Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: NOKIA MODERATORS ONLY

Professor
malange007

NOKIA MODERATORS ONLY

[ Edited ]

Dear concerned people,

I have been a very loyal nokia user for a very long time. Loved all your products and they were brilliant to an extent. I started using the E series phones because the were straight forward and focused towards practicality. 

Everything changed when I bought the E7.

The symbian 3 had issues the most shining one was the battery life.

The Anna was comparatively better, had practical widgets and adequate applications.

The belle. You guys messed it up. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR BUSINESS PHONES LINE>

In all honesty, fine belle is very shinny, glowy and pretty. But who wants a pretty business phone. Who in their right mind would want widgets that  cover the entire screen. I am amazed with the depth of my heart that who clears the final release of your firmware's. You forgot email notification . ARE PEOPLE INSANE>???? Everything runs on emails now and you just gave a bell that too rings only in certain conditions. For your information most serious smartphone users keep it on vibration and there goes your email alert.

You guys really have messed up big time. BIG TIME. Belle is good for kids and teens phones. But not for people who use phones to get things done. I am seriously amaaaaazed at your software department guys. No counter checks no checklists ???? I mean seriously who misses out all the basic stuff?

Blackberry is boring as hell all black and white and text. You know why it sells, because it gets the job done. No matter how boring still it gets things done. Its not meant for kids its meant for serious users. Yet still they own the market. 

You guys should seriously look into this shortfall in the company. The software department is terrrrrible.Its really sad to see such a terrible thing happen to a Flagship holder in the industry of cell phones. 

I hope this is read by someone who is concerened with software department or some senior official so some change happens. Other wise you will just be losing customers. 

Join my movement to bring a change in NOKIA for good by supporting my FORUM
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/NOKIA-MODERATORS-ONLY/td-p/1318965
Please use plain text.
Sage
mustan111

Agree.. with all my heart.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry that you are less than pleased with the latest update to your Nokia E7, but perhaps could be more specific about how the widgets and mail are "messed up"?

The only widgets that I've noticed to be significantly larger than before are the music player and e-mail widgets, and many customers have been asking for the e-mail widget to be larger, clearer and more informative.

Additionally, any item in the menu can be made into a small homescreen short-cut which you can arrange on the screen however you please, greatly increasing the homescreen flexibility - something else that responds to feedback received from Nokia's customers:

To do this, simply press and hold the icon in the menu, then select "Add to homescreen" from the pop-up menu. To arrange widgets and icons in your home screen, press and hold the desired item until the homescreen wallpaper darkens, then drag to your preferred location in the homescreen. You can also move icons between homescreens simply by dragging them to the left or right edge.

You can also have up to six homescreens, double the number under Anna.

On the N8 device that I am using as a test device, I find that the mail notifications are working as before using my Mail for Exchange account, could you also give more information about where you are having problems?

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
krishgetz

Michaels-: Thanks for posting a reply on Belle. I too face no problems from the email client and it works as in Anna.

The problem I face though is with calendars showing only one item. I store a lot of to-do's and meetings on my calendar; and need to see as much as possible at a glance.

That functionality has been taken away from Belle; with only 1 item being shown and I always have to go into the calendar to check them out.

I agree; its not a deal breaker; but it certainly is in-convienient and a de-grade from the Anna Calendar. I also dont see a Calendar in the widgets; so in case I wanted to add a calendar again to another homescreem; its not possible.

I would have like the drop-down to also note the calendar items; since it'll be ver handy. Something that the iphone has done; but I find it nice.

The drop-down can actually be used for a lot more; and I hope those will come in future upgrades; if any.
Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

Hello Michaels,

Thankful for your concern and reply. Really happy that you moved my post back in here. I will go step by step on things that need to be addressed.

1. Nokia started the E series phones for people who had professional needs from phones. The people who used phones to get things done in the most practical and professional way. They were builtin with software's and elements that other nokia phones didn't have. They had a simplistic approach to the interface and a slick and faster response to the basic needs of a professional and business user.  They are not meant for people who want to listen to music and watch videos all day long with fancy widgets and all that. The N series came into existence for that user lot. 

2. FIrst of all giving belle to E series was a mistake. I am sure most will not agree with me but it is. Reason being that the novelty of E series is gone with it. If your software development guys couldn't make a new or separate oS for the E series then they should just have tweaked up Anna a little more and should have made it more responsive and faster. Instead of giving this GLOSSSY AND FUNKY new belle update. This update is really cute and sweet but for teenagers and kids. Not for professionals. Two big lumps are your digital clock on the main homescreen I mean comeon. ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS. E 7 is a professional communicator phone not a 17 year olds play toy. This is just the start of it.

3. Talking about the email widgets. I have 5 email accounts that I have to manage. Now you expect me to put on three homescreens just dedicated to that. I would ask you the same question ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS???  Plus what's with the all the widgets being so round and so white, no option to make them dark or small. I seriously am amazed who is running your software department. The guy is a champ.

4. Have you ever wondered why iphones and blackberries have still a strong hold in the market. I am not asking you guys to copy them or anything but have you ever thought about it???? Because they don't ruin their OS by bringing funny non professional mod's into the OS. IOS on the iphone has been exactly the same since I phone came out. Everytime with every upgrade they just make it faster and more responsive and reliable. They don't mess up the system and same goes for the BB. 

Seriously guys you all should sit down and think your strategies. You people are now just pushing people away from nokia. I bought e7 with symbian 3. Which was simple and basic and that's what I paid for sure it had its glitches which I thought would get better with upgrades. But now I don't know what I paid for. Not belle.

Put some serious thinking into this matter Michaels. I have been using nokia for more than a decade. Its sad to see such an amazing company going down.

P.S. Funny thing that I would like to share  a few days back I bought a nokia asha 200 ... Even such a basic configuration phone which is not even 1/4 the the price of e7 has basic notifications and BRAVO belle forgot them. Sad day for nokia when belle came out. And yeah before i forget, there is a massive glitch in the unlock screen too. When you press the home button the screen lights up. The screen should only unlock when you hit the unlock button, but as the belle is so well made, you just hit any area around the unlock button and whola the screen is unlocked.

And one more thing, my humble request to your nokia forum admin and to you too sir. If your moderating the E series section then use an e series phone to check out the belle. Because e series problems aren't solved with the N series user experience. 

Thanks once again for your concern.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/NOKIA-MODERATORS-ONLY/td-p/1318965
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

malange007 wrote:

4. Have you ever wondered why iphones and blackberries have still a strong hold in the market.

BlackBerry marketshare/use is declining (less rapidly than Symbian's, but still clearly declining), so its stronghold is getting to be rather much weaker of late:

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Screen-Shot-2012-02-21-at-2-21-3.04.58-PM.png

http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/21/the-opportunity-cost-of-windows-phone/

iPhone remains strong, and Android. The biggest difference is that Android is more fragmented (several manufacturers and a couple of hundred models vs. Apple as a single manufacturer with a couple of models which do not vary much).

Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

:smileyhappy: symbian.. there is no more symbian... and i am not concerned with models its the operating system in discussion... may i remind you not talking about android :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

Dear Mr. Michael S,
I am personally very happy to finally see an official response to the complaints about Belle.
I honestly appreciate the time you took to reply and hope that you will continue the discussions with us.
Getting to the main subject, I must mention that in my opinion, Belle is more of a downgrade from Anna.
I like the improved performance and some aspects of it, but a lot of productivity has been lost.
- RSS widgets are gone
- maximum 2 e-mail widgets can be used on the same screen. In Anna you could have 6. Now you need 3 screens for 6 e-mails (all the extra ones compared to Anna). I understand some might like the big widget, but why not offer them both?
- cannot create a folder inside a folder. I understand you are trying to make things simpler but what harm was there in allowing more folders? It is a lot harder to organize your phone like this.
- Calendar widget shows only 1 entry. This widget was very useful in Anna by being compact and showing more entries. Why not offer both?
- Clock widget is immense and useless. As opposed, the one in Anna was great by being compact and allowing quick access to the calendar and profile selection. Why not offer both?
- No more "widgets to offline mode" option for home screens. This was a very useful option in Anna for controlling the widgets.
- No more "remote drive" option. No need to comment here. Why would you remove that?

In other words, it is upsetting for users when they trust an update to be better and they realize they are stuck with more problems than before.
The key here is providing options and keeping things compact and functional. If some users want bigger and flashier things, they should just have the option to switch to that. But, please do not change things completely and promote it as a new standard.

Eagerly looking forward to your reply.
At least let us know if these issues are taken into consideration.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

And one more thing...
The Notifications widget is gone. I understand the pull down status bar is the new approach, but why not leave the option of having the widget?
Pop-up messages are a lot worse and definitely a step back from the notifications widget.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

Where do we start with e-mail? In a nutshell Symbian^1's worked, Symbian^3's is broken.

There are two problems, notification and polling. Starting with notification...

1. The only e-mail notification is a sound or a vibration. If you have a silent or beep profile then you can miss it. If you have another profile it could be drowned out by background noise.

2. Screen savers don't notify e-mails. No @ icon as with Symbian^1 and no flashing breathing light (which incidently is covered if you've got the official silicon cover).

3. Belle's notification bar doesn't notify e-mails. No @ icon.

So I have to unlock the phone to see if I've got e-mails if I've been away from the phone, been carrying it in my coat pocket, or left it in my coat pocket which I've left hung up somewhere, or if I'm in an office if I hear an e-mail sound I'm not sure if it was mine or someone else's or I'm at home and I've left it in one room I can't come back in and glance at the phone to see if I've got an e-mail.

I've got four accounts however each mail widget takes up half a screen. Whereas at least with Anna I could squeeze four mail widgets in one screen, with Belle I have to unlock the phone, swipe to get to the first homescreen with the first mail widget, then swipe to the rest of the home screens with the rest of the widgets before finally being able to lock the phone again.

Now onto polling. The only kind of e-mail account I've known to reliably work is Exchange Activesync with constant connection which hammers the battery. If I use e.g. POP3/IMAP with polling every 15 minutes it doesn't poll if there's no wifi/mobile data connection already set up (i.e. I'm not using Opera at the same time or I've not got my Exchange account on a constant conenction).

Watching Belle's notification bar when there's no connection already set up I can see that data connection symbol under the antenna/3G icon appears then disappears, it's as if the poller times out after such a short time that there's not even enough time to establish a mobile data connection.

This still happens after the nth reset.

No, I don't accept Ovi's terms and conditions when setting up the account, it's not a proper fix for a buggy e-mail poller on the client.

I waited until Belle came out convinced that the e-mail problems would be fixed but they're just the same as in Anna only with bigger widgets.

I'm now using ProfiMail which doesn't notify properly either as it's limited by Belle when it comes to notifications but at least it polls.It's amazing that what worked perfectly well on Symbian^1 was just thrown out. If e-mail polling and notification isn't fixed in Carla then I can only assume that Nokia's completely lost its way in what's important to its customers.

Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

i am not sure we are going to get Carla on these phones. I think belle is the end for this line.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

If they don't push out a lightweight Carla update for the current Symbian^3 phones, like the lightweight version of Belle for the 500, or don't at least push out an e-mail fix I think a great many people will move to a phone platform which can poll and notify (i.e. iPhone/BlackBerry/Android). I will be one of them.

Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

Dan my man your not the only one. E7 is my last nokia.... Something has gone wrong in their top management. Not the same quality no more reliance. Wish they just take notice and bring changes immediately
Please use plain text.
Contributor
blanebf

[ Edited ]

@Dan555

You can't imagine how inconvenient using email on E6 has become. At least you can squeeze 2 email widgets into one screen on your phone. On E6 you can have only ONE (!!) email widget taking almost ALL (!!) screen space (leaving space for only two shortcut widgets). And it displays only three emails at time (yes, I know you can swipe through your mailbox with it, but why would I want to do it on the homescreen?). Whole screen just to see 3 emails on one mailbox. I would like to know who thought this was a good idea. And add to this no sane way of getting email notifications.

It's like nokia on purpose tried to make email communication with belle as painful as possible.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mappo82

Dear Mr Michaels

did you or whoever else at Nokia tried BELLE on E6-00, before releasing it??

I would like you to try Belle on Nokia E6-00, which is the phone I own. The phone that once was supposed to be a business for.

Please, seriously: DON'T tell me that OS BELLE is nice, just using a N8 or whatever large-screened you have. You provided E6 users with the same OS but you missed the fact this is a smaller display phone!

I am here asking you and Nokia Software developers to release a  d.e.d.i.c.a.t.e.d  Belle update for small-displayed E6. Please, consider what other E6 users wrote on these pages.

We E6 users are a DIFFERENT category, we need your consideration.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

agree
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

[ Edited ]

For two whole weeks I have really tried to like Belle, and I have found many workarounds for issues, mainly thanks to people on this forum.

But it still infuriates me day in day out that some crucial stuff is missing (remote drive, email folders, compact & informative widgets) and that Belle is overall much less quick and easy to use compared to Anna.

It is completely beyond me that anyone in his or her right mind, would ever reduce the web browser screen size on the E6. Wifi is a pain in the ***. Widgets, need no mention. Camera & photo viewer: new layout not practical, photo viewer is infuriatingly difficult to operate. Still miss D-pad navigation through shortcuts on homescreen. Removed all shortcuts to avoid returning to old habits.

Many around me have gleaming iStuff or Googlestuff with cool funky apps, lots of fun things and sound and video. Others have Boring Business phones because they have no interest in all that or time for it. When I bought it the E6 was the perfect Boring Business Apparatus that integrated phone, email, SMS, internet, calendar, navigation and camera, with a nice keyboard and D-pad. But now with Belle, the E6 *looks* groovy, but it supports nearly none of the cool funky apps, so what use is that look? And did anyone at Nokia actually test Belle on the E6 before it went live? If it was tested, did they test specific E6-use-cases or just the same set of test scenario as for the N8?

So Nokia: next time (if there will be one): have software tested by people who actually use it in daily life. With everyday test sets of the usual common, uninteresting things that work phones like an E6 are used for. Listening to customers is a good first step, but you guys/gals really have to act.

Current N900 and former E6 user regretting Belle upgrade
--
Devices owned: 2110, 2110i, Cellular Data Card, 8110, 7110, 6210, 6310i, 6100, 9500, 6233, 5140i, 3109c, N900, E6-00
Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

we are waiting for your reply michaels
Please use plain text.
Professor
malange007

Dear MODERATORs,
We all are dearly waiting for your reply and answers ......... Hope to hear from you guys soon
Please use plain text.
Contributor
blanebf

[ Edited ]

@malange007

[sarcasm] E6 was mentioned in the thread, now you won't get any answers. Nokia badly wants to forget that they ever released that phone with small screen and non-standard resolution. [/sarcasm]

On more serious note, it would be really nice to hear that our complaints and feedback isn't wasted and the issues users are facing will be addressed soon.

And I don't even see Belle as a failure. There a lot o things that I like about it. I was almost able to tweak it to my liking. For example, I've replaced default calendar widget with BizCalendar widget. It's smaller and it displays more info.

But some issues just don't have a work around. For example, email. It was already mentioned by me and other users in this thread. What i find odd is that IM client from Nokia displays notifications in the top bar, but email doesn't. Why? And IM client isn't even installed by default. Where's compact versions of most of the widgets? Why provide freesized widget feature, but ship widgets in only one size? 

Please use plain text.