Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New E52. Horrible experience. Year 1998 flashb...

Counsellor
hale

New E52. Horrible experience. Year 1998 flashback.

[ Edited ]
After decades of stagnation at last Nokia need to improve user interface of modern Smartphones.
Today it is user-unfriendly.
1)Make BIG clocks on screensaver and standby display. The screen is large, but current clocks are so tiny, completely unusable! It is shame to put such mobile on the table :-(
2)!!! Make long caller names to be displayed via traveling line or via line folding. Is "Dame Mar..." for Dame Marjorie Scardino is readable to Nokia designers!? Hah!
3) Improve control over volume settings to make all ascending volume settings tunable OFF! Including alarm and organizer! Why do we always need to search cracks for phones to disable this idiotic feature?
4)FIX THE BUG when caller name is NOT DISPLAYED even if the correct contact is present.
5)More operations on selected objects of same property (example - import of 200 CVS cards into Contacts with ONE operation)
6)Make PC-Suite capable to view all types of messages in Incoming folder!
7)Make more keys programmable with functions. This is smartphone, but it doesn't seem to be smart with so many clicks to make any operation. 7 years ago Siemens and Motorola could make every num-key to be programmable on cheapest handsets. But Nokia still can't. Doesn't Nokia know how to make this?

I lost my Sie.S75 and bought this pocket horror :-( OOowowwwgh! I'll smash it some day against the wall!
Message Edited by hale on 17-Aug-2009 10:17 PM
Message Edited by hale on 17-Aug-2009 10:27 PM
Nokia 640->>Siemens S35->>Siemens C55->>
Siemens CX65->>Siemens S75 -x- Nokia E52:
Nothing is smart in Smartphones!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: New E52. Horrible experience. Year 1998 flashback.

try a cClock application for a large clock that will do you just fine but it will time out with power saver like all newer nokias have it set to. 

also you have duplicates in your phone hence the name is not  showing

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=28

have a read at that

you can set up your short cut keys and shortcut to applications on your home screen.  its pretty much a standard business phone running symbian, it is very capable and yet is has few niggles. so does every other phone in the world. perhaps trying another brand for a moment would do you some good as you would see that in this world of technology it even gets worse than symbian. 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Professor

before you smash it I'll take it
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

[ Edited ]

radical24 " it will time out with power saver like ' 

Oh yeah! You see the problem! ANY 3rd party Large clock application is USELESS and EATS BATTERY!

This is a problem of NOKIA!

"also you have duplicates in your phone hence the name is not showing"

This is 12 years old BUG. This is BUG   BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG !!!

It is present only on Nokia phones and need to be fixed at last after 12 years!

"you can set up your short cut keys and shortcut to applications on your home screen." 

NO! ICAN'T

Not on E52!   

There is Active menu, BUT I DON'T USE ACTIVE MENU! I don't like it! 

New Voce desktop doesn't have such shortcuts! I don't like it either.

And even active menu doesn't have enough shortcuts and 

I need too many clicks to access them! 

I want simple application shortcut on long-hold  of num-key as it was on other non Nokia phones.

It was VERY convenient! 

likeitlikethat

Don't stay on the line of fire! Nokia will not pay for your hospitalization.

Message Edited by hale on 18-Aug-2009 02:43 PM
Message Edited by hale on 18-Aug-2009 02:48 PM
Message Edited by hale on 18-Aug-2009 02:49 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

[ Edited ]

Sorry for too muchedits and misclick on "accepted solution". I don't see solution now. 

But  I see horrble incompatibility of forum with Opera Browser.

radical24:

And what will you say about

Incomming call from "Dame Mar..." on place of Dame Marjorie Scardino ?

Is there any free or cheap 3rd party solutions to this old known worldwide problem?

Any application that will overlay text with line folding or with crawling line?

Message Edited by hale on 18-Aug-2009 03:02 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Dear Hale.

I agree with some of your troubles. Regarding the long name callers I found a solution; there's a new field for each contact called "Ajouter texte d'appel" in french which might be "Set Call text".

If you add a text to this field it will appear when the person calls you; it does'nt fix the problem you were talking about but it can helps.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

[ Edited ]

And about size of fonts. If I set "digital" clocks on waitscreen,they appear very small. Smaller than on previous models!  

There are Psiloc Font Magnifier application, but it is shrinked not allowing to change system and Clock fonts.

Preinstalled Psiloc applications prevent update or installation of newer version of Font Magnifier. 

According to Psiloc first I must uninstall all the preinstalled Psiloc SW. 

BUT NOBODY PROVIDE ME WITH INSTALLATION PACKAGES OF THIS SOFTWARE for BACKUP purpose if I want to return it back after deletion! 

This is horrible support of Nokia! 

They give me an application than doesn't function right. They recommend me to delete this and EVERY OTHER applications. But they don't give me anyreplacement or possibility to roll back! 

What did I pay for? Hardware? Ok, next time I collect something like Microsoft Devkit with Intel PXA CPU and assemble everything myself on WinMobile. If selfsupport is necessary, it is better to choose windows, I think :-(

Message Edited by hale on 18-Aug-2009 10:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor

Typing in caps is not going to get anyone to help you, buddy.

Also, talking like the people trying to help you are idiots is a bad idea too.

In regards to your "numbers not showing", Radical was right. If you have duplicate numbers in your phonebook, then of course it will not show names but numbers.

If you have the same number listed twice, say "person a" and "person b" (even if it's the same person, you just happen to have accidently aded their number twice?), with the same phone number, then how is your handset going to differentiate from either person, why would it choose A over B? Do you want it to tell you both of them are calling?

It is not a BUGBUGBUGBUGBUGBUG!!1!1shift-one!!1!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

"Typing in caps is not going to get anyone to help you, buddy."
Dear friend. I am not allowed to say any more abusive language here, but seeing this phone I really want. 
I can't yell louder than CAPS. But E52 deserve it. 
At least after it lost 10 organizer events without notification! :-(

"Also, talking like the people trying to help you are idiots"
Don't try to forge correspondence logs. I never talk to people who trying to help or to understand the problem in this way. I always click kudos/regards and say thanks to anybody thinking or helping.
But I always blame people saying meaningless things (read carefully 2nd answer) or pretending there are no problems (You are my friend).

Because the problem with incoming call is the BUG only present in Nokia.
Even if there are 2 duplicates, those contacts are correct and at least one of them MUST be displayed. Just because it is CORRECT. 
"how is your handset going to differentiate from either person, why would it choose"
There's no need to differentiate because the Contact is correct! Any one of duplicates. Or both of them.
There are number of cases I want to make duplicates. Quick searching, extra data, sorting, synchronization collisions… But any other phone displays one of them, except Nokia. It is Not Smart for Smartphone to act such way!

There are other problems(not bugs at least) like incapacity to display names for numbers not beginning with "+#". Some roaming or peripheral networks/sub operators give strange prefixes for the same number. Most mobiles understand that 1234567 is the same for +7 987 1234567 and for 00 987 1234567 etc. Not those Business Smartphones.

And all of those problems are discussed for about 12 years and it now seems they will never be resolved even for Smartphones. :-( Nothing is smart in them.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

P.S.

Don't you agree, such gigantic screen can display up to 6(!) duplicates at once? And there is no line folding to display more duplicates with tiny font ;-)

Please use plain text.
Professor

hale what about voice quality, both what you hear and particularly the people you talk to can hear you well or not,
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

[ Edited ]

GSM voice quality is usual for middle/high class handsets I used before. Nothing bad, nothing extremely fine. Just normal. Some blackouts happen, but I think (I hope) that is the problm of network, not handset. It happened before on other handsets.

Sensitivity of RF transceiver I will understand a little later, after travelling abroad by car (how far can it see home network).

Of cause UMTS capability is a great feature! Without UMTS I would never buy this handset.

But in my area there are still very few UMTS handsets now and the signal is weak. Maybe only next year in Japan I will understand how it is great... I don't know, will it be roaming or can I register this handset in local network...

Message Edited by hale on 20-Aug-2009 08:52 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

One more problem. This time it is hardware :-( 

The light sensor. it is placed in a wrong place, or to deep inside the frame.  

No matter how it is bright outside, the screen is dark and low-contrast, LEDs are dimmed.

The best place would be on top of the frame, near the on/off button... at least sensor window would better be wider. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

Ooohhh
I must take my words back.

There are really problems with voice quality!
I placed my SIM in old siemens handset and understood this.

1)I was talking in UMTS and didn't find spectral problems or any interference.
But when my mobile fell into GSM there appeared internal RF to audio frequency interference! It is always hissing and zzumming in GSM mode. Somtimes it is silent enough, sometimes it becomes loud. I never heard this on other GSM handsets while talking, only during incoming ring.
I don't know what to do whith this - it seems it is impossible to fix. The problem is in RF par. People call it "EMC", do you know this term?
2)There is a problem with noise gate filter. It is unstable. It sometimes cuts voice. Sometimes sound is cut completely like person on other side has hanged-up handset. Today at home I found myself too often asking people, do they still online.
!!!The noise gate filter must be switchable OFF in settings!!! I want to turn it off.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, I think it is a bug. Since Nokia phone system allows a user to have duplicated numbers, it must be able to handle them. Or do not allow users to enter any duplicated numbers to make the rule simpler.
E63-1 (410.21.010)
3110c (07.21)
Padsticker
http://batu35.googlepages.com/index.html
Pimlical
http://www.pimlicosoftware.com
Please use plain text.
Professor

hale are you referring to the active noise cancellation? personally I don't trust that so called feature I want that feature to have the option of being disabled or eliminated completely, there is no way to trust the phone to decide what sound to send and what sound to remove, I don't want a phone making decisions what speech or sounds of my environment I want to send, I will decide that. How can I be confident when I am talking to someone when I know a 3rd party is actively making decisions what of my conversation is being removed while I am talking and I have no choice about it! when I first read about that feature I thought that is crazy
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

[ Edited ]

"hale are you referring to the active noise cancellation?"

Yes. In engineering it is called "Nose gate" filtering. Very simple (for lazy programmers) time domain virtual SNR enhancer. It actually doesn't enhance quality(SNR), but cheats by making pauses clean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

In newly introduced "active noise cancellation" that could be only a part of DSP software. But this part of software definitely must be switchable OFF.

In addition, there are a number of similar but more advanced filter cascades in GSM voice codecs. Why did they introduce one more nonstandard and very rough filter !!?

The really crazy thing about this is the most(or only) only actively reduced thing is INCOMING voice. But incoming voices is the data already filtered by another handset, compressed and transferred through a network. There's no need to make anything with it again!!! This is real craziness !

Message Edited by hale on 22-Aug-2009 07:10 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hale

Still the problems are not solved. So let the topic float on top.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

metalfan wrote:
In regards to your "numbers not showing", Radical was right. If you have duplicate numbers in your phonebook, then of course it will not show names but numbers.

If you have the same number listed twice, say "person a" and "person b" (even if it's the same person, you just happen to have accidently aded their number twice?), with the same phone number, then how is your handset going to differentiate from either person, why would it choose A over B? Do you want it to tell you both of them are calling?

It is not a BUGBUGBUGBUGBUGBUG!!1!1shift-one!!1!

Of course it's a bug. Stop making excuses for Nokia's stupidity. EVERY other smartphone phone platform (and some not so smart) handles duplicate entries quite easily - all they do is display the first match found. Any info is better than nothing. A total no-brainer that even a 10 year old could work out.

It's amazing tha Nokia can't fathom this out instead of their dumb OS doing a "can't compute" and bailing out by just showing the number.

Message Edited by northerner on 07-Sep-2009 09:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The best and most logical solution for the duplicated numbers problem is to inform the user that the problem exists. For example with a message like 'you have duplicate number 111222333'. It is so simple...
Please use plain text.