Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

NOKIA N8 "CLAIMED" WATER INGRESSION...WILL NOT FIX...

Sage
brang1
Accepted Solution

NOKIA N8 "CLAIMED" WATER INGRESSION...WILL NOT FIX OR REPLACE

Over the last few weeks i have been going through a intense trial of trying to get help from Nokia over my phone. I originally took my handset in because i believed it had software problems, ie: constantly re-booting and finally would not turn on at all. To my surprise, when i went to retrieve my phone, i were told, the phone was dead due to water ingression. Now, this is when i arced up! My phone was and still is in pristine condition, it has never ever been subjected to moisture in any way. it has always been protected in a cse, evident by the perfect carriage and screen, and never left anywhere it could get close to moisture. This fault i were then told, of course voided my warranty. SO, I HAVE A SIX MONTH OLD N8, EXTREMELY WELL LOOKED AFTER, AND NOKIA DO NOT WANT TO KNOW! On further investigation, there are literally thousands of complaints of this nature concerning this phone. So here we have an obviously inherant problem with this phone {and others i hasten to add} and NOKIA will not address it. Nokia care centres are a complete joke. they are trained it seems in the art of "fobbing" people off, the more they say no, eventually people give up...well guess what nokia, i will never give up. the telecommunications ombudsman has been informed as too the consumer affairs department. both who have advised me, NOKIA CANNOT USE THE WATER INGRESSION ARGUMENT FOR THEIR PHONES, THEY ARE STILL COVERED BY "STATUTORY WARRANTY CONDITIONS". Apparently Nokia and carriers such as VODAFONE have both been warned by these bodies concerning this. I WANT SOMETHING DONE ABOUT THIS NOKIA, AND I WANT IT NOW. MY TIME IS MORE PRECIOUS THAN A HANDSET, BUT THERE IS A PRINCIPLE HERE!!! STAND BY YOUR WARRANTIES AND FIX THESE INFERIOR PHONES!!!!!!!!

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: NOKIA N8 "CLAIMED" WATER INGRESSION...WILL NOT FIX OR REPLACE

[ Edited ]

@brang1

You have my sympathy with your issue and did notice during last winter in Northern hemisphere although not especially cold outside after excess of 30 minutes the aluminium frame of N8 seems to set up temperature differential which leads to considerable visible condensation on returning back into heated premises. No reason to assume that moist air doesn't percolate through various orifices in casing although some one of more scientific bent maybe able to argue that warmth from CPU mitigates this phenomenon within device.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

I am more furious at NOKIAS complete disregard. They think that by constantly saying NO, the problem will go away. iwill shout this from the highest mountains untill they do the honorable thing, and fix the problem, not just with me, but the whole culture they have adopted in their laughingly described "CARE CENTRES". they care for no consumer, only NOKIA

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

I WIL MAKE THIS PROBLEM GO VIRAL VIA FACEBOOK AND EVERY SOCIAL NETWORK CENTRE THERE IS UNTIL I AM SATISFIED
total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Unfortunately, what aspergi says is true! The phone doesn't actually have to have been immersed in water or rained on to be affected, there can be other reasons and his explanation is one of them! The only solution is to try contacting Nokia directly with the contact us link on the website and hope for a sympathetic ear or to pay for the repair. It may be annoying but moisture getting into the phone is no more Nokia's fault than it is yours, just as if someone knocked the phone out of your hand and caused impact damage. This is a user to user forum and all you can get here is sympathy or advice, you need to contact Nokia directly or pursue the issue via your local trading standards authorities or civil courts. Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'd like to add that the little sticker which turns red if moisture does get into the phone doesn't necessarily mean moisture has caused any damage to the phone itself. 

The sticker can turn red as a result of sweaty hands for instance, so Nokia need to provide further evidence of water damage, and not rely solely on the water damage indicator sticker.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Hi Brang1,

I will ask Nokia Care management in Australia to look into the circumstances of your case. If you are not contacted shortly, please get in touch with me via support.discussions@nokia.com.

Regards,

MichaelS

Community Manager.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

i would say thank you, that would be the gracious thing to do, BUT i have been down this road before and it has led no-where. i do thank you for at least taking an interest

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
evildragon

I was reading this thread, on your side, but your latest post made me just double face palm here.

Look, I don't like Nokia much anymore after the N8 as much as you do (as I don't even have a care point center in Florida), but seriously, you were complaining and moaning about wanting service, and someone here heard you and contacted them on your behalf, and that's not good enough?

That's better than most people get!  Act more maturely.

Think Nokia cares about some puny person on Facebook or some social networking site?  Hell no, just like these online petitions, they don't do SQUAT in a court of law.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

brang1 wrote:

i would say thank you, that would be the gracious thing to do, BUT i have been down this road before and it has led no-where. i do thank you for at least taking an interest

I am told that your N8 device is currently undergoing an independent inspection, you should be contacted again when this is concluded.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

its not complaining and moaning MATE! it's merely stating facts. do not go commenting on things you have absolutely no knowledge off. do you have any idea the **bleep** i have gone through to get this far? NO! so unless you have a comment that has one iota of knowledge based critique or affirmation, then BUTT OUT

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

ACT MORE MATURELY! THIS FROM SOMEONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF # HERSELF "EVILDRAGON"
total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

AND AGAIN, THANK YOU MICHEALS FOR TAKING AN INTEREST

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
iluvchucks26

Hi brang1,

While your feedback is welcome in the discussions board, we encourage users to voice out their concerns in a tone that is respectful to Nokia and other users to maintain a friendly environment. Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards,

iluvchucks26

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
iluvchucks26

Hi brang1,

Just a gentle reminder, we are using a peer-to-peer discussion forum and we have to maintain a friendly atmosphere. Please ensure polite and respectful correspondence with each other to avoid causing arguments and/or offending other users.

Kind Regards,

iluvchucks26

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

NOTED AND ACTIONED

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
evildragon

Hmm, judgemental are we?

Cool it dude.

Like I said, your getting service, and your lucky, because I never received it myself, so yes, I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes right now, because your getting service and I didn't.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@beang1

I like you am here in Australia. Under current Australian law phone companies (manufacturers and telco's) cannot use water ingress as an excuse to get out of their warranty obligations. This has been stated by Graham Samuel - head of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission - who is responsible for overseeing the provisions of the Trade Practices Act. He has stated on talk back radio that he is sick of phone companies using water ingress as an excuse to get out of their obligations. He has also stated that the commission has recently, successfully, taken legal action against both Vodaphone and 3. The commission I believe from what he has said is in the process of taking legal action against Telstra and Optus. He has also intimated that he has others (Nokia) in his sights.  

Is your phone on a contact with a Telco or did you buy it outright? If it is on a contract with a telco then it is the responsibility of the Telco (under the provisions of the Statutory Warranty) to fix your phone.

I suggest you take this matter up with the ACCC and your Local Office of Consumer and Business Affairs.

Graham Samuel has also stated if anyone is having problems with a Telco or phone manufacturer to get in contact with the ACCC (not the Ombudsman) and let them know of your complaint. I did this just recently in regard to Apple Australia and was told the ACCC is in negotiations with Apple in respect of the fact that apple products (iphone and iPad) do not work out of the box which is contrary to Australian Law. Apparently this will be rectified with ios 5.

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

Thank you for that info. it seems it is a pet excuse for a lot of these companys

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

brang1 wrote:

Thank you for that info. it seems it is a pet excuse for a lot of these companys

This will always be territory for disagreement because there are unfortunately a great number of untruthful customers who claim that their phone has never been near water, dropped, etc when in fact it has been.

Please use plain text.