Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 vs. N900

Contributor

I agree

We should do something so Nokia can see that this phone Really sucks !

I have now formated the device more than 8 times since i had it, And guess what i need to re do it again cause Phone Cam dont work, Music and video player (Real player dont work)

Worst phone i ever had, and im 2 an advanced user who like to fill the phone with progs, and thought that this is an advanced phone like old N95 8gb ! but but ...

Any ways If some Nice guy would start an upprise of somekind against nokia N97 we all would be thankfull :smileyhappy:

N97
N95 8GB
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

lol. Maybe somebody will have launched some kind of N97 petition. Maybe at petitiononline.com

Might be worth a look...

Visit Daves N97 Freeware Collection - http://www.davecozens.com/n97
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chake

secyritas said: "I have to agree. I have never bought as expensive smart phone as N97 and i really thought that this could be it, finally WORKING smart phone from Nokia. A flagship device, they said. Few months after N97 hit the streets there were some rumours about Maemo-phone from Nokia. I have waited for such kind of device from Nokia...

...I would bought a N900 if Nokia will take my N97 as replacement. But I think when you suggest something like this to Nokia, they will say "Sorry guys..."

Yep. Which is probably why Nokia is using market segmentation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_segment ) to claim "The N900's not a smartphone, it's a tablet!" 

It's a smartphone, guys. It makes phone calls by dialing and holding it up to your ear. 2G or 3G doesn't matter. MMS doesn't matter in the definition of "phone". It's smart because it has functions that go beyond phones, such as contact and calendaring, extra widgets or apps.

Syncing, to me is necessary on a "smartphone". I use Mac exclusively and the bitterest pill I've had to swallow is that while my old, sweet N95 synced perfectly with my Macbook, 3 months on (yeah, I bought the N97 on the first day it was available) we have still yet to see a Mac iSync plug-in and worse, V12 of the firmware killed the Nokia Media Transfer plug-in that WAS released a week after the phone went on sale. But I digress, because I don't want to make this Mac centric. And that would further feed the Nokia "market segmentationists" who have been recently trolling these discussions.

Despite having upgraded to ver 12 when it came out, there are still issues with the phone. Panaceas of "wait 'til V2.0" comes are welcoming. But these things, or many of them, should have been worked out before the phone was released. My guess is they might have been if "resources" hadn't been shifted to the N900/Maemo side. And then the marketing push began at NW09 for the N900. Then came the "It's not a Smartphone, it's a Tablet!" koan. Which has become a mantra here among the Nokia shills (radical24 and matt_t).

Maybe it's just me, but a "tablet" has always been a computer/notebook/device where input is provided by touchscreen, stylus or  finger. Thank you Nokia, for redefining  changing my understanding of what a Tablet is.

Actually, I wasn't thinking "Tablet, yeah I want one!" when I paid big money on the first day the N97 was available. But one of the reasons I wanted it was BECAUSE it had alternative input methods. And it does. I have had absolutely 0 problems with any of the input methods. I can even scratch messages with my finger across the interface and it accurately reads and writes what I scratched. That to me is what a Tablet is, and the N97 does that very well. 3G and MMS and Maemo have nothing to do with the what a "Tablet" is or isn't. 

But wait! In all those aspects the N97 provides that. I can input by stylus, and finger, and touchscreen and QWERTY. (I have an Asian N97 with stylus and I can use all four inputs when it's not otherwise crashing for other reasons). So how is my N97 NOT a "Tablet" under that generally accepted definition of a "Tablet"? Tablets are usually larger, but wait....the N900 and the N97 are about the same size. Please, market segmentationists, please differentiate it for me? 

Then pull the other one. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

If you guys are serious about a petition then here you go:

http://petition.co.uk/sign_the_petition_against_the_n900_as_an_n97_customer

Worth a try.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

well lets say we sign the petitio n then what will happen. Considering nokia being a big company thy wnt give a **bleep** bout the petiton. N by the i checked the site it doesnt have any petition.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Despite having upgraded to ver 12 when it came out, there are still issues with the phone. Panaceas of "wait 'til V2.0" comes are welcoming. But these things, or many of them, should have been worked out before the phone was released. My guess is they might have been if "resources" hadn't been shifted to the N900/Maemo side. And then the marketing push began at NW09 for the N900. Then came the "It's not a Smartphone, it's a Tablet!" koan. Which has become a mantra here among the Nokia shills (radical24 and matt_t).

@ Chake

now unless you have facts to support your claims, i would reconsider stuff like that. as it could get you sued for defamation. what you are stating about myself and Matt_t is absolute garbage. and i would appreciate if you abstained from such rubbish statement in the future in regards at least to myself.  i am a user just like yourself. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE is that i actually like nokia products and enjoy them that is the reason why i joined the forum. i don't whine and moan non stop on how unhappy you are with a product, that clearly you have done NO research on prior to purchase. keep this in mind and think twice when considering posting ANYTHING in the future with my user name. this is not a personal forum if you need to vent your intricate plots this is NOT the place to do it. make a new forum where users like yourself can join in mutual moan and celebration of misery. these boards are to support users and their products, problem solve and troubleshoot. if this is not why you are here then i suggest you find another venue for all this useless negativity and venom for whom????? in virtual world it means that you are wasting time when other users could be helped and assisted. enough said and i am disgusted with your stand on these boards. 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chake

*#7370#, mate. (i.e. chill out)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

if that was @ me then again reconsider, and we ARE NOT MATES for sure. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

let me quote radical24 "NO research on prior to purchase". let  me ask you one simple question, i bought ma phone when it was released whch means i was one of the first ones to get a hand on it. as i had waited for the phone so badly and went thru a hell lot of budgeting to save sme cash to buy the so called flagship piece of junk from nokia. so how do u expect use to do sme research on reviews prior to buying, and considering the marketing advertisemnt that nokia had produced made me feel comfortable that i am spending ma cash on a well made device.

in a way radical24 is write by saying that wew are wasting time on this forum by whining arund, as there is evidence that alot of users are complaining and there is no intervention form nokia. no wonder nokia are lossing the battlefield for smartphone with their poor customer service

rip n97

Please use plain text.
Sage

Please someone tell me - is it true, that Nokia N900 does not have a FM-radio feature?

Please use plain text.
Sage
coopere

[ Edited ]

i have one little question about the n97. does it have multiple desktops like the n900? i've seen and read all hands-on reviews but that was never mentioned. 

Message Edited by coopere on 15-Sep-2009 02:09 PM
everything happens for a reason
check out my blog @ http://mycellife.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

no, n97 does not have multiple desktops. i believe it does NOT have fm radio and no mms capability but that is a fairly easy fix. it is not a phone but first it is a tablet. it can't work voice and data at the same time over 3g just keep this in mind when you are thinking of buying this device. 

there were plenty of reviews of the device prior to release. had people done their research it would not have been so painful to deal with such a device.  

Please use plain text.
Sage
coopere

radical24 wrote:

no, n97 does not have multiple desktops. i believe it does NOT have fm radio and no mms capability but that is a fairly easy fix. it is not a phone but first it is a tablet. it can't work voice and data at the same time over 3g just keep this in mind when you are thinking of buying this device. 

there were plenty of reviews of the device prior to release. had people done their research it would not have been so painful to deal with such a device.  

wow. thanks for clearifying this info. i was unaware of it not having mms, fm radio and voice and data issue.

Please use plain text.
Sage

It does have an FM Transmitter in it though, to send music and such to your radio. I don't why, but in my mind I assumed it had a receiver as well, but now you have asked the question, I don't remember it in any specs I have seen...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

coopere wrote:

radical24 wrote:

wow. thanks for clearifying this info. i was unaware of it not having mms, fm radio and voice and data issue.

you are welcome the DOES NOT have FM radio, MMS, no voice/data at the same time over 3g - all those actually apply to nokia N900 NOT to N97.

N97 does not have the multiple desktop capability. sorry it may have sounded different now that i have re read my post. i hope i set the record straight now  

:smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chake

[ Edited ]

radical24: "there were plenty of reviews of the device prior to release. had people done their research it would not have been so painful to deal with such a device."

Like arvar, I also bought the N97 on Release Day. In fact, I already said that above...

chake: "Syncing, to me is necessary on a "smartphone". I use Mac exclusively and the bitterest pill I've had to swallow is that while my old, sweet N95 synced perfectly with my Macbook, 3 months on (yeah, I bought the N97 on the first day it was available)"

Yeah, I read some of the reviews prior to the release. They mostly focused on the underpowered processor issue...which the Nokia people assured everyone would not be a problem. There was absolutely no indication at all to believe that the N97 would NOT be able to be used with Mac OSX like previous Nokia phones I have owned. That was the point where I joined this forum and began posting...looking for solutions. Presently, we have never had any iSync plug-in for the N97 and though Nokia did release an NMT plug-in a day or two after the release of the phone, the version 12 update broke that. (Photos taken with the phone's camera can no longer be downloaded from the phone to iPhoto.)

Trying to answer magister_r's question, radical24 replies: "i believe it does NOT have fm radio and no mms capability but that is a fairly easy fix. it is not a phone but first it is a tablet."

Well, he did say "I believe.." before trotting out the "it's a tablet not a phone" mantra.

But to answer magister_'s question, here's what's currently posted on Nokia Conversations (a Nokia in-house organ) at:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/08/27/finding-maemo-the-new-nokia-n900/

"This fusion of the Maemo 5 platform and significant processing power is brought to life through the now familiar combo of a high-res WVGA touchscreen and full physical slide-out QWERTY keyboard. It also stomachs 32GB of storage, expandable up to 48GB with a microSD card leg-up, and is home to a 5-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. Plus, other features include A-GPS, an FM transmitter, and up to 9 hours of talk time." (emphasis mine)

So according to Nokia, this smartphone tablet will have an FM transmitter though it doesn't say an FM receiver.

I highlighted the "[Maemo] also stomachs 32GB" metaphor because it's really indicative of what, it turns out, many of the undisclosed unforeseen N97 problems which I and most of the others who post here have had. Look at all the problems people have with Photos, Music, etc., etc. beyond any Mac issues. The N97 can't (presently) handle 32GB of memory. The N97 offered 32GB, a big selling point Nokia used in the lead up to the release. Most "reasonable persons" in the market for a new phone or an alternative to an iPhone were undoubtedly thinking: "32GB - I can load lots of music and lots of photos. Twice as much as the then in June 09 currently configured iPhone offered. I want it." That the N97 keeps freezing, semi-bricking, etc when users try to actually USE the 32GB sold them....

....Well, it's an interesting choice of metaphor by Nokia re: the N900/Maemo...that it can stomach 32GB. The N97 as currently configured can't. Coupled with something else I posted a few weeks ago in another thread here where a Nokia staff mentioned they were changing the way of producing the N97 mini...and well, go back to the first post on this whole thread - page 1 - and have a re-think.

The N97 has a weak stomach for 32 GB and Nokia knew it, knows it and should have known it.

Message Edited by chake on 15-Sep-2009 04:15 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
coopere

radical24 wrote:

coopere wrote:

radical24 wrote:

you are welcome the DOES NOT have FM radio, MMS, no voice/data at the same time over 3g - all those actually apply to nokia N900 NOT to N97.

N97 does not have the multiple desktop capability. sorry it may have sounded different now that i have re read my post. i hope i set the record straight now  

:smileyhappy: 

i know that you were referring to the n900 :smileyhappy: 

i love the n900 for the multiple desktops and the fact that its open source running linux. the n97 has so many bugs, but will hopefully be fixed with the 2.0 firmware coming soon. 

i am looking into getting one of them but looks like i may go for the n97 because of the n900's few shortcomings.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

chake wrote:

radical24: "there were plenty of reviews of the device prior to release. had people done their research it would not have been so painful to deal with such a device."

Like arvar, I also bought the N97 on Release Day. In fact, I already said that above...

chake: "Syncing, to me is necessary on a "smartphone". I use Mac exclusively and the bitterest pill I've had to swallow is that while my old, sweet N95 synced perfectly with my Macbook, 3 months on (yeah, I bought the N97 on the first day it was available)"

Yeah, I read some of the reviews prior to the release. They mostly focused on the underpowered processor issue...which the Nokia people assured everyone would not be a problem. There was absolutely no indication at all to believe that the N97 would NOT be able to be used with Mac OSX like previous Nokia phones I have owned. That was the point where I joined this forum and began posting...looking for solutions. Presently, we have never had any iSync plug-in for the N97 and though Nokia did release an NMT plug-in a day or two after the release of the phone, the version 12 update broke that. (Photos taken with the phone's camera can no longer be downloaded from the phone to iPhoto.)

Trying to answer magister_r's question, radical24 replies: "i believe it does NOT have fm radio and no mms capability but that is a fairly easy fix. it is not a phone but first it is a tablet."

Well, he did say "I believe.." before trotting out the "it's a tablet not a phone" mantra.

But to answer magister_'s question, here's what's currently posted on Nokia Conversations (a Nokia in-house organ) at:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/08/27/finding-maemo-the-new-nokia-n900/

"This fusion of the Maemo 5 platform and significant processing power is brought to life through the now familiar combo of a high-res WVGA touchscreen and full physical slide-out QWERTY keyboard. It also stomachs 32GB of storage, expandable up to 48GB with a microSD card leg-up, and is home to a 5-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. Plus, other features include A-GPS, an FM transmitter, and up to 9 hours of talk time." (emphasis mine)

So according to Nokia, this smartphone tablet will have an FM transmitter though it doesn't say an FM receiver.

I highlighted the "[Maemo] also stomachs 32GB" metaphor because it's really indicative of what, it turns out, many of the undisclosed unforeseen N97 problems which I and most of the others who post here have had. Look at all the problems people have with Photos, Music, etc., etc. beyond any Mac issues. The N97 can't (presently) handle 32GB of memory. The N97 offered 32GB, a big selling point Nokia used in the lead up to the release. Most "reasonable persons" in the market for a new phone or an alternative to an iPhone were undoubtedly thinking: "32GB - I can load lots of music and lots of photos. Twice as much as the then in June 09 currently configured iPhone offered. I want it." That the N97 keeps freezing, semi-bricking, etc when users try to actually USE the 32GB sold them....

....Well, it's an interesting choice of metaphor by Nokia re: the N900/Maemo...that it can stomach 32GB. The N97 as currently configured can't. Coupled with something else I posted a few weeks ago in another thread here where a Nokia staff mentioned they were changing the way of producing the N97 mini...and well, go back to the first post on this whole thread - page 1 - and have a re-think.

The N97 has a weak stomach for 32 GB and Nokia knew it, knows it and should have known it.

Message Edited by chake on 15-Sep-2009 04:15 PM

when are you going to get it in your thick head to leave me out of your rants and spams and rubbish posts that lead nowhere??????? first of all and

SECOND RADICAL IS A WOMAN not a HE. but that is no surprise coming from someone as tunnel visioned as yourself.

believe what you want to believe about N900 if it helps you sleep at night all the power to the idea of a better experience. just don't come crying if you all of a sudden find yourself lost in this whole new device. as clueless as you appear to be i would not be surprised that you would come back and whine about n900 all over again. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

I was just looking at the GSM Arena spec for the N900 and it does say there is a Stereo FM Radio (via third party software) http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-2917.php

I am not saying they are right (as I have not seen this anywhere else) but it is interesting that they added the via third party software bit.....

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Why all the hype for the N900, hands up all the N97 owners who would trust another Nokia flagship phone again..................yep thought so........there wont be many who will part with cash.

When Nokia cant get the N97 to work with an OS they are familiar with and have been using for years, why even consider a new model with a completely new OS?

Who wants to be the next Nokia Beta Testers...........it will only cost you £500 

Please use plain text.