pockets at the moment to see if that helps at all. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

IMHO I don't think that the firmware update will fix it and that it is definitely a hardware issue. I haven't had the problem since it was returned from repair at a Nokia Care Point. I don't know what they did as the worksheet was almost unintelligible (not from poor handwriting rather from technobabble) but it worked. The annoying thing with this phone is that just when you get one problem resolved another appears, not really what I expected from a US $700 phone.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

well i finally put my fone in for a service... after it **bleep** itself and wouldnt go past the 'NOKIA' white screen on start up. but i told them about all the problems i was having, and they said that it would be 24 to 48 hours (surprising) but yeah, not at all what should be expected from a AU$1100 fone

will keep you posted on what gets fixed, is there any chance that you could post the technobabble you got back from it here, maybe one of us might be able to decipher it

~n87

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@chris3lx

does this silicone case protect the screen at all, is it raised around the screen (if you rest a ruler over the screen of the fone, is it futher off the screen than without the case,

cause if it is raised around the screen, there might not be as much presure getting to the screen and therefore making the problem appear less

Please use plain text.

@Necros87

The case doesn't protect the screen specifically, but it is raised around the screen by a few mm, so it must provide some sort of protection. I do also have a screen protector on the screen.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

yeah, i would say that the raised part around the screen gives it a little more protection. although the screen protector unfortunatly doesnt protect if from this issue, i have had one on my fone since i got it.

regarding me sending my fone back in for repair, i will be picking it up soon, from what the msgs said, i am getting a new replacement

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am having more less the same problems and my assumptions are towards that the touchscreen doesnt work well in "cold temperatures". I hope I'm wrong, as Nokia is a finish company and that would be a shame if it doesnt wokr in the cold.

I started having major problems of touch screen lack of response or late response with my phone just now in the winter. I again tried to format it, etc, but it didnt help. Later, I've noticed that outside it hardly work (I live in more less north of Norway =D) and the same happens when I just arrive from somewhere.

It also happened to me that when I was in the car it was not working, but after putting the phone directly in front of the hot air escape from the heater, the resposiveness of it was great.

Can you guys confirm that?

Overall, I am trully disgusted with this phone and I wonder if the HTC's androids could have hardware issues like that as well. I hope iphone is not the only decent touch screen smart phone around...

Please use plain text.