Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 vs. N900

Sage
blueheartz

Re: N97 vs. N900

Well i could only say that if nokia made a good phone than N97 which is N900 (as per users), if nokia also feels the same then why have they unveiled N900 so early after the release of N97? Now many people would go in for N900 and their so called "flagship" N97 could be a failure! People would go for N900 as its almost for same price point. Nokia should have unveiled it after some months. I personally think about it.
Please thank me by giving 'KUDOS' star. It will help me to serve you better.
Currently using N82 and 5230. Next would be N?
Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, N900 is not an easy phone to be using by an average users. N97 was made to be easy to use by a low level and average users. Not everyone would go for N900 just because it is better than N97 but People still go for N97 for a different reason, for people who doesn't use their phone to do something like a pc, then they would go for something simpler. For example, Why would people go for N86 and some still going for N95-8G? because they like the style and how simple it is to use. Beside as for a heavy user like me, I would prefer something more power and grunt to do my day to day schedule.

All is up to people to decide if they want to buy the N900 or they want the N97 because of their own reasons.

2B || !2B N900 1S TH3 F0N3 4 M3
Please Kudos! me. To show your Appreciation
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hahahaah I like it how everyone is so eager to get their hands on the latest and greatest nokia the N900 thinking it will be the answer to their problems the N97.

The N900 has a new OS, its a new phone, its going to come with its own array of problems, just like every phone before it and every phone after it.

Having been using the N97 for the past week and looking on these boards I think about 60% of the problems with the N97 is down to the user not understanding the phone. For example I have heard no end of people complain about their N97 being slow and in many of the cases its been down to having several applications runing in the background. I myself was in town and the phone rang, so I tried to answer it by pressing on the green arrow going across the screen, I missed the call and my blood was boiling. Then later on I learn that you have to swipe the arrow, not press it. I've been **bleep** off all week with the screen switching off after 60 seconds and having to press the slider switch to reenable the touch screen, well I was going through the settings last night and found that I can increase the time it takes the touch screen to disable to something else like 5 mins, so now I dont have to keep working the slider.

Its these little things that have been making me mad about the N97

The remaining 40% of problems in the N97 seem to be a combination of hardware faults and poor softawre/OS bugs

I think a really good update from Nokia could put the N97 back on a firm footing, no, sorry, I will rephrase, it could put the N97 on a firm footing.

Please use plain text.
Sage

,Well i dont have  a Nokia N97 lol so and i dont want to buy N97 either. I want N900. Whether it is NEW and could be buggy, But I like the features it got inside it. And most importantly it use DEBIAN base OS :smileyvery-happy: I LIKE.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I was just watching a review on the N900, theres a feature where you can move your finger in a circular motion to zoom in and out, the guy doing the review was really struggling to get it to work
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cesarcesar

kogg wrote:
I was just watching a review on the N900, theres a feature where you can move your finger in a circular motion to zoom in and out, the guy doing the review was really struggling to get it to work

I seen this too. i think it justsomething you have to get used to doing to do right. this si the same with the keyboards. they never feel right or seem to be able to type right to you have been doing it a week or so. then you do it perfectly everytime. the 900 will be slick i think. but noslick enough to catch me on the first day this time. im gonna wait a month after its released to hear what the complaints are first.

CesarCesar
LOVE my 5700 ExpressMusic, HATED my N97, Salivating for a N900
Like my post? Kudo me Please!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buxi07

I THINK N97 IS THE BETTER PHONE ONCE THESE OF PROBLEM SOLVED THEN IT WILL BE A PERFECT PHONE AND WE SHOULD WAIT FOR FIRMWARE 2.0 BECAUSE IT REALLY ENERGIZES N97 ON THE OTHER HAND N900 HAS SOME DREWBACKS WHICH IS MMS AND AUTO ROTATE ACCELARATOR U CANT USE UR PHONE ALL THE TIME IN HORIZONTAL MODE AND NO MMS CAN U BELIVE IT CAN U CALL IT FLAGSHIP DEVICE.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Of course, the 1st phone running Maemo won't be perfect, 100% bug-free and complete with every feature that anyone could possibly want.  But...Maemo has been around on Nokia internet tablets since 2005 and it's a fairly well tested OS, except for the new phone-only parts. 

Don't you think there must be some very good reasons Nokia has said that Maemo will replace Symbian on their future top-of-the-line smartphones?  That's not a small change for them to make.  It means they have a lot riding on Maemo being top-quality for their top-hardware and so must have a lot of confidence in it.

I expect the N900/Maemo to be at least pretty good out of the box, maybe very, very good.  I'm confident enough in that to have put my money on one.

Registered Linux user #266531. N900 addict.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Nokia N900 won from the start line to the finish line.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

you will come crying and frustrated all the same with n900. and its release date got pushed back....i wonder why....don't hold your breath....it does not have the phone behavior that you would excpect...make sure that you understand how n900 will function and behave prior to purchase....i for once am going to stand back and just wait and see how good n900 tablet really is...and then maybe buy it but certainly not for the first few months......
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Just seen some info suggesting it won't support line-2 or ALS.. something Nokia phones have supported (though the support is often disabled) since at least 2000.. that *REALLY* sucks as I won't be able to use it as my primary phone..

I've got to find out if I can tether it to my N97 via bluetooth for internet access, then I can use it like I do my N810..

Shame, though.. I guess (in order) MMS, larger battery life, video calls then ALS are features many people will want.. as a phone, the N900 is a little bit wide of the mark.. However, as a new tablet, I'm still keen to get one to upgrade my N810..

Shame.. its just not for everyone..

Please use plain text.
Sage

I know exactly what N900 can do :smileyvery-happy: I love Linux. I don't really mind in the Phone functionality, Just as long it has Call, and SMS :smileyvery-happy: i don't care about MMS, but it does have MMS later then it's a plus. But not essential. This will be a big upgrade for me from my N95. And it can also replace my PS3 YDL6.2 when i'm not at home. Which meant I can keep my Linux Skill active all the time. And that is another plus.

Battery's life is on iit seem to be very reasonable. Full 1day when actively online. But I'm not going to be online all the time. Mostly Multi-tasking. lol. I just hope it last me 12hours each day with my usage. And as for call time 6hours on 3G is pretty good. Since I always turned it off to save my battery lol. 9hours of call time with GSM. That is fine with me. I'm not going to talk a whole 9hours.

All I want is N900 to have a full community support. Where you can download alot of software and emulations, may be N900 possibly be able to use Windows Emulator :smileyvery-happy: I would put WIN98SE on it.

Please use plain text.

Does anybody know how to upgrade ovi contacts when memory is full.. This **bleep** phone won't let me upgrade because there are not enough memory.. and i can't delete anything more one the phone either...
Please use plain text.

hye, just want to share with all of the N97 users in this world… since N97 be one of my powerful & brutally expensive device, there are many people still unsatisfied with this device although Nokia lauch a new firmware for this device. maybe, i can guarantee that people still not satisfied of this gadget although Nokia launch a new update than V20. the main issue that make people become unsatisfied not just from its unstable@**bleep** firmware, BUT its inside component… can’t nokia do something that can upgrade this component for this device as example upgrade its ram from 128 to 256. change its processor…or another way is to change the main board for this device. i’m sure there will a way for nokia to upgrade this device free for its customer. don’t just focus on its firmware but think about its firmware… if nokia can do this upgrade. i’m guarantee that unhappier customer will cheer up again with Nokia & make nokia the first choice for them…now & forever… anyone that have an idea to share…c’mon share it together. anyway i’m still happy with my phone. thanx for ur time to read this post. tq again. here some vid to watch…sincerely comment from the user..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imuEAzsymI&feature=related

Please use plain text.
Contributor
remontoire

I mean, really? This is childish.. Its like buying a Daewoo and complaining about how the manufacturer shoulda put in a turbo. Phones aren't lego blocks u can pull apart and remake into something completely different on a whim, it takes a lot of work to get one 'o these puppies up and running and in production. When you buy a phone, just like when u buy a car, u check out the specs and if it tickles ur fancy (or any other part of u), buy it! If a better car comes out the next week, remember U chose to buy the one ur driving, U the consumer made that choice. Ranting on at the manufacturer coz of ur feelings of inadequacy over not having the biggest RAM or on board memory sounds like ur seriously compensating for something. Short sightedness maybe? Watever... I got an E71, not the best phone in the world but theres ALWAYS gonna be something better 'round the corner n quite frankly 'best in the world' is subjective to what u use it for. I like the N900 coz i like Linux - its quick, hardly crashes and easy to use. Also u've got all the functionality of a netbook without the bulk n ur connected 24/7.

Yippee kai yay, motorfinger.

N97? great phone, fantastic features.. buggy? Sure! But like Windows, its gets better with every update. Its U, the consumers choice as to whether u buy a product as soon as it hits the shelves (again, inadequacy compensation or 'look @ me!' syndrome, u pick) or wait n see how it turns out and for the bugs to be ironed out.

Personally, i'ma stickin' to my e sevantiwan for a bit... C how d whole N900 thing shakes out b4 throwing hard earned cash on d table. If it lives up to its hype, well.....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I dont get where everyone is complaining about. When reading the specs everyone could have know that the n97 would be a disaster. Frankly i even warned consumers on this forum for what is happening just now!

But just before release everyone told me i was crazy and shouldn't judge about a phone i didn't know anything about.

Now reading all the complaints about all the things i allready warned for before release i think its kinda funny.

Please use plain text.
Sage

>> N900 is not capable of making calls and internet over 3g at the same time. so this is for sure not a phone for everyone.

Is that true? Does it mean if I'm surfing web on it and someone calls me I won't be able to answer??
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

It may be true, but it doesn't mean people won't be able to call you. Worst case, the phone will temporarily disconnect from the 3g internet and reconnect when the voice call is over..

Voice calls always interrupt data connections, I think that's the rule of thumb.. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Ah, that not too bad then.

Still I won't consider buying N900 just because I don't trust Nokia anymore. As someone already said, they couldn't fix N97 with Symbian, a well known OS backed by Nokia. How can we trust that they will release a bug free phone with a brand new OS??

Nokia probably jumped on touchscreen bandwagon too early just to counteract Apple/HTC etc. without making proper R&D.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

movilogo wrote:
Ah, that not too bad then.

Still I won't consider buying N900 just because I don't trust Nokia anymore. As someone already said, they couldn't fix N97 with Symbian, a well known OS backed by Nokia. How can we trust that they will release a bug free phone with a brand new OS??

you'd be mad to think the n900 won't have bugs at launch, but you've also not researched how they track the bugs and how quickly they get rectified.. It's more like a linux distribution.. updates are far far more frequent and don't require a complete OS update to fix a typo in a menu.. The development of Maemo is far faster than Symbian and the previous 3 tablet devices have shown this

Nokia probably jumped on touchscreen bandwagon too early just to counteract Apple/HTC etc. without making proper R&D.

Back in 2004 with the launch of the Nokia 7710.. Touch screen (landscape format) device.. had a 640x320 screen.. Only beaten by the E90, 5800 and N97.. 

It was Symbian based, running S90 (which later got rebranded as Series 7710)

That phone was truely awesome.. If Nokia had carried on developing it, they would've been miles ahead.. but it got dropped.. apparently people weren't ready for a super high res (that res was ahead of the competition for years!) device with all the benefits of the S80 communicator wrapped up with an awesome screen..

Nokia didn't jump off the bandwagon, they practically started it, then Immediately fell of for 4 years then crawled back with the 5800 that really wasn't that great!

Don't forget, the 5800 wasn't the first, second or third Nokia touch screen device.. it was the 4th.. 

(7700, 7710, that Asian UIQ based rebranded BenQ thing all came first)

Please use plain text.