Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 will not turn on properly

Contributor

N97 will not turn on properly

When I turn my N97 on it remains on the white screen with the nokia logo. It will not boot and it will not turn off again. It remains unresponsive until the battery runs out or is removed. When this happens it turns off, obviously. I charge the phone and the same thing happens. I have tried removing the sim card, sd card, and battery. Plugging it into a charger, into a computer via usb. Nothing. I cannot input a code because I cannot access the dialer. Can anyone help me here?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N97 will not turn on properly

Mine did this one time. The solution take the battery out, take the microSD out and take out the SIM card. Wipe your contacts on the microSD and SIM for good measure and reinstall. Mine came back to life and has never faltered since.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97er

I have the exact same problem. It was working fine yesterday night, turned it off. This morning went to turn it on and all I got was a white screen with the Nokia logo just stuck there.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

since there is no official' 3 finger salute' - hard reset yet for n97 that we know of, your only choice if your phone gets bricked is to take it to nokia care. you can try all suggested solutions, ideas by other users taking the batt out and sim and micro sd....and any such combination but if that does not work your only option is nokia care 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

As I have state I removed these three things. I did not clean them last time. This time I did, and still, the phone is doing the same thing. I'm sure it worked for you. Thanks for the tip but it looks like I may have to take this into a care point if I don't get a solution swiftly. Good thing there's one close by.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97er

Unfortuantly that didnt work, I tried using differant sim card and memory cards still the same. Can't understand why it would be doing this
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Just took it into my local care center. The woman I spoke to told me that if it's a software fault (which I'm almost certain it is) it will be formatted and have the firmware reinstalled. However, if it's hardware, apparently the warranty does not cover it. I'm not sure if this is because I purchased it from HK or if this is the case with all N97s. Anyway, I'm fairly sure it will be fixed with a reformat. When I get the phone back (in 3-5 work days) I'll post the results.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Please I need help I have the same problem, Icannot tour on the device again....if someone have a solution please tell me!!!

Kind Regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok. So got the phone back today. They couldn't fix it. I'm going to send it back to the seller in hong kong. They will probably have to replace the hardware. According to the girl I spoke to at the Nokia Care Center, the phone got into the state it is now in because it's from hong kong and it tried to update with australian firmware. Anyway - I'll send it to HK and post what happens from that.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I sent the phone back to the seller in hong kong. They had their technician have a look at it. Apparently they had no issues with the phone. According to them it turned on, booted properly, and they could even get it to make a call. I got them to flash format the phone and install the new firmware. Since getting the phone back I have had no dramas. I have absolutely no idea what the problem was, but it's gone now.

I hope those of you who have also had trouble with your N97s get it sorted out. The rest of you, thanks for your advice.

Simon.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Hi, guys, I have the same problem but when it happen all I have to do it just pug my phone using USB cable connect to PC and click on Ovi Suite, took the battery out and put it back in and turn is on waist little bite it will boot if not try to take out the battery again and turn it on untill it boot, I already contact the Nokia care I will sent my in to let them check it out because it get annoing.
Message Edited by tovie1879 on 22-Aug-2009 05:17 PM
Please use plain text.

ei guys..i got the same problem just today. i was so furiouson what I did wrong.. tovie, i tried ur solution but i had no luck...hope it u guys can help me..please..:smileysad:(
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

If everything else failed, you'll have to do a hard-reset (you will loose all your settings and apps installed to the C: drive.

Keep pressed SHIFT + SPACE + BACKSPACE keys while pressing briefly (until vibrates) the POWER button. Keep the 3 keyboard keys pressed until you hear the booting melody.

In the last 5 days I have to do this 4 or 5 times (so it is buried in my memory, LOL) I hope you have to do it fewer times !!

Good luck !!

Alberto

BTW: For crossed-diagnosing purposes, Could you tell me the model and firmware you have (you could get it typing *#0000# on the dialpad) I'm interested in the RM-??? and Firmware rev data. -- Thanks

Message Edited by marlboro35 on 22-Aug-2009 08:35 PM
Nokia - "Connecting people" making them to support themselves after wasting USD800+ on a inflatable dinghy "Flagship" :-(

PS: DON'T EDIT MY SIGNATURE PLEASE !!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
phxpx

I had this same as everyone else and used the hard reset,it works well and it didn't happened for one month yet.

I love hard reset option:smileyvery-happy:

n97 (RM-505)user.
Please use plain text.

wow...the hard reset work thanks guys......

but..how come  some of my videos don't show in Videos and TV, but if I check the mass storage using my pc..i can see those videos.

Also, messaging loads very slow...

any suggestions guys?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

is there a solution? I don't like to format my phone... tree times in a month...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

reformatting is your solution for now. it is kind of like cleaning up your computer so it can run smooth and faster and bug free. it is a part of life with smartphones these days. it is good for the phone as long as you don't reformat mass memory too often or memory card you will be ok. i know its a pain in the b.....ttt but for many things it is the only way to go.  

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I'd like to know how n97 doesn't turn on properly...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Otoday it locks itself again.Is there a solution or I have to format every time? thank you
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi alberto i just wanted 2 thank you for suggesting the hard reset it worked! I must say im very dissapointed with my n97 its a shame its experiencing so many problems i cant wait to get rid of it ive had enough of it freezing up on me! But thank Goodness for places like this where people are able to offer help to each other because god knows it feels like it requires the efforts of many just to get the phone running! Thank you again!
Please use plain text.