Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 You don't appreciate it 'till it's gone !

Mobile Sensei
carman58

N97 You don't appreciate it 'till it's gone !

Hi,

As the title suggests, you don't always appreciate something until it's gone ! I took my N97 for some hardware repairs today and was told it could take up to 21 days (god forbid !!) It was the standard known issues of lens cover , gps antenna and a speaker problem, which I'd lived with, but decided to get sorted under warranty before it ran out (the people at the CPW were actually very nice and efficient, hope the repairers are the same , lol ) Anyway the reason for the somewhat protracted post is that I am now using my 'spare' N95 8Gig, which was the best phone I'd ever had, and which I loved and which hardly gave a moments trouble, and has spent the last 10 months acting as an alarm clock and a standby. So on returning home I completely rebuilt it , formatted it and re installed the firmware. The phone is working fine, but really shows how good the N97 is, both in functionality and 'fun factor' it's so much quicker to operate, it multitasks so much better, the screen's fantastic, the web experience is so much better, I miss my widgets, I hate having to innaccurately scroll web pages on the N95 using a D-pad, instead of moving them round with my finger and zooming with a tap, I can't even take half my music collection with me, I can't tune the car radio to the N95.

It may be a pain at times, and there are legitimate faults with the N97, but you don't half miss it when it's gone. Now if I could just bolt the N95 speakers to the N97 …....................................

This post may not be very helpful, but I just wanted people to realise that by constantly decrying the N97, many people don't realise it's many, many good qualities and what a great piece of kit it is, yes it could be better, but I do miss it, and it's only been a day !!

Appologies for taking up so much of your time :smileysad:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Youre quite spot on and no need to excuse yourself. You're a sensible guy.

I've been a bit on and off when it comes to wether I like the n97 or not. And after did to it what you did to your n95 8gb, a couple of weeks ago - I have started using it for work again. Atm It has no trouble of handling my 15 gigs of music either.

Some constructive feedback on these boards are nice to see. unfortunately it's not often.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Good to read something positive about the N97 here from time to time. It shows that there are N97' s out there that are performing satisfactorily, especially coming from an avid phone user like you.

Please use plain text.
perplexler

I usualy say: there is no such phone like N97, definitely!

It is a fact. But how goog is it really? Try to count all topics concerning problems with N97.

I have had N97 for 6 months! This is my 2nd N97 and I am not satisfied at all. This one works, sometimes I can not turn it on, sometimes I can, sometmes it stops responding, sometimes it responds well. Sometimes it resets with no reason. And I live with it. People from Nokia Care hate me because I record videos about  N97 problems and send videos to them!

When my N97 is gone for repair, I miss it and hope it would work when it comes back.

But, it does not work. Very slow , and not reliable at all.

There's no phone like N97 and I will be missing it for a couple of minutes untill I put my SIM in new E72, as Nokia promissed me!

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

@ carman58 - I can see where you're coming from as the large screen, homescreen with widgets, and physical keyboard are great when the N97 is behaving itself. Unfortunately you never really know when it's going to start misbehaving with resets, frozen widgets, crashes, lock-ups, etc...

I really do want to like the N97 as the concept is great (physical keyboard, keyboard sliding mechanism, large screen & homescreen with widgets) and I spent a lot of money on it but the unreliability of it just kills me. Sometimes it will be working just fine and then another time you may need to do something like get directions and you end up having to restart the phone, pull the battery, etc... anyway 5 minutes later you're still trying to get the directions or you just give up and feel like smashing it on the ground.

I suppose there is always hope that the next firmware will fix up these reliability issues.

Either way it always is bad when you're without your mobile/cell phone.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

That's always been the way with Nokia handsets for me. I get worked up about issues, but at the same time I'm aware that if they were fixed it'd be one of the best devices ever. Then I stop using the handset for a while and I realise that I'd rather put up with the bugs than do without.

Seriously, if Nokia could put out an Nseries handset with zero hardware or software issues, it'd be an incredible piece of work. As it stands I think they over-reach.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Agianfreda

[ Edited ]

We can also compare N97 with Nokia 3310 and we will found a lot of new functionalities and unbelievable features BUT if Nokia wants to compete with people that is totally new on mobile phone market (Apple) i think that we cannot reason in this way. Nokia have an old concept and i'm very disappointed on N97 quality: software and hardware (except Zeiss lens, but also with that Nokia is able to distruct all Carl Zeiss's work with the  flash light) are very bad.

I was a Nokia fan: the first Nokia was a 3310, after i had a 3330, a 7210, a 6660, a 6630, an e65 and now the N97. Now, i think, this is the end.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

+1 with Froschy on this one it`s unreliability kills it for me and always has just three days ago was going to a mtg in central London with my mum (fortunately I knew my way fine) and she was fretting which way from the subway it was and to reassure her I thought I`d fire up Ovi maps which failed and failed and failed etc. (even the boot up is too long for this sort of use in comparison to Googlemaps) turns out my C: had gotten down to 8MB well I cleared the Web cache (another boot up wait) etc. but it didn`t inspire any confidence in my miother and frankly i never use my phone to show anybody anything really becasue I never know if it will work or not or how long I`ll have to wait for something to fire up.

At the moment I`m really hanging on by finger nails for firmware upgrade that will hopefully incorporate either one of the Ovi Maps with free nav (either 3.03 or .04) because I simply can`t keep my C: under control - I`ve religiously purged it of all but Nokia Apps installed I have Nokia Photo Album, Nokia Handwriting Calc, Nokia Point and Find Ovi Maps 3.03 and a moth ago I purchased Quick Offiice (premium 6 I think it was) which was on sale for $9 great but didn`t realise it also needs tto install (6MB+) on C:. Now I can`t keep my C: above 10MB, I do have Nokia Messaging running and have since v12 firmware but that shouldn`t be taking more overhead as it only keeps last hundred messages so old ones rolling off (?) and I store SMS messages on C: aas can`t be bothered to absolutley remember to reset save drive back to C: after plugging USB in but I limit myself to 200 messages and so this shouldn`t have been growing. I`ve also run the Memory Reorganizer multiplke times to diminishing returns, other than this I`m fnatical about preserving C: and it just keeps bleeding away at about 1MB a week and I really can`t be to rebuild once agin and reisntall 50+ apps etc etc spend day+ of my life (again) unless it`s in the cause of new firmware or do it only to find week later there is new firmware.

@carman58 really respect the help you`ve given out round the forum but it just shouldn`t be needed and the most positive things I hear about the N97 are when it`s in comparison to phones like the N95, however when compared to other smartphones available at it`s launch (iPhone 3GS, HTC Hero etc.)the N97 looks dismal and it`s longevity has been appalling as it looks prehistoric compared to handsets now being launched (Nexus, HTC dseire, New iPhone in 2mths. Nokia have stopped trying to sell it at all in UK - it`s nowhere on High St and even mini is getting destocked whereas the N95 was a competitive hasndset long after it had launched and Apple have been able to keep selling the 3G nearly 2yrs after launch and will almost certainly do the same with 3GS - on recyclers 3G sells for more than N97.

As I`m writing in another thread the actual numbers of N97`s still in the wild (not junked/returned) can probably be best gauged by the order in which Nokia`s recent firmware fest has been released - N97 (supposed and still not officially replaced flagship) nowhere to be seen despite deperate need to integrate Ovi Maps into firmware to free up 16MB of C:.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well there is no good thing i can tell about my n97.Its more problematic than a 2 years old child.Do not buy it

Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

[ Edited ]

Wow what an interesting view there @carmen. My N97's away for repairs for similar reasons and more but rather than going back to my old N95 8Gb, my phone crazy pal loaned me the HTC desire as he checking out some other phone. To cut the to the chase am gonna miss the desire when it goes back.

Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Sage
tankslappa

Interesting...

When my N97 broke (got run over by a landrover) I went back to my old N95-1.

I missed the large display of the N97, and that it's wifi seems to be more stable on my router (although not on my brothers), but apart from that I found the N95 far more responsive, and reliable.

I certainly didn't miss the touch interface. Symbian with touch is such a bolted on after thought. Why did they feel it was needed? Just cos the bl**dy iphone has it? Oh please. If you're going to do something, do it properly. As it is the interface seems to be a mismatch of pieces developed on different sides of the planet with no common look and feel. The random appearance of the copy/paste options drive me nuts! The N95 has a special button for this, so *I* can choose when *I* want to do copy/paste, not rely on some programmer remembering that someone might possibly want to copy and paste at a certain point.

The N97 seems to need a hard reset every few days, sometimes just to make it notice it has a charger connected (This appeared with V21). The N95 can be left on for ever. Plug it into a charger over night, pick it up the next morning when it's alarm goes off.

I can't trust the N97 as my alarm clock. It's failed to go off a couple of times already.

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

carman58 wrote:

Hi,

As the title suggests, you don't always appreciate something until it's gone ! I took my N97 for some hardware repairs today and was told it could take up to 21 days (god forbid !!) It was the standard known issues of lens cover , gps antenna and a speaker problem, which I'd lived with, but decided to get sorted under warranty before it ran out (the people at the CPW were actually very nice and efficient, hope the repairers are the same , lol ) Anyway the reason for the somewhat protracted post is that I am now using my 'spare' N95 8Gig, which was the best phone I'd ever had, and which I loved and which hardly gave a moments trouble, and has spent the last 10 months acting as an alarm clock and a standby. So on returning home I completely rebuilt it , formatted it and re installed the firmware. The phone is working fine, but really shows how good the N97 is, both in functionality and 'fun factor' it's so much quicker to operate, it multitasks so much better, the screen's fantastic, the web experience is so much better, I miss my widgets, I hate having to innaccurately scroll web pages on the N95 using a D-pad, instead of moving them round with my finger and zooming with a tap, I can't even take half my music collection with me, I can't tune the car radio to the N95.

It may be a pain at times, and there are legitimate faults with the N97, but you don't half miss it when it's gone. Now if I could just bolt the N95 speakers to the N97 …....................................

This post may not be very helpful, but I just wanted people to realise that by constantly decrying the N97, many people don't realise it's many, many good qualities and what a great piece of kit it is, yes it could be better, but I do miss it, and it's only been a day !!

Appologies for taking up so much of your time :smileysad:

I don't want to sound rude ( and sorry if i come off as such here), but i've to say that this post isn't analytical in its approach.Normally a strength of a product is determined by comparing it with its rivals, not with its predecessors. The post would have been sensible if you used other brands (e.g iphone 3g(s) ) while your N97 was at warranty and then decide if you have missed it. N97 as a new nokia's phone is expected to be slightly better than those which came before it. Nevertheless, n95 (two steps behind N97) still beats n97 at key functions (stable firmware, superior speakers among others). n95 was good in its days, i don't remember having any issues with n95  comparable to what I have now with N97. N95 also lived up to its expectations, not because it was the best phone out there in the market in those days, but because it did what nokia ads said it will do.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Unfortunately I would have to disagree with the OP as well. The good days of Nokia seem to be over. I have had (with the exception of an S-E) only Nokia handsets since the mid-1990s and now that I needed a "real" smartphone to replace my trusty old Palm, I am terribly disappointed with the N97, its software and OVI-Suite.

My first really bad Nokia was the truly terrible 6280 which i had to have replaced or repaired almost on a monthly basis in the two years I've had it. since then I never renew my contract for two years. At least when it worked it worked, but the handsets kept dying and started malfunctioning very soon.

Then there was the 5800 XM which is still my backup phone (only 2 replacements). but with it and the 6280 i was only using the basic phone functions (voice, SMS and a very little internet)

I am on my third N97 (RM-505 FW 21.0.045) and still have the following issues (had them with the previous 2 handsets as well):

• Frequent freeze-up of the handset requiring removal of the battery to restart, happening for instance when rotating the display, starting apps, inserting the headphone plug and for various other reasons.
  • Handset also freezes with a black screen when turning on, again requiring removal of the battery
  • backlight sometimes doesn't run off oven though the timer is set to 30 seconds, draining the battery quickly (auto-screenguard and lock DOES activate)
  • phone sometimes fails to respond or is very slow to do so when touching the screen, meaning apps do not launch or do not accept input.
  • Ring tone sometimes defaults to the default, dreaded Nokia tune, even though custom ringtones are set for profiles and also for some contacts.
  • Handset has no global connections settings for apps, having to confirm phone data usage or internet connection each time it is started is just plain annoying. this would only make sense when roaming but not in my network where i have a data flat rate.

Add to that the dreadful OVI.Suite, which in my case fails to sync notes, sometimes deletes calendar entries from outlook instead of syncing, is very slow, hogs CPU, often crashes for no apparent reason,  broadcasts my messages, contacts and photos to the world from the home screen and worst of all does not display all contact fields from the phone and some very sketchy handset apps (e.g. dreadful search in Maps 3.03) makes the N97, IMHO a true lemon. 

I am back to using my palm until we install Windows 7-64 at work and I won't be able to sync it anymore. Btw, i decided against the iBrick, because it can't even sync Outlook tasks and notes without extra paid apps. In retrospect, that was a big mistake. I need a phone / PDA / smartphone and synchronization and desktop app that work, Nokia's, at least for me, just don't.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

LOL @carman58, you've opened up a can of worms with your post, rattling the cages of some of the usual suspects :smileyvery-happy:  kudos to you :smileywink:

Got to love the threads like this, again and again and again........

Please use plain text.
Advisor

ROFL - "Nothing to see here move along now, the N97 is a fine device"  Squawk.

Personally when I`ve been sold a product that doesn`t perform as billed or to a satisfactory level I make my disatisfaction known, with the hope of getting it fixed or compensation either in a new device or monetarily. This includes the whole of a product`s reasonable expected lifecycle which in the case of a flagship mobile device has to be considered a bare minimum of one year I would think to justify the outlay of the price of a laptop PC on it`s purchase.

So I expect it to be reliable and cope with future demands.

Of course not everyone expects their products to deliver after all all purchases are to some extent emotional however Nokia`s profit figures released today in comparison to Apple`s released earlier this week shows the high end customers` appreciate reliability and products that perrform as they expected and the falling price-per-handset in Nokia`s results show that whilst they may be able to maintain smartphone share by heavily reducing the price of it`s out of date products to a level at which they become reasonable/excellent value (5230, E5, C6) high end customers are deserting them which must show that the performance and experience of the N97 series has been found wanting in comaprison tto other products. in my case very wanting and I will direct all I know to avoid Nokia flagship`s looking at the history of the N96 and N97, and when i look at a new phone for my 70yr old mother who could really benefit from the larger screen of a smartphone and navigation features (let alone other benefits) I won`t consider a Nokia because they`re simply too unreliable and don`t get fully fixed - if I`d purchased her an N97 it would havbe been a horrific experience for her as she`s unconfidant enough about technology. Instead I`m likely to get her the iPhone 3GS after the new one`s released (or maybe even tyhe new one) because of it`s bomb proof reliability, it performs as advertised (ie the things it doesn`t do you know about in advance and it does do what it says it will) and it`s got a friendly and understandanle UI for her that`s going to be enhanced a year after release.

But of course everything`s fine, the device works well, no problems at all as long as you don`t load software, browse the web and want to spend a day a month maintaining it.

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

psychomania wrote:

LOL @carman58, you've opened up a can of worms with your post, rattling the cages of some of the usual suspects :smileyvery-happy:  kudos to you :smileywink:

Got to love the threads like this, again and again and again........

Yes "a can of worms...and rattling.." if that sounds respectful to you...

However, sometimes the wisest thing one can do is accept the reality. once upon a time, i was wrapped up in my world of ignorance...I used to think my mum was the best cook in the world till i met my girlfriend. Now i'm a free man because i started to think outside the box....and a best friend of mine is a free man because he started to appreciate all the arguments against classical mechanics. All these has one thing in common: the message that "welcome to the real world where truth and only truth(reality) rules".

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

[ Edited ]

ROFL - "Nothing to see here move along now, the N97 is a fine device"  Squawk.

LOL, Kudos for you.

Also I think it's an important point to make that people should compare the N97 to it's current competition and not to previous Nokia models. By very definition the newer model should be better than the one that it supersedes, but apparently even this is questionable when it comes to the N97.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

@Carman58,

Kudos to you. I like also very much my N97 despite there is always a possibility

it will lose your messages or it will chash without any reason. And it is the best

phone I ever have had in 15 years.

Sure, you can not trust the alarm clock, too. It is not reliable. But, my old 6500 will take

care of it.

Cheers;

vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Advisor

LOLz That`s one thing I can give the N97, life with it is never predictable!

Sometimes rebuilding it in the small hours of the night a bit tedious maybe.

Perhaps when I`ve got a device that works predictably as I want when I want it I`ll miss the excitement of the N97 and miss the thrill of never knowing what it`d allow you to do next :smileyvery-happy:

Life will be so dull - naht

Please use plain text.
slowthinker

Gotta agree with carman58. 

N97 is a cracking bit of kit. 

It's got issues (video playing is hit & miss, OVI suite is rubbish and always has been, under specc'd memory and that flipping ringtone!), but the good far outweighs the bad.

Good stuff:

True multi-tasking.

Free turn-by-turn Sat Nav.  Brilliant.

Usable touchscreen (even with gloves or dirty hands), some of the competition can only be used if you're sat down in a quiet, well lit environment - if you're in the office, why not use the pc?

TV out function. Got the cable from my old N95 8GB. Excellent for showing off the great photos it can take.

FM transmitter.

Gonna stop there.  It's just too easy to think of aspects of this phone that beat anything else out there, seriously, I cut two thirds off that list of good stuff 'cos the list was getting too long. 

The N97 is not perfect. Nokias' initial lack of response to the lens scratching and GPS issues when it was first released was disgusting. Nokias attitude put me off my bright, shiny, new toy. I was never, ever, ever again going to buy another Nokia.  It has taken 8 months of using the N97 to get over that and start to really appreciate just how good this thing is.

Please use plain text.