Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 mini: piece of **bleep**

Contributor
pontevapm

N97 mini: piece of **bleep**

I've owned this phone for about six moths now, and I'm so totally **bleep** off with it. Nothing works. There are tens of different software problems in it. Menus are not working smoothly, music player is very slow to use, for example deleting songs from the library.

Connecting to the computer is so unbelievably problematic: usually needs to shut down the phone and reconnect battery to get it connected to computer. MTP-driver fails to install, some other drivers wont install. Why the hell it needs to install some drivers in every third time I connect it to the comp??? Isn't one time install enough?

These Comes With Music-things are mainly pure **bleep**. Ovi Player and Ovi Suite doesn't work. The usability is poor in them. Things just doesn't work like Windows and they crash often. Music downloads are often slow, and the worst part is that if you change a computer, you have to download everything again to get those DRM-licences back. Or at least have to reload the licence. The same apply to the phone: it was serviced because of the software issues, and now I have to reload licence again to every **bleep**ing track again!

Softwares are all up to date, and still they don't work. There are problems with installing for example Ovi Maps updates, getting error unknow error -5, problems with installing soundpacks to Ovi Maps. Have to do hard reset at least once in a month, because the phone slows down and doesn't work well anymore.

Here are only few problems mentioned, there are so many of them that I can't even remember them!

Ive owned a cell phone since 1996, and have had mainly Nokias, but I bet this is my last Nokia ever! The phone really isn't worth of 500€ I've payed of it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kai0

Reset it again, throw on ebay & run away.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@pontevapm the N97 is indeed very Bleep :smileyvery-happy: I've had one for 18 months and have constantly tried to de-bleep it , but it's only possible to get it running reasonably, you just need to find every tip you can to optimise everything and it is useable, but there are 100's of threads on the forum regarding this subject and you should be able to find some tips and workarrounds that may help you get some better use out of it if you do a few searches.

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pontevapm

Nah... It's not about optimizing the device. It just doesn't work like it's supposed to work. Main problem in my opinion is this Symbian platform. There are so many bugs in this firmware, that it just ruins the whole product. For example if you want to remove ten tracks from the music player library, it takes at least five minutes to get done. Hey, really, this makes the phone usable??? Today I needed navigation on the road, and I noticed the sounds don't work att all! How is it cured with any optimization? And few minutes ago I noticed, that the relicencing of the music tracks doesn't work at all. Doesn't log in on my account. Just looping message wait a moment in th web browser...

These promblems are maybe small, but when you have a product with tens of them, it spoils the product. I don't want to optimize my phone by using hundreds of tweaks, I only want a phone that works like it should be working. Without any crashing, without unknown error messages, without slowing down in a month of normal use, without needing to reinstall firmware or resetting it two times a month. This n97 mini just is ridicolous and as a paying customer I think I have a right to get working product.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gorkon

[ Edited ]

Although I do not doubt you are having the issues stated, I've also been using N97 mini now for 6 months with very few issues.  I've had only one crash in that timeframe which resulted in an auto power down-reset.  Otherwise, the phone has been very reliable. Navigation, maps, browsing, email/calendar/tasks sync to exchange, music, video, converters, calculators, travel

guides, bluetooth, camera, etc. all work very well.

It is true the phone is a bit slow due to it's slower processor and Symbian is a bit difficult to use, but the operating system is very mature and stable.  Although I am envious of Android and available h/w I'm scared of the newness of the platform.

I am hopeful that the upcoming N9 h/w with Meego or Symbian^3 will prove to be just as reliable.  If so, I will buy Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
nixy_fedorov

Hi all,  

Please bear in mind, the boards here are for user-to-user support only.

If you want to provide any feedback directly to Nokia, you should use the 'Contact us' link at the top of the page to contact your local Nokia team. 

Regards,

Nixy_Fedorov

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pontevapm

Hi nixy_fedorov!

I'm aware of that and I have been in contact with Nokia-team many times referring these issues. But to be honest, they only shrug their shoulders and that's about it.

Last problem I had here only few minutes ago was when I tried to remove file folders using windows explorer, and the phone stopped responding. It completely freezed. And it happened twice. And only thing helped was shutting it down' and removing battery for a while.

Only few minutes later, the keylock freezed. The phone only announces me to open keylock usin sliding switch and it does nothing. Batteryindicator has disappeared from the screen too. I can't even shut the phone down from the powerbutton. The only way, once again, is to remove battery.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Instead of posting a bleep filled rant did you not think to ask the users here for help? You've made three posts so far and not once have you asked for any assistance.

This whole point of this forum is for users to help each other, it is not a place for voicing your complaints to Nokia. Constructive, polite feedback is welcome, bleep filled rants are not and they will not be passed on.

I suggest you do one of two things:

1. Start a new topic, be polite and ask the other users here for help to resolve your issues, giving as much detail as possible.

2. If you feel that users cannot help you then write an official letter of complaint to Nokia in your country politely detailing your problems. The complaints address can be obtained by calling Nokia care.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@Pontevapm - I do want to ask you of course if you are running the latest firmware...
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

A great answer, Psycho!

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pontevapm

Thx for Your polite answer. It was very helpful.

I have following problems with the phone:

1. It crashes from time to time.

2. It is slow.

3. Menus are not working smoothly

4. Music player is VERY VERY slow and sticky.

5. Albumpictures doesn't load, or load very slow.

6. Changing tracks won't work sometimes at all. Phone simply freezes. Or the track changes after 15-30 sec.

7. Key lock have locked the phone couple of times so well, that it could be reopened only by removing battery.

8. Track removal from the library is very slow. Takes simply too mch time to remove songs from the library.

9. The battery doesn't last anywhere near as promised

10. Bluetooth connection with headsets breaks off.

11. The touchscreen scratches REALLY easily, only a piece of paper in the same pocket can scratch the screen.

12. The drivers doesn't work. USB MTP-driver fails often.

13. For some reason, drivers have to be installed more than once.

14. Ovi Maps is slow and sticky. Sometimes it doesn't find any adresses at all even used in online-mode.

15. Voices in Ovi Maps doesn't work. For some reason they just stopped working and the phone doesn't give any driving instructions at all.

16. The phone was a while ago serviced in a local AUTHORIZED Nokia service, and after the service, where they reinstalled the firmware, EVERYONE of the downloaded Comes With Music-album track needs to be relicensed. And it doesn't work. Once you need to log in to your account, then it shoud do it automatically, but the phone (browser) only gets stuck in a somekind loop, and nothing happens.

Here are few problems that I've had with the phone. Please, do You, dear psychomania, have any help for these problems?

And by the way, I have been in contact with Nokia, and according to them, there is nothing wrong with the phone. Maybe so, but according to my own experience, things are a bit differently.

And yet, I live here in Finland, where they make these "better" Nokia phones, and I have known the company Nokia since they were manufacturing only rubber boots. I have owned 13 mobile phones during last 15 years. Eight of them Nokias, and I really am a Nokiaman, yet only due my home country! But this Nokia N97 mini is the worst phone ever. So please,  don't try to be smart here. Sorry, but the phone just is carbage, and to be honest I want others to know it too, so they won't make the same mistake I did.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ladygaga684

i totally agree with you,

ihave had the same damn problems with the n97 mini, exact problems that you have listed...Your not alone buddy in this boat, it is the worst phone that nokia has ever created.....im sorry i m a nokia fan myself. But this one just doesnt do it....the phone itself works slow, i ve tried everything from reseting it to firmware upgrades non that worked at all.....i mean at all it didnt even at least make the system faster.....

Sad to say im still trying to sell it

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

pontevapm wrote:

I have following problems with the phone:

1. It crashes from time to time.

2. It is slow.

3. Menus are not working smoothly

4. Music player is VERY VERY slow and sticky.

5. Albumpictures doesn't load, or load very slow.

6. Changing tracks won't work sometimes at all. Phone simply freezes. Or the track changes after 15-30 sec.

7. Key lock have locked the phone couple of times so well, that it could be reopened only by removing battery.

8. Track removal from the library is very slow. Takes simply too mch time to remove songs from the library.

9. The battery doesn't last anywhere near as promised

10. Bluetooth connection with headsets breaks off.

11. The touchscreen scratches REALLY easily, only a piece of paper in the same pocket can scratch the screen.

12. The drivers doesn't work. USB MTP-driver fails often.

13. For some reason, drivers have to be installed more than once.

14. Ovi Maps is slow and sticky. Sometimes it doesn't find any adresses at all even used in online-mode.

15. Voices in Ovi Maps doesn't work. For some reason they just stopped working and the phone doesn't give any driving instructions at all.

16. The phone was a while ago serviced in a local AUTHORIZED Nokia service, and after the service, where they reinstalled the firmware, EVERYONE of the downloaded Comes With Music-album track needs to be relicensed. And it doesn't work. Once you need to log in to your account, then it shoud do it automatically, but the phone (browser) only gets stuck in a somekind loop, and nothing happens.

And by the way, I have been in contact with Nokia, and according to them, there is nothing wrong with the phone. Maybe so, but according to my own experience, things are a bit differently.

There are no real solutions for many stuffs you have mentioned....and nokia might be right when they say there's nothing wrong with the phone.  N97 mini is just the same as n97....it only has more phone memory, but remember, ram and processor clock is key for overall stability and speed  of the phone. Phone memory is secondary. Although most stuffs you have listed are real limitations, nokia don't consider them as problems ....Well, there's a problem when it crashes, but what  do you expect from small ram and slow cpu? Things load slowly because I (nokia) have put in slow cpu, phone crashes because I 've installed tiny ram, so where's the problem?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shadowninty

Thats right Nokia fanboys deny anythings wrong and then try to hide it Typical I'm sad whats happening to Nokia :smileysad:
EU FTW
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

It's not true that the Nokia Fanboys simply deny all problems, but Nokia fanboys are just users like yourself so we don't have all the answers. It is often the case, though, that something that appears as a 'bug' to the average user might be caused by other circumstances.

In response top a couple of the points in the above list...

(1) Battery life indications given are only guides. Talk time is based on the max time under testing that the phone has operated under GSM and 3G conditions in good signal areas with no other phone features running, and standby time is likewise the longest under testing that the phone has stayed switched on under GSM and 3G conditions in good signal areas with no other phone features running. You get two separate figures for each because GSM and 3G have different power consumption rates.

There are other useful tips here: /t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Maximize-battery-performance/td-p/431669

(2) If their are no vocal instructions from Maps, it could be corrupt data in the voice files - this is easy to fix by re-downloading the voice that you need using Ovi Suite. Note also that some voices are specific to "Walk" mode (specifically the "...with street names" voices, and some specific to Drive mode. If a voice that is not installed onto the phone has been selected and Maps doesn't have authority to go online to download it, then you'll get the silence. Silly as it may sound (but I've done this myself...), it is very easy whilst holding the phone to accidentally hold the volume key so that the volume goes to nothing. Note that the phone doesn't have a central volume setting, each individual application that makes noise has its own voice setting, so you might not realise that Maps volume is right down because you still hear sound from all other phone features.

(3) The reason you needed to relicense your music tracks after service by Nokia Care is that each time a phone is repaired, whatever the issue, the service point always reflashes the phone with the latest available software version, a process which also wipes out phone data. For copyright reasons, the DRM licences are not included in backups, hence the need to re-license. This should no longer be a problem, as most countries now have Ovi Music with MP3 files instead of the old Nokia Music with DRM-protected WMA files, so any content that you have bought can be redownloaded as DRM-free MP3s. [Note, however, that free downloads from Comes With Music/Ovi Music Unlimited are still DRM-locked WMA files, so they will continue to need relicensing each time a phone's memory is wiped - the process is not difficult, though, provided you have copies in Ovi Player on your PC - your just need to resync all of your music with the phone via Ovi Player]

Please use plain text.