Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 mini Hang-up, sudden reboots, touch screen non...

Counsellor
palaidniex

N97 mini Hang-up, sudden reboots, touch screen non- on malfunction

[ Edited ]

Malfunctioning started 5-6 months after purchase.

At first few times no any possibility to answer a call - sliding on screen when keys locked or touching answer screen button, or green button after display/key unlock did not worked.

Only possibility to talk with caller - call back immediately (it works) an excuse for that problem.

Lately phone started to reboot after ending calls or after (or while) using as internet connection modem. Or sometimes rebooted by itself just standing by on table...

Sometimes keyboard does not work, working only screen.

Then become next problem - or touch-screen does not respond or respond awkward or totally different as should.

Then touch-screen malfunction together with keyboard not functioning.

After a month spent at sellers repair first 3 days - everything worked as should. I started to believe - problems gone, but that happiness was only for three days..

Question - is this model is most buggy faulty or so? Nearly 400 EUR for top series N class disaster is quite a big money... How nokia thinks to solve this problem? As I understood I'm not the one and only with that big list of problems for 400 EUR...

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: N97 mini Hang-up, sudden reboots, touch screen non- on malfunction

I have had my N97 mini for quite a while and still use it as my second phone alongside my N8. I have not had any problems with it. It has restarted twice in the last 9 months and that was because I was doing all sorts of strange things to it. 

Since it was fine for 5 or 6 months before starting to act up, I would suggest that perhaps the issues are due to something you installed or settings changed around that time. My suggestion would be to back up your data only and using the deep reset, reset the phone back to its out of the box state. All apps to be reinstalled from scratch. Backing up and restoring nothing else other then your data will mean that you do not accidentally restore any bad settings or apps. As a matter of fact this is what I do everytime I update the phones firmware.  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

The "out-from-box" reset was just made. Latest phone firmware is on item.

Only Data was restored. Because no any another possibility to get latest OviMaps was impossible. At that moment I had the phone right from warranty service. Thinking everything is OK. I Just wanted to install latest OviMaps version.

After 2 days - all the previously known problem issues came back.

I like the features of phone, the layout versitility etc is OK. May be a bit faster CPU would be needed, to run it faster. Nearly perfect phone for my needs. Looking at technical specs, equipement, possibilities - like Swiss army knife. And I just wanted ONE phone for all my not so big needs - not primary and secondary. ONE RELIABLE PHONE!

But this pile of problems and unreliability of phone for not cheap price... I don't thin it is a fair deal from Nokia... First months I seriously was thinking about Nokia E7-00, but no I'm not sure about it, and about Nokia at all...

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

P.S.

So is there any solution to put phone in working order?

Or it means that only possibility to get working phone is get rid of it and buy another phone?

Interesting - 4 times cheaper Chinese Nokia N97 mini look-alike couldn't be less faulty?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Was it the 3 finger deep reset you tried? If not then you should try it. Remember to backup your phone before trying. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

[ Edited ]

If reset to factory settings didn't help. Why reboot should?

The malfunction is not permanent, it happens from time to time and becomes in working order by itself.

I do not think, that reboot should help. Because software issues do not happen at unpredictable moments. It simply hangs up the system ant that's it. Software caused problems do not disappear by them self too.

Isn't it some hardware not software problem?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The 3 finger reset is not a reboot. It is the highest degree of reset available to the user. Resetting using codes and from the menu does not reset to this degree. It is just a suggestion.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

[ Edited ]

Therefore a question - how any programming, cheating, rebooting or any software remedy can repair hardware problem if it is so?

And - why after a month at warranty service to repair this exact problem it shows up again?

Do you' think the service center do not know the lowest ever possible reboot possibility???

Why I should try to do this reset by myself, if there is still warranty on the Item.

Only question is - does the Nokia itself have faced the problem and found really functioning solution for it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I don't have those answers for you and you are quite right, no amount of rebooting or resetting will resolve a hardware issue which can only be fixed by replacing the faulty component. Hence, we are not able help you with hardware issues. I thought the reason you came to this forum was to look for an alternative, on the off chance that it was not a hardware problem. 

It sounds like you are waiting for an answer from Nokia. This is a user to user forum and Nokia don't usually reply to issues like this one on this forum. You could however try contacting them directly using the Contact Us tab to the top right of this screen.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

The question is - does to somebody it really helped to solve this problem, or it is only a guess?

Or for everybody only working solution was repair the phone at service or change to new phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Since your problem is intermittent, it could be either software or hardware. If it were my phone, I would try the deep reset first and if that didn't work then there isn't much else you can try except to send it to your local Nokia Care Point and let them sort it out. 

Another common cause of restarts is a bad sim card.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

[ Edited ]

So which "hard reset" is the right one?

I've tried *#7370# combo - it helped to put on latest OviMaps, but main problem still persists

I've red about three button combo reset - but it was for NOT MINI version of N97 (is it the same?)

I've red about freaky battery pin shortening in phone after battery removal.

Which version is the right one for "hard reset"?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The procedure is as follows. Needless to say you should backup your data first because everything on the phone will be wiped. Try not to backup settings and applications as these may be the cause of your problem. Apps can be reinstalled.

Turn your phone off. Then press and hold these 3 buttons circled while starting up the phone using the Power button. Hold the first 3 keys until you see the handshake.

• Caps shift
  • Space bar
  • Delete button
  • On button

If it’s worked you will see the initial set up screen, asking country of origin. If not try again. It is a little fiddly.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

[ Edited ]

Just tried - it did not changed a thing.

Same problem - touchscreen not working at all or mulfuctioning as previously did.

So it seams or very deep software problem or real hardware failure...

Seams to be laike here somwhere described problem with touchscreen "overload" or touchscreen panel shape change.

Most part of people report, that this problem appears after keeping the phone in trousers pocket wih monitor to leg.... If it is true - how big failure should it be, if  touchscreen can not handle or whitstand average phone using and keeping conditions...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Then it sounds like it is a hardware issue. Have you tried bringing it back to the care point? You should tell them the last repair did not work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

Hope that it will solve the situation...

Strangely - they were not surprised for my call and complains about not solved problem. Only said - Sad that problem still persists. Just bring it back, we'll try to solve the problem again...

(Despite that phone were at service over a month). Someway I think that they were not even tried to repair it - held for months and gave back without any change...

May be it is not solvable problem at all, and Nokia is like an ostrich, hiding the head in sand...

Interesting - somebody has the phone where this problem was really solved forever? Or only solution is ask for "money back" ant buying some HTC, iPhone or another nonNokia gadget...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The thing is most Nokia Care Points are not run by Nokia themselves but are instead run by contractors. Some contractors are better than others. You have the option of going back to the one you used before or trying another. If you have any issues with any of the care points you should contact Nokia directly using the "Contact us" tab to the top right of this screen to let them know. They have no way of knowing otherwise.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

Today morning I had a quite long phone talk with local Nokia care center, allready.

Also guy honestly said that there are problems with N97 mini's...

So - partialy they know that there are problems... Car manufacturers at least oficially "call back" cars with faults or somehow try to improve customer satisfaction

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DutchDocter

Hi there,

Nice and interesting discussion about your Nokia device. I am facing the same problems you have and was tempted many times to crash it. It is a very unreliable product and I know 3 friends with the same product and problems. It is strange Nokia did not offer its clients an alternative product. I know my next phone won't be a Nokia but  I have to wait until january 2012 sadly enough.

If anyone knows a solutions, Nokia should offer it to all her clients.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

Yesterday evening I gave back my faulty item to repair center. They said that, previously service center most likely couldn't find the cause of problem and just renewed the firmware.

Strangely - Yesterday morning talk with Nokia Customer care center figured out, that there were NO ANY registered repair or update action made by authorized service (and must be  registered). May be nothing was done or service center is not so "official".

Thank Good, yesterday the phone showed up the malfunction and guy said - most likely it is resistive touch sensor problem that should be replaced, because it after some time wears out or is tended to bend or so - so it becomes malfunctioning and should be replaced...

Strange - if the phone costs ~400 EUR the touch-screen sensor should be more wear-tear, bend or any problem resistant to average phone use conditions. To face this problem every 3 to 9 months - doesn't seams to be fair offer for that price...

Today I was promised to have a call from service - within what time phone will be back to me at working order... Still waiting.

Please use plain text.