Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97: how to clean up phone memory (not mass storag...

Advisor

N97: how to clean up phone memory (not mass storage 32GB)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My main phone memory (not the mass storage 32GB) is only 70MB and now it has only 3MB left.The applicatios run slow and I can't install more apps (I think when the app gets transferred from PC to phone it writes to the phone memory temporarily).

I open the phone memory from my PC and only see the Data folder which is about 5MB. I think the rest is "system data files" and are not displayed. Therefore I can't delete/clean up my phone.

I also try File Manager in the Office suite and scan for usage of the phone memory I see that there is 56MB used in "Other", so I'm not sure where to clean these up.

Is there anywhere to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Caten

Message Edited by catennacio on 19-Jun-2009 12:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Re: N97: how to clean up phone memory (not mass storage 32GB)

hey dude, i would suggest installing your applications to your memory card instead of the phone memory, this way a lot of storage will be saved. that's the easiest way, oh and applications you hardly ever use/don't need, get rid of 'em :smileywink:

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I always choose to install the applications and copy media files onto the memory card.

The thing is  while operating Symbian writes temporary files to the phone memory. I need to find a way to clean it up.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Anyone from nokia can answer this? I'm stuck with this issue and unable to install new software because the memory is full.

Should not be this hard for customer.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm very curious as to what is holding all your phone memory.  The only thing i can think of is temp files for instalation apps,  SMS and MMS's, Bluetooth pushes, and logs.  I'm not sure if emails are held in phone memory as well.

Let us know.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply. I use heavily internet application such as facebook, nokia email (download full email), and web browser.

Nokia default Web browser: I try to clean the cache and it does release about 20MBs. But it also means all my cookies (logins) are gone too. And I don't want keep doing this once in a while. There should be an option for me to set where the cache should be store and limit like the Ovi Map 3.0 application.

Facebook:There's no where for me to set where it should save the cache to.

Email: Same like face book.

For temp files, where can I clean them up? Windows explorer and Nokia PC suite does not show the "hidden" files (although my Windows Explorer is always set to show hidden files.

So the question is where or how (or tool/option maybe?) to cleanup your system. If there is no such thing your phone will be come slow and full very soon since by default all data applications tend to write their temporary data on to the phone's main memory.

Does the Symbian really do scanning and cleaning up the temp files by itself?

Message Edited by catennacio on 19-Jun-2009 11:47 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi, i've just bought N97 in Singapore and had the same problem after configuring my emails.  Just found out that we could choose where to store the emails.  That solved my problem.  Follow the steps below:

Goto Messaging -> Options -> Settings -> Other -> Memory in Use

Hope that also helped to solve your problems.

rgds

alan

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm using "email on 3" for handling my emails from hotmail and exchange. This app won't let you use any memory other than the phone memory - how naff is that?!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

You may want to check your storage settings for SMS/MMS. When I recieved my phone I transferred items from my 5800 via bluetooth to the phone and they were stored within Messaging and even though I copied the files to the mass storage, they were still taking up space becasue I had not deleted the originals from the Inbox. After I found this out I changed the settings so all SMS/MMS/Bluetooth transfers are stored to the mass memory and not the phones. I am sitting around 38.2 MB free and havent deleted cookies or browsing history. Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.

I'm stuck with the same problem - It says 53Mb "Other Files" - my phone memory is almost full.  Is there any way Nokia can help with this issue!  I really don't want to format the phone...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

bigmike12 wrote:

I'm stuck with the same problem - It says 53Mb "Other Files" - my phone memory is almost full.  Is there any way Nokia can help with this issue!  I really don't want to format the phone...

nokia does not help with those issues here on the boards other users do. your best bet is to reformat. did you remove all data from the browser, swtich the facebook, bloomberg, accu to your e drive ? did you switch your messages to e drive ? those are basics you can do before a reset  

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blackbagz

Radical,

How do you change the settings of facebook and accu (and other widgets) to mass storage??  I currently have 5.99mb left.  my messages are all on E (did that first), all images and movie clips are stored on E.  Cache is cleared and yet it won't budge from 5.99!!

Bagz Rules :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

remove them via application manager. found under settings and then reinstall them from scratch to the e memory. * note not all widgets are avaliable in the ovi store but most are. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Clean your internet cache out and you will regain more memory space.:smileywink:

(dont forget my Kudos:smileywink:))

web/clear privacy data/thats where you need to go,. do this often.

Message Edited by rapid on 04-Aug-2009 02:05 PM
Message Edited by rapid on 04-Aug-2009 02:09 PM
Please use plain text.

thanks for your suggestions, however I have already tried most of them.  I think this problem is because I tried to restore my old n95 messages onto my n97.  in fact it stopped at 47% and wouldn't move any further.  Mind you, I had over 1,800 messages.  I think the phone memory is used as a buffer of some sort and probably got filled up.  now i'm stuck and can't delete the data.  Maybe a good file explorer exists for N97?  They normally would show you all files not just the ones which file manager shows you.

Regs,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hello,

I have tried suggestions posted on this forum (thank you for the previous advice) with some success.

1 I clear the cache on the web browser everyother day (pretty damn awkward if you ask me)

2 Removed Facebook and installed all other apps except BBC iplayer to e: drive

3 Moved all mail and messages to e: drive (and have to keep doing this after attaching to PC)

4 Removed (not yet reinstalled) MfE

5 Moved all downloads to E: drive (inc BBC iPlayer vidoes and podcasts)

6 Set camera to save images to e:

7 Deleted or moved all images, videos, sounds etc on C: and so each and every folder is empty of these kind of files

5 Reinstalled firmware 11

6 Installed the C: drive optimiser (not sure what -if any- benefit that gave me)

7 Scanned using both the phones filemanager and ovi suite to find what is clogging up my C:  and biggest file on c:drive is reported as 24KB whith only around 20 odd files being displayed

After doing all this I get a measly 9MB free.

I want to install both Maps 3.1 and MfE again but can not as I have not enough memory free.

Aside from the fact the phone only has sub 100MB of main memory the phone also seems to have a really bad garbage collector and is not clearing it's own memory.

What is clogging up the C: drive?  Why can I not see what is clogging it up? 

Anybody know any other tricks on how I can force the N97 to clear out its memory?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Sage

the nokia file manager doesnt show all files and folders.

get the free dr.jukka file manager to check your c: drive

cheers :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

What I did was back up my contacts then do a master reset (which resets EVERYTHING and deletes all on your C:smileyhappy:, then reinstalled the apps I wanted and restored my contacts. I now have 40mb free on my C:.

However, in your case you should follow the inscturctions in this link (it will require you to install Y-browser).: http://www.mobile-geeks.com/tips-to-recover-phone-memory-of-nokia-n97/1547/

Also, if you have any apps on the c: you know you can re download, uninstall them in your application manager. Settings>Application Mgr>Installed Apps, and every app WITHOUT a little memory card icon on the right is stored on your C:, then re download them elsewhere, eg. Ovi Store.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey thanks, I'll give it a try and post back on any success rate.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the advice, unfortunatly I was only able to claw back another 1MB!!

Deleting an MfE install file and a load of fring temp install files too.

The Y browser allows me to also access logical drives d: and z: too. As I assume that d: and z: are system drives I gave them a wide birth. Also without knowing fully what I am and am not allowed to delete I have had a relativly average success rate using this application. 

Any other idea's? 

Please use plain text.