Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 vs. N900

Counsellor
chake

N97 vs. N900

With Nokia's new, big push of the Linux/Maemo-based N900 (see here: http://conversations.nokia.com/  ) at the upcoming Nokia World 09, and their virtual silence in the face of all the complaints about the N97, does anyone else get the feeling that after last December's announcement of the N97 and the euphoria it generated, the cold, hard facts of building a 32G device on a small processor with Touch features grafted onto a Symbian S60 system gave them second thoughts? That they pushed it out the door last June unready so they could clear the deck for the new system? Look at the first update that came within two weeks of the initial launch. The update itself was dated prior to the launch. The latest update encompasses about a dozen minor fixes. Smallest changelog in Nokia history I read somewhere. 

I'm **bleep** because I need functionality between my N97 and my Mac especially with Contacts and Calendars and that isn't happening...more than two months after I bought my N97 on the day of launch. It's supposed to be a Smartphone, dummies.

Some have said the firmware was broken or the USB standards were futzed up so synching cannot be done. But we find other problems, too, in Photos and Music and Contacts. Maybe S60 or the processor just can't handle 32G. Whatever the issues, I'm getting the feeling that this N97 was pushed out the door with very little support, so they can focus on the "new flagship" - the N900. Just a few months ago, the N97 was touted by Nokia as "The Flagship".

I hope some folks (reporters/bloggers) who actually attend Nokia World 09 ask some hard questions about the lack of support for the problems N97 early adopters have encountered and why anyone should have more confidence in the readiness of the new flagship.

Nokia needs to do some serious customer satisfaction work in the N97 arena. We paid a lot of money for a phone that seems to already be heading off Nokia's radar. A system upgrade would be a start. Adding the N97 to the "Comes with Music" program would help pay back in kind a lot of the time that we have spent endlessly tweeking, re-starting and "restoring to factory settings" to get the whole mess working correctly. Offering a turn-in/replacement credit/upgrade to the new N900 would be another.

Nokia, if you are listening...most of us here like you and like your stuff. We've been buying Nokia for years. But please don't **bleep** on our head and tell it's just a bit of rain.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i do agree with chake, frankly speakin i did sell of ma xbox to get a hand on n97 keepin mind that its worth. after all the advertisment nokia had produced to market n97, after couple of month i read about the new n900. i was bout to give a crack at my n97. i reckon they shuld compensate their loyal customers.. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

I agree with chake..

Nokia N97 is just halfway finished.. And i can't even update mine.. even when i contact nokia support, they can't help me.. I have experienced these faults: slow respond, bluetooth compatebility, crasj and battery that last for max 1 day..

This phone is nothing else than old technology in a new shell..

I've also been a Nokia fan for years.. with this phone.. it's likely that i by another brand next time..

Please use plain text.
Sage
rajaspidey

Yeah Nseries devices are not so good :smileysad: m very much frustated usin N96 i tot f buyin 97 but after seeing users cry here i stop`d dreamin about N97 :smileysad::smileysad:
If you find my posts useful please say

thank you by clicking the Kudos! star.

:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
waqassonic

its just sad :smileysad: buy a so called flagship the next thing u know there is a mini version and a newer flagship commin (n900) wats the point i am extremely dissapointed.
Please Hit The Kudos Button if U Find My Post Helpful - Cheers
Please use plain text.
Professor
kavi6233

True! Nseries I used were awesome. The N93i,N82 and now the N86. Some phone that Nokia gives the Title of "flagship" do'not meet the consumer's standards! I think Nokia should chose their flagship titles to phone that have the required standard!

Personally, the N97 is a Mixed Blessing for Nokia!

Like Windows Vista for Microsoft!

Am sure Nokia is coming with an awesome phone! 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
waqassonic

well i thought that awesome fone would be n97 and brought it apparently there is something big comming in nokia world not being selfish but this is frekin unfair, i wanted the n97 to be my next n95 (tried several fones in b/w e71,lg arena,5800 etc) and uptill now it isn't
Please Hit The Kudos Button if U Find My Post Helpful - Cheers
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chake

Oh, and it occurs to me...will the N900 have a Linux-Maemo version of PC Suite ready to go? Or even Ovi Suite? Someone ask that question at Nokia World 09 please.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ercanmetin

I share your thoughts exactly! This phone with stupid amount of RAM is a joke! I have never been more sorry in my life than purchasing a N97. This phone is struggling to RUN! I checked the free RAM of a phone in a Nokia flagship store it had 24mb free RAM.. How can you even display that phone only first time phone buyers with no idea about system configuration would buy the phone! My phone (after disabling all advertised wigdets etcc) only have 45mb free ram after boot. This is half of the amount of free RAM on N95 8gb. I knew that they would come up with a better version of N97 within 6 months of this **bleep**. If I know anything N900 must be a free gift from Nokia to all N97 users.. To Fix their mistake! Yes it is a HUGE dumb mistake to produce a phone with funny amount of free RAM. This phone is total garbage. Everytime I use it I am having very hard time that it is actually a Nokia device.. My favorite company in the whole world has ruined my trust and love for them. Pity
Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

Hence my suggetion in the last N900 thread which was deleted Nokia should offer all unhappy N97 customers a  reduced trade in price when the N900 hits the high street.

The problem with the N97 is not just a buggy firmware, the hardware is quite shabby too. The other day I was running for the bus with the phone in my pocket that was enough to mess it up now there is a rattle comming out of it.

Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Sage
mo_shef

The Nokia N97 is just a useless piece of phone by Nokia. Nothing new its just the qwerty keypad and touchscreen with 32GB storage. You want something new then the Nokia N900 is the real deal. People get fascinated by N97 and many users did and I can gurantee you some or most users of N97 are regretting they made that choice in getting it in the first place.

The thing to get fascinated about is the Nokia N900. 

If you find my post useful then click on
Kudos!
Nokia N86 8MP (v20.115 / RM-484)
Please use plain text.

Maybe the N900 is the real deal for nokia.. i'm not convinced.. i have to use a nokia **bleep** flagship until i can sell it and by a real phone..

The really need to fix N97 with FW or something.. quick..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cesarcesar

i too am very disgusted with my N97 and its pitaful performance. i am also highly **bleep** that just after releasing the N97 they are gonna launch the real flagship. seriously F'n lamn nokia. one good thing on my side is that im on my 3rd N97 so if i return this one i get a replacment phone of my choice. i think its going back in October, perfeect timimg for the N900.
CesarCesar
LOVE my 5700 ExpressMusic, HATED my N97, Salivating for a N900
Like my post? Kudo me Please!
Please use plain text.
Sage
mo_shef

[ Edited ]

The N97 is a real mess. Even the manual was not even ready properly. Nokia should definetly compensate those who purchased the N97 buy giving them a choice to swap for the N900. Also they should take N97 off the market. That is a piece of junk in the market. Is that what you call Nokia the World leader in mobile? Even motorola don't make this sort of error. The N97 should be put to rest its a shameful device everything in that device is cheap tak hardware.

Nokia have three choices to get the N97 customers happy again by either doing the following and I think its a good idea;

- Replace N97 with N900

- Replace the OS of N97 to Maemo (which can be done), this will sort out all the symbian problems

- Compensate N97 users with £150 off their next purchase on mobile or accessories.

Maybe all N97 users should complain to BBC Watchdog then they'll definetly do something. Nokia dont even care about customers if they did they would act upon this by now. So lame Nokia are and thats do truth. Hope i didnt hurt any Nokia Fan boys/girls heart, where I am to also a Nokia Fan. I just think Nokia need to treat their customers with respect not like their some kind of dirt.

Message Edited by mo_shef on 31-Aug-2009 01:04 AM
If you find my post useful then click on
Kudos!
Nokia N86 8MP (v20.115 / RM-484)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I totally agree!!! How the F*** can nokia release another so called "flagship" phone when the n97 has unsolved problems!! This is really unfair to all us loyal nokia customers!! THEY NEED TO FIX THE N97 PROBLEMS OR LET US TRADE THEM IN FOR THE N900!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

ye, looks like we been used as N97 beta testers.

now N97 mini has things like more C drive, probably more RAM, maybe good GPS and also no lens cover to scratch the lens(had my n95 8GB for more than a year and no scratches on the lens so i think not having a cover is actually better than having one that scratches the lens), and have you noticed flash and camera are seperate now? not like n97 which can cause flash flooding left hand side of the photo.

and n900 is everything n97 should have been,

we have all been taken for a ride, spend lots of money and bought lots of hassle, headache .......................

nokia sort it out :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
SEEMZ LIKKE WE, THE LOYAL CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN USED SO CHEAPLY. AT FIRST THY CLAIMED THE N97 TO BE THEIR SO CALLED FLAGSHIP PHONE,FALSE ADERTISMENT. THEN EVEN NOT ALL THE PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED THEY ANNOUNCE THE N900. THIS IS JUST UNFAIR N I RECKON THY NOKIA SHULD PAY FOR THEIR **bleep** MISTAKES. N BY THE WE ALL LOYAL CUSTOMERS WHO ARE SO **bleep** OFF AND POSTING ALL THE FRUSTRATION ON THIS POST ARE NOKIA PEOPLE READING THIS.
Message Edited by concordia on 31-Aug-2009 02:01 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
ercanmetin

We are the beta testers exactly.. I bought this **bleep** for 700$ because it was going to multi task, work like a charm. This phone is struggling to run the symbian OS with this funny configuration.. Now if I want to sell it, it probably will bring 400$ but to be fair this phone as brand new should cost 50$ because it is a non stable beta test device. The people who are happy with their N97 are not using it fully. I am a very heavy user coming from n95 8gb which had 90mb free ram on boot. This device is a funny dumb toy for me. Only reason I kept it so far was in trust to nokia firmware updates but I have updated the firmware each time there was update. Not even 1mb of ram didn't come with firmware updates.. So for me ANY PHONE WITH LESS THEN 100MB FREE RAM IS TRASH(it is 4 years after n95, nothing advanced in technology or what??). Nokia will never do this but In my opinion the N900 must be free update for N97 users. Dont get me wrong I always like to pay high prices for Nokia because I always felt good owning a Nokia. I always knew I have the most advanced technology in my hands.. I always said I could pay 1000$ for N97 only if it had more than 100mb free ram. I am sick of this device. Idiots put 32gb e: cannot put 200mb C: cannot put 200mb free ram! This phone was advertised to have wigdets on the desktop. I never run widgets because when I have 3 wigdets installed and running it consumes more than 9mb Ram. I have 43mb free ram on boot. When I use the web browser it comes down to 30mb some web pages even closes the web browser because of limited ram. nokia how will I multitask with this device? How will I run the advertised widgets? i can run widgets and when I decide to use the web I must edit content on desktop and close all the widgets.. When I want skype, nimbuzz, fring, I must kill the browser.. So I must forget about anything else in the world and be a RAM controller to be able to use this stupid dumb toy. I will buy N900. Because I try to remember the Nokia I know but Nokia do something for me and fire every person behind N97!! Designers, engineers, decision makers they have no idea about what Nokia is. They never loved Nokia as we love Nokia. And obviously they have never relied on Nokia like us.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ercanmetin

We must all start some kind of petition against nokia and collect signatures to be able to get n900 for a discounted price. This phone does not do nothing they advertised. I will talk to my lawyer about this. This has been ridicilous. I bought the phone the minute I turned it on I knew it was **bleep**. I could send it back that time or even sell it unused I waited for the firmware updates.. But firmware updates have been funnier than the phone. I am not even complaining that I had to hard reset the phone 3 times after the firmware update.. I have never spent this much time on any device trying to get couple more mb free ram!!!! We paid 700$ and counting mb by mb to be able run something. I listen music when I run nimbuzz the music player stops and quits.. Web browser kicks the other one out.. I cannot use the keyboard to text when webbrowser is open on a normal size page.. I have to close it to have the keypad function again.. Dont even get me started about camera, lens, and nighttime photography.. After 4-5 years after N95 they couldnt even give me a camera quality like N95 ah nokia! You killed my love for you with this toy for 5 year olds
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

there you go ercanmetin, i was bout to say the same thing, we shuld start a petition against nokia. i thought i was the only one experiences the problem whereby teh web browser shuts down, if i run application on the homescreen. u will be surprised that whenever i check my ram available, i only have arund 15 mb free. wat the hell, is this what u call a flagship. i constantly have to clear ma cache, delete my email, to free off my c drive memory, teh screen doesnt rotate propely, it takes like few minutes to arrange itself.....any many more problems.

i reckon we shuldnt wait too long to start a petition

Please use plain text.