Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 wlan issue

N97 wlan issue

I have a WLAN at home, my n97 recognizes it, but it works just for 10 seconds. It just loads websites at the very beginning of the connection, then it stops working, and i get a message related to "gateway".

The network is now accessed by 2 notebooks, every single day, so I have no clue why it isn't working.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.

Hi, just read your thread and had similar problems myself the other day after updating the firmware. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but after switching off the phone, removing the battery for about 1 minute, putting it back in and restarting the device, I can now surf the web via my wi-fi router at home again.

By coincidence, I mean that between having WLAN problems and not having WLAN problems, the router had been switched off over-night and so had been re-set. However, when I was having problems with surfing on my phone, there were no such problems with my home computer.

Hope this might help, as others on the web have found pulling the battery has cured problems. After a firmware update, the device probably requires a full hard re-boot.

Please use plain text.
Professor
au_n97_user

I had that problem when I tried to connect my N80 (so I would be all prepared when my N97 arrived, you see).  I won't bore you with the 1.5 hours spent on the phone to the ISP.

End solution was I turned the router off, left it sit for about 5 minutes, turned it on - and bingo - I have had a trouble free connection ever since.

When I got the N97, hooked up without a problem.

So Hugorune - that's two of us.

Please use plain text.

Hi au_n97_user,

It was a bit of a worrying moment for me after updating the firmware and losing my wi-fi surfing, which was fine before. I will need it as my Vodafone 'unlimited internet' apparently only means a fair use policy of 500MB/month (after speaking to their call centre about something else). As I don't stream things that might be ok but with all the bits and bobs that could be pulling down data via the WAP network, I don't wish to to accidently exceed that limit. So I've switched of WAP access and only use it when required.

My phone for the last 3 or so years was the 9300i which I found to be an excellent phone. I miss its wonderful keyboard and great little joystick. The N97 keyboard works better after the firmware update but I wish the 'joystick' was not on the left. At least I won't have friends and colleagues wondering why I'm still carrying around a 'brick' of a phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi All

I cannot even get onto my home wi-fi. It asks me for a WEP key for WLAN.

The only thing I can think to put in is the key written on the back of the router, but that doesn't work.

I have no, and have never been given, any other form of key code etc for my wireless. I just plugged it in, put in the password that Virgin Media sent me (which I also unsuccessfully tried to insert into my phone) and it worked.

Anyone got any ideas what the hell I'm supposed to do here?

This seems to be another in the long list of glitches in my phone.

Please use plain text.

hugorune,

I'll try that later.

After some searching, I tried a solution that worked, but I didn't like it.

At first, I tried changing the type of encryption of my WLAN, which was originally WPA 2, I guess. Didn't work. I tried changing every possible parameter in phone settings, and only one worked: "energy saving" or "power management" or something related (my menu is not in English). That really worked, and when I opened the help menu for that item, it says something like this: "WLAN do not support power management on portable devices" (sorry, I'm not with my phone right now).

It worked, but it runs out of battery in about 1 hour.

Now I'm using another router at home (my first one was a D-Link, and the current is a Huawei), and it worked well during the first night, without having to disable that energy saving stuff. But in the next morning, it all went wrong.

As I googled for a solution, I realized that it's not only a n97 problem, and apparently doesn't have a final solution (even disabling power saving doesn't work for everybody).

But that's it. I already had upgraded the firmware, and I'll try this hard boot.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Hi buggedboy

Apologies if you are already aware of this but the WEP key (or network key as my ISP, Sky Broadband, call it) is the 'password' used by the wireless router to prevent others accessing and using your wireless internet connection. Mine was provided for me by my ISP, on a card, with the router. It is obviously then a good idea to change it. I'm surprised it was not supplied by Virgin Media.

The only other way I know of to find it and to change it, is to log into your router and view the relevant setting. Sky Broadband have a generic user name and login (which a colleague found out for me) that allows me to log into the router and change the router settings, including the WEP key. Again I have changed this as I am paranoid.

I can access my router login screen via my McAfee Security software. You should also be able to find the router login by finding its IP address. The way I did this before having McAfee was to take the following steps (supplied by the same colleague):

Go to www.grc.com/intro and click on the large ShieldsUp! graphic

Scroll down to the Hot Spots section and click on ShieldsUp! (this is used to test the security of your ports)

Click 'Proceed'

Click 'All Service Ports' on the silver bar

It will then start testing the integrity of your ports. On this page you should see 'Under Your Computer at IP:'. Below this will be a DNS number. Copy and paste just this number into your web browser, as you would a web page, and click the 'go to' arrow. Hopefully this will bring up the router login screen. Virgin should hopefully be able to provide you with the login details to get access and you should see the WEP key under one of the menus.

Please take this under advisement as changing the settings in your router could cause problems if you end locking yourself out of it. I have not had any problems doing this with my NetGear router.

I'd be interested to know if this helps.

Message Edited by hugorune on 22-Jul-2009 06:43 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

cheers for that.

I found out how to work it, flukely adding virgin to my original passwrd that they sent me. Seemed to do the trick for some reason.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi, I have the same problem before.

Prior to the problem of gateway error, packet error or losing signal, I have no problem using the same router and same phone in another building. After I moved house, using the same router and same phone, I had problem connecting to the router. But the problem appeared to be isolated to some phones only. Some phones and notebooks had no such problem.

After consulting with friends, I was told to change the frequency channel on the router via the PC. This is probably due to other similar frequencies operating nearby, theeby affecting my router signal to some phones.

So I checked my PC and found that it was set to channel 6, and channel 11 was available but not selected.

Then I selected channel 11.

Bingo, now all phones are able to connect to the router, and the notebooks continue to function as per earlier connection.

Therefore I learn that changing frequency channel on the router can help me, and maybe some of you can try this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

WLAN

heya, can anyone tell me how WLAN works? Is it the same like Wireless? thnx :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ezamkfcr

Hi, i'm currently having the same problem whereby my N97 can't even find my home access point while at the same time i have no problem connecting to the access point using my E71. I have try resetting my N97 but still the problem persist. then i try changing the frequency of the router via PC and still the same.

I only have this problem with my home Wifi but no problem with any other Wifi. Any idea guys what else can i do to resolve this problem?

Please use plain text.
Sage

I did also have that issue, after update of firmware of my N97 mini.

Solution for me is to disable Bluetooth while using WLAN.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nithinhotker

N97 wlan issue

can anyone tell me whts the issue with my WLAN

when everytime i connect to it it shows the error message like "INVALID SERVER NAME"

anyone faced the same problem ???

plz help me out guys

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Try changing the channel of the router, via the PC.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Instead of manually setting up WLAN, use the scan WLAN and select the needed router name, then input the password.
Please use plain text.