Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

NOKIA N95 WLAN BIG PROBLEM.

Contributor
marjoook
Accepted Solution

NOKIA N95 WLAN BIG PROBLEM.

Hi everybody.
I have a Nokia N95 and i got problem with wifi networks.   I can join and surf on the internet, when im in unsecured router, but mine router is WPA   and settings in N95 should be right.  It is saying that I entered invalid router password or something like that.    Any solution to this?
Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: NOKIA N95 WLAN BIG PROBLEM.

Try to set your router up with a WEP key instead.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marjoook

[ Edited ]

I have really no idea how to do this.. WRT54GC router.
any1 help ?
thanks

Fender77 wrote:

Try to set your router up with a WEP key instead.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Is it a linksys router? Go to your webbrowser on pc and type in the IP adress which should be written somewhere under it. klick go. Then you will get the log in screen (if you have not been doing this, I would guess the password and username would be written under the router too.  When you're inside the router go to wireless and security. You should be able to change it to WEP. Write down your new WEPcode - and try again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marjoook

[ Edited ]

yes, this is a linksys router.  I tryed this before, but no luck with router .
i tryed with 64 and 128  - 10 charters and 26. nothing.   i made picture of that error:
http://www.upload.ee/files/396300/error.JPG.html

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Make a wep 64 bit and just pick random numbers. Like 3498239158....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marjoook

[ Edited ]

still same error.
edit:  just changed to wep.     now trying

Please use plain text.
Contributor
marjoook

[ Edited ]

WOW ! You're genius! :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, I got it working! Thanks again!

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

No problem! Glad it worked out. I remeber having a similar issue with my n95 8 gb some time ago. You could also go to linksys' websites and download the latest fw for your router. It's a little file which you download to your pc - then log into you router and update by uploading the fw file.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Here is another idea.... Glad you got it working with the suggestion of Fender77 to change your router to WEP 64 bit.

Nevertheless... if you want to ignore the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" axiom and go for a more secure form of encryption, so that the other devices on your network don't have to use the backlevel WEP just because you phone has to, here is what I discovered by trial and error and accident, which lets my phone(s) work with WPA2.

I found that 

WPA Personal (which is sounds like is what you were originally using) features "

dynamic encryption keys", and when you set that up on your Linksys router, you are given the opportunity to "Select the type of encryption method you want to use, TKIP or AES"

There is also a WPA Personal (Mixed Mode), which uses TKIP + AES and is used when you have devices connecting to your network which do not support WPA2 as well as devices that do support WPA2, so that either one can connect.  However I was using this on my router and the phones couldn't connect.

Then there is WPA2 Personal, the latest and greatest.
This method offers AES encryption dynamic encryption keys.

I found that if I choose WPA2 Personal with AES encryption keys, my phones connect just fine, so it must be something to do with TKIP encryption which causes the connection problem according to my results.

If you decide to try it and it works, please post so we will know if it is not only on my system that the works on.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mihaicoli

Re: Nokia N95 restarts when using WLAN.

I recently have upgraded my N95 (RM-159) to version 35.0.002 (with OVI suite, as it could not connect to phone by USB cable unless upgrade some software in it).

After this update,  WLAN can see networks, but PHONE is RESTARTING at any connection attempt.

Power cable in it even if battery full, switch passwords in all modes, even WEP (as above suggested), even ad-hoc network wireless connection with laptops.

Please tell me that this should not be the third phone to throw away...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: Nokia N95 restarts when using WLAN.

[ Edited ]

So your phone is restarting it self by any connection attempt? Did this happen before you updated the fw? Have you installed any "funny" 3rd party application right before it happened? - I would guess that this likely could be caused by a failed fw update. - But of course it could be other things too.

What I would do is to backup only needed stuff like contacts, messages etc, and leave settings etc and do a soft reset on it to see if it can straighten it up. (the soft reset will erease what's on your phonememory).

I don't use ovi suite for various reasons, but does it allow you to reinstall the update? I would try that as first step if possible, then try the soft reset (*#7370# following 12345 as sec code).

Please use plain text.