Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 v12 and 5800 v30 .. YAWN

Mobile Guru

N97 v12 and 5800 v30 .. YAWN

You see, I have to say 'YAWN' because when I actually yawn, you don't get it do you Nokia..

Two phones. Both bought directly from Nokia "sim-free".. BOTH stuck on the old firmware.. how old is the 5800 v30 firmware now? 3 weeks old? 

I'm hopefully getting my hands on a Sony Ericsson Satio in the next few days. A Symbian phone from another Vendor! Hopefully I'll see how a competitor to Nokia might've managed to have released a phone on the same platform that does not suck so unbelievably...

Get a move on with your mind numbingly convoluted release cycle with its secret change log and even more secret release dates.. 

Still no Mac support for the N97, ey... tut.. no chance you could add the USB Id's of the N97 to the existing Mac software so it would just work? I doubt very much it requires a code change and lets face it.. what's the worst it'd do.. break the phone and I'd need to *#7370* it? ooooooh.. not for the 85th time then?!

grrrrrr

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

again you have been here long enough to know that nokia as is will not respond to your whiny dissatisfaction. we know we know how unhappy you are. this has been the story with you since day one. YAWN same old same old. 

really could be a bit more original. how about helping a user once in a while instead of just **bleep** ? i'm just sayin........ 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

*yawn*

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
illinjah

cpitchford wrote:

*yawn*

Oh please..how old are you? 12?

This place is called Nokia Discussions not Nokia Kindergarten, so please try to stay factual and don´t act like a child, ok? :smileyhappy: 

By clicking the "Kudos!" or the "Solution?" button on the right you can say "Thank You" and you´ll show the author and others that the post is useful.

The day we stop improving is the day we stop being good.

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

@ cpitchford.

You sir, are a comedic genius.

Go buy your SE phone and don't come back. Whining just for the sake of it is useless and clutters up the forum. We're here to help people with problems, not listen to your whinging. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by metalfan on 18-Aug-2009 11:15 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage
loveuhateu

If you feel SEs are the best then go with SE, and dont even come back to Nokia. Nokia serves better than any other providers. But still sometimes nokia doesn't listens people are screeming!
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
miyra

Go get your Sony Ericsson phone and never come back to Nokia.

3310 >>> 8250 >>> 3120 >>> 6070 >>> 5300 XpressMusic >>> 6120 Classic >>> 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

whoa! all this hatred of SE!! I'm not buying (I don't think its out for a while), only playing. I'm far more a Symbian fan than a Nokia fan and I'm really very interested to see how Symbian is performing on other vendors.. I did use a UIQ P910 for a while and actually wasn't too keen.. I prefered S60.. Since Symbian is trying to position as a serious smart phone platform, I'm interested to know how other first gen handsets are going to compare against the N97..

Lets face it, it has bombed horribly and I don't think it anyone could deny it is a rushed-to-market problem. I've seen an used the Samsung S60 offering and was impressed and I look forward to seeing the many other Symbian devices. Maybe with Symbian becoming an "open" platform the necessity to buy Nokia will deminish. Imagine if Mac OS was available for all PCs.. you wouldn't necessarily need a mac book for the "mac" experience.. 

So, if Nokia is going to remain a strong contender in a market where others are selling compatible phones it is going to be all about the value add Nokia brings.. OVI and its app store for example. Maybe Nokia maps will keep people with the brand as it is more or less free. It hangs in the balance though, doesn't it? If they wind users up with buggy phone implementation then maybe people will be driven to competitors, especially if they like the platform and it *IS* available elsewhere? 500,000 N97 users can't be wrong.. but then again.. that's only 500,000.. What are they going to do to drive those numbers up.. Maybe the 97-mini will attract more people, dunno.. not too important I suppose.

Please use plain text.

yeah right.

SE is nothing compared to nokia.

anyways....nokia should listen to consumers rather than rely on their own research team

that will be more helpful

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

See, I'm not convinced that'll be the case any more. If Nokia, SE and Samsung are all going to be producing symbian phones, this might be a bit of a golden era. There's nothing wrong with choice. I think it is a big advantage of Android over say the iPhone or Pre that it can be used, customised and extended by any vendor.. ditto for the new Symbian.

The P800/900etc SE phones did seem to be very popular, I remeber many friends had/used the. Though they were symbian based, they weren't "compatible" with the Nokia kit (though didn't Nokia release their own re-branded UIQ handset for the Asia market?) and that wouldn't have helped Symbian as a brand back then.

Now we're looking towards a unified platform, Nokia are going to have to work that bit harder to keep people from moving to other vendors that offer the same platform. Samsung and their AMOLED display, SE and their 12MP camera, Nokia and their 32GB storage.. each symbian platform has its own sparkly feature that attracts attention. My interest is whether the platform is poor (and that would be a shame), or have Nokia dropped the ball and screwed up their implementation of it. Comparing other vendors Symbian phones will speak lots. 

Honestly, what is wrong with SE? I can't say I've had any experience dealing with the company or support. Certainly nothing that stuck in my memory any how.

Please use plain text.
Sage
loveuhateu

Yeah its users choice to choose what they prefer.
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Satio v N97

Just follow up.. I did play with a pre-release satio at the weekend and I have to say it's actually pretty nice!

The screen is much more shiny than the N97 sort of like comparing a matte and gloss laptop screen.

It feels a little bit snappier too.. I put this down to a lack of theme effects (which were disabled. The screen rotate with the theme options turned off was "atomic" rotate the phone and almost immediately the screen swapped.. no slow redraw or fade to black..

The home screen was obviously very different and geared towards the SE look and feel but the main menu app felt almost identical to the N97. To be fair, the phone felt a bit more like a 5800 than a N97.

Size wise it is very similar, thinner but that would be down to the N97 keyboard.. It is certainly larger than the 5800. No micro USB.. that's a bit odd.. perhaps it will change in the final release? I thought SE was in on the standardising connectors effort.

It had a google maps app, but not much else GPS wise.. This I think was down to the fact it was really pre-release.. 

The camera (12.1mp) was phenominal, but what do you expect.. The slide on the back does look a bit like a blister.. but it does an infinitely better job of protecting the camera.. the flash is xenon too.. and shares no flat plastic for that **bleep** bleed problem (maaan. that really irritates me on the N97!) It has extra hardware buttons too.. more than the camera and volume. Although they're geared towards media functions, I'm sure that could be helpful when trying to map functions (like missing pencil button, for example)

On the whole, I was actually really impressed. I loved playing with the R&D tools :smileywink: Neat for looking around the parts of the OS that are hidden. It didn't have a file manager app so I couldn't tell you how much free memory it has.. I've asked for a follow up on that (especially as my N97 is back under 10meg again .grrrrr)

Compared to the rather old 5800, I *think* I'd prefer the Satio.. however.. the N97 and its keyboard (albeit a keyboard without a damn control key!!! COPY AND PASTE DAMN IT!) still beats it on the hardware stakes.. (asides from the **bleep** keyboard cover does and the loose screen/vibrate does anyone dislike the N97 hardware?)

Software wise, it was really very stable! At no stage did it play the Nokia ring tone instead of the ring tone set in the profile :smileytongue:

What was really great was seeing yet another Symbian phone.. Forgetting the PC software (which really isn't of much interest to mac user's anyway.. the mac user base is large.. considerable larger than say the N97 userbase! Nokia, stop ignoring or atleast update your mac software!) the phone is a really usable symbian phone. For the day to day, stock symbian stuff you'd hardly notice the difference.. I'm not sure Nokia or SE would be please about that fact, but as a Symbian fan.. I'm really pleased

The software on the phone suggest that some of the N97 bugs are Nokia bugs.. This is good because it puts the blame at Nokia's door.. by that I mean Symbian aren't to blame, its what Nokia do that's causing a problem.. 

As more and more Symbian handsets are released and if Nokia don't fix their attitude to testing this will become more and more apparently.. the good news for the Symbian fans out there is that you might now have a choice of vendors.. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

radical24 wrote:

again you have been here long enough to know that nokia as is will not respond to your whiny dissatisfaction. we know we know how unhappy you are. this has been the story with you since day one. YAWN same old same old. 

really could be a bit more original. how about helping a user once in a while instead of just **bleep** ? i'm just sayin........ 

It's a shame that posts like the OP don't help people avoid Nokia in the first place. The trouble is, once you've purchased your Nokia and it sucks, all you can do is post your opinion on this forum for all the good that will do. Or get your phone replaced with another that will probably be just the same, since most of the problems are down to the firmware.

Your response just about sums the whole Nokia ownership experience. You just have to endure it. There is no help.

This forum seems to only promote the notion that Nokia customers should just shut up and put up. and hard/soft/reformat their phones regularly. Or go away and never come back.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

dwedgbury wrote:

radical24 wrote:

It's a shame that posts like the OP don't help people avoid Nokia in the first place. The trouble is, once you've purchased your Nokia and it sucks, all you can do is post your opinion on this forum for all the good that will do. Or get your phone replaced with another that will probably be just the same, since most of the problems are down to the firmware.

Your response just about sums the whole Nokia ownership experience. You just have to endure it. There is no help.

This forum seems to only promote the notion that Nokia customers should just shut up and put up. and hard/soft/reformat their phones regularly. Or go away and never come back.

This Forum promotes the notion of support, problem solving, addressing issues of users that already have nokia devices. it is and always has been a USER TO USER forum. it is not a blog/forum where you complain and complain and it leads to nothing. This is an action - solution- assistance driven forum. I dont care that you dont like your phone or that it sucks. i care about how to help users that want help with thier devices. so if you have a need to complain then contact us button on the top right is the place to do it and about thousand other blogs and forums on the internet. 

If you have not done your research and read up on other user experience on blogs and forums then don't come here and whine that you are unhappy. it is a user responsibility to know what it is that they are buying. NOT just because phone looks pretty it is a must have. Use common sense and understand the product prior to purchase, just like you would do with the car or a new computer.  

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

lol i must have missed the promotional stuff where it mentions that some of the features "may not function as advertised" or something!

Like I said, you can't really find out how much a product sucks until you've bought one...

But at least there is the comfort of support from other users in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lilhaiti

There are a lot of reviews that hit the streets just before and around the same time the N97 hit the streets.  The research was there, you just had to read it.  I am a 5800 owner, and I was aware of all of the issues before buying the phone, but for the money I could not have bought a more feature endowed phone.  Yeah if I wanted flash and fireworks I could have gone to a different vendor but then I would either loose money or features.  But the N97 on the other hand cost around the same as some of the phones with flash and fireworks but it ony managed a fizzle.  I am starting to believe that both the N97 and the 5800 were pilot project to see how customers would recieve its touch screen offernings and to Nokia's credit, amidst all of the potentially damaging reviews by many; these phones where large scale successes.  This is largely due to reputation.  SE and Samsung can not afford to release pilots because their reputation doesn't precede them the same way that Nokia's does, I have had several SE and Samsung phones and they do focus more on the "What you see" as apposed to "what you get"; the more you see the less you get or the more you pay.  I truly believe that Nokia will rectify these issues; but not in these legacy devices.  

I have grown very used to my phone and have fixed a lot of my dislikes myself (by adding software).  I do agree that this forum is a place to help each other with their phones but sometime people just have to vent...let them vent here amongst "family" and not push them off to other sites.  If you don't have anything constructive to add to the venting, go to the next post, but please don't redicule a person for voicing an oppinion.  This man is obviously a Nokia man (maybe not a fan) since he has two Nokia devices, so don't push him into the street because he will not just "shut up and put up".  Thats my two cents and I will continue on to the next post. 

Please use plain text.