Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 slide lock broken - is this a common probl...

Registered Member
Beijing101

N97 slide lock broken - is this a common problem

Am working in China where I bought a N97 last year. When pulling the phone out of the wallet (supplied by Nokia) last week the slide lock split and fell off. When my secretary took it to the Care Centre to get it fixed (her Chinese is better than mine) they charged RMB200 (about 20 pounds) to repair it. Is this normal? They said that even though the lock was probably faulty I could not prove it.

When I called Nokia Care all they could say was 'this is our policy in China'. I like the phone but cannot stand the Nokia customer service these days. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

Re: N97 slide lock broken - is this a common problem

It's normal. Nokia does not cover a broken lock under warranty. They say it's a hardware break, just like if something else breaks when dropping the phone.

I already had my slider repaired twice, for $25/each. It seems to happen every three months.

If it breaks again, I am going to get an iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Mine broke too. I purchased an entire back panel and fixed it myself. That was $60.00. But the back panel came with the camera lens cover also. it was quicker doing it that way instead of sending it in since there are no care centers around the US.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
exN97fan

My side, locking slide button broke off too.  I've been rattled a lot by the Nokia Care's lack of assistance.  I called them 4 times to resolve the issue with a broken switch as I never had calls back from the supervisers like they said they would.  When I finally did speak to a supervisor, he advised me to voice my complaint to cert-uk@anovo.com or Write to the Head of Customer Care, ...GU10 4NG

I have done emailed my complaint in the hope for a faster response.  I seem to be in a war with them.  I argue that it is warranty (design flaw); they class this as wear and tear and do not see beyond that.  If I had a 5month old car, I wouldn't expect the door to just come off due to the hinges not being able to serve the general use of open and close!  I wouldn't expect that after 5 years...

I am tempted to take it to a standalone, non-approved repair shop as they say they can replace the switch for just £20 within an hour.  I can't stand the idea of sending it by post and waiting for 2 weeks without any guarantees it will be put right at no charge.  Carphone Warehouse (approved Nokia Repair centre) would charge me £85 for the repair as they would change the whole back of the handset - but their turnaround time is 24hours.  I'll still hold off doing anything for a couple more days in the hope that Nokia respond to me with news that this will be covered by warranty and that I can take it to Carphone Warehouse for a fast repair.

This is my 5th Nokia hanset in a row, but Depending how Nokia look after this case, I won't be buying another Nokia handset, but instead go with the common IPhone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
n97pain

Can you tell me how exactly you replace the side slide lock? How do you get it to hold in place tightly. I have tried so many times and it is very loose.  I cannot seem to get it to snap in place. Your help is appreciated. Thank you very much!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anordin

Hi, the local Nokia Svce Center in Kuala Lumpur will do it free for the 1st time, provided its still under warranty.

However, if out of warranty, the cost is MYR140 or abt USD 40. Nokia will replace with a new back panel.

However, I hv bought the slider switch on ebay for USD10. But I hv a similar problem i.e. I cannot lock in the new slider switch. I am thinking of using a hot iron, to lock in the slider switch.

Comments plse.

tq

Please use plain text.

my n97 slider switch fell off and disappeared last week. one minute it was there, the next it wasnt.

having been a nokia owner for the last 13 years, this is the first phone i have had that had broken like this in such a small amount of time (14 months!). most of my nokias have worked for at least 4 years before having issues. i take good care of my phones, and have *never* broken one myself.

therefore, this slider issue is definitely a design flaw. i just hope nokia see this isnt my fault, and is due to me mistreating the phone (which i didnt). according to the serial warranty check, it is still under warranty at least...

depending on how I am treated by nokia with this repair will probably help me decide whether to go for the N9, or either an iphone or HTC handset next. as a loyal symbian user for the last 7 years, i have become increasingly wound up over the various faults of an otherwise brilliant phone (having to factory reset every 6 months to get anything over 10mb free on C is a joke! i put up with the v10 firmware issues, and the camera slider/glass making the camera glare when in the dark is a minor issue which i have put off having fixed because i didnt want to send off my phone for repair)

so nokia, impress me with your service skills, or you will lose a very loyal customer....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vicarofsidley

Switch broke yesterday. Called Nokia service centre this morning to check if the phone was in warranty - it was. Dropped phone in on the way to a client. 70 mins later picked up the repaired phone. No cost. Awesome. Fault is recognised as a product failure and 'therefore repaired at no cost with an apology from the Nokia service engineer for any inconvienence caused. Replacement part (the whole phone shaped black case that the switch sits in that includes the camera lens protector) is an upgraded part and I am assured the problem will not recur. One very happy Nokia owner - my suggestion? Where a dog collar (Rev) into the service shop!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roz_n97

Mine's just broke after 22 months. Better than some, but really not acceptable is it? Called the insurance company who charge me an emmence £6 a month (I know, I never manged to cancel/change it) and they will handle but there's a £25 excess on the policy :smileymad:

Looked up how much the phone's worth on Mazuma, and it's gone down to £82 (wonder why...) for a fully functioning phone, or £30 for a broken one. So is it worth paying £25 so I can get back £83 in a couple of months time when I go for an iPhone instead?? hmmm

I have got all the pieces so I'm going try some microsurgery with super glue over the weekend first.

And perhaps I'll download on of those iPhone style slider apps (any recommendations?)

Cheers,
"ROZ"
N97 on GiffGaff
Started to grind to a halt until I hard reset it - still a lot slowly than my wife's iP4
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fairladyz

hi,

is it really true that if your phone still under warranty, nokia will replace the slide lock for free? can you tell me which centre can provide that? coz i just called nokia care centre and they said it is under cosmetic which is not covered by nokia warranty. thanks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chillenin05

How did  you fix your phone yourself?

Because I've been looking everywhere on how to fix my phone (I've looked all over Google) thanks help is really appreciated :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roz_n97

I tried mine with superglue, but it didn't work very well, and if anything made the side of the phone a bit messy.... I'm thinking about having a go with polystyrene cement, but it really has to be microsurgery as the parts are so small. Absolutely crazy design really. A moving part connected by the thinest plastic rod????

I'm surviving with pocketlock from the Ovi store. Works well and it's free.

Only one month of contract left - hurrah!

Cheers,
"ROZ"
N97 on GiffGaff
Started to grind to a halt until I hard reset it - still a lot slowly than my wife's iP4
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dineshhonaje

my sidelock fell off sum time ago.....i fixed it myself using a hard glue!
Please use plain text.