Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New firmware for E72??? Has anyone updated yet...

Counsellor

Re: New firmware for E72??? Has anyone updated yet?

Hi.

Those of you that updated to the 051.018 version of the software.

Can you see if any of the following issues are changed?

1. When writing emails (non nokia ovi) is there a "send option" where you can change sending account?

2. is the automatic bcc issue resolved (is automatic BCC added) when writing emails?

3. Does the web browser handle scaling better?

4. Is there now a difference between delete from phone and delete from server in the e-mail application?

K

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Javichu1984

[ Edited ]

I´ve updated the firmware yesterday, and since it, I have to take out the battery two times, and the Nokia Messaging is not working now, so I don´t have push mail...

Nokia, will you check someday a firmware before releasing it? I was a Nokia fan since years, but now I can see how there are a lot of brands of mobile phones performing it really well, and Nokia is the only one that after releasing a new firmware, the phone is worst that with the previous one...

Nokia, take notes, these are the 450+ bugs fixed...

- Nokia Messaging stops syncyng emails...A mobile dessigned for email, not receiving emails...good work...

- Adobe Reader now is BACK to the 1.5 version, instead of 2.5.

- MfE is the same version as always, so, Hotmail and Google exchange accounts DO NOT WORK. Does any corporate in the world not having Google apps? Nokia, thats priority!

- The "new" browser, don´t display correctly the webpage, and had problems showing it on full screen...

- Is always popping off messages of full memory! How can a mobile device with 128mb of ram and multitasking CAN'T load a webpage with more of 1.5mb of content, without this warning?

I don´t now what the hell are you spending time...but if your answer is on Meego and Nokia N8, please give a free one to your currently customers, becouse I´ve spent 300€ on my E72, and I want a product that has all the things that you promise to the customers on the marketing campaigns.

Please use plain text.
Professor

to Javichu1984

..new firmware? Which new firmware!!! you upgraded at your own risk and danger....no official upgrade has never been released  :smileyvery-happy:, isn't it, Jimmyireland?

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/E72-letest-firmware-upgrade-thread-removed/td-p/750283

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

bobi1024 wrote:

Yeah they've fixed 7 and 8 number keys, but nothing else obvious has changed except that.

I'm constantly wondering how Nokia manage to support so different versions of Symbian along with S40 and now Meego. Symbian S60 is now called Symbian^1 and it is S60v3 and S60v5 (touch). Symbian^3 is now released with the new devices. I read about Symbian^4 and I'm waiting for the Meego device. Despite the fact Symbian became open source, I'm not familiar with the code, but is this some game of numbers or OS-es with different functions and structure, if it is so, then you need an army of programmers to ensure that everything running properly.

I respond:

Problem is, they don't have everything running properly. I think you've touched on one of the causes -- they are spread way too thin. Everywhere you look in Nokia-land, there are big problems -- ovi.com is a mess, firmware updates routinely break things, things like Mail for Exchange don't work, etc., etc. (I've detailed a lot of the problems I've run into in previous posts and won't repeat all that here).

They need fewer phones, fewer operating systems, better designers, better programmers, better QA.

At this point, I'm still using my E71, which is basically a good phone. I've been trying to find an unlocked Android phone that supports AT&T's US 3g frequencies for use with a pre-paid AT&T account, but other than the defunct Nexus One (which lacked a radio and had other issues), it doesn't seem to exist. (US customers, who can't seem to do math -- "Wow, an iPhone for $200! I'm really sticking it to Apple and AT&T!!", forgetting that the thing will cost them $70-$100/month for two years and they might be able to make a call that doesn't get dropped only if they are really lucky and hold the phone as instructed by Steve Jobs). So, unless I want to change providers, which I don't (I like GSM, as I can stick an international sim card in the phone when I'm in Europe, and AT&T is the best GSM provider in the US), I'm stuck with Nokia at this point. But I wouldn't dream of buying another Nokia phone -- I'll just continue to use the E71 without upgrading the firmware, so they don't get an opportunity to break it -- unless and until Nokia proves that they have finally gotten their act together. The N8 looks nice on paper. As Albert Einstein once said "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice." Smart man, Professor Einstein.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
naveedkazi

Not able to update it so far,based in India.Also tried to find offline firmware file but not available as free,if any one know the link to download the firmware file will be appreciated.:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

BCC is an option. Web browser is better. The other queries are not clear!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
feuermann

hi i’ve upgraded my e72 to 51.18 but a big problem that i cannot set the jar files on phone namely java doesn’work.in previous version there was no problem about java,is there anybody who is in same circumstance, i wonder if nokia will release new version soon
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vvasilevnm

5 months after the fw. 31 update Nokia releases fw. 51 without any significant changes and the most important problems are not fixed. For example:

1. Mail for exchange still does not work with gmail
2. Nokia messaging is not reliable and stops receiving mail almost every day
3. When the nokia messaging works, it has problems with the foreign characters (for example with the Cyrillic), while every other mail client displays the same messages correctly
3. Calendar reminders are silent after the first auto snooze
4. The browser is still buggy and does not display many pages correctly
5. And many others...

The mail client is still version 2.2. I cannot imagine how they dare to publish such unfinished product? And I think the new E5 model comes with the same **bleep** mail program. For example, try to use the option "Connect all" or "Synchronize all" from the menu - only the first mail account is connected or synchronized. This is good example how they test the things (or how they don't do it).

So, I returned to my old E71 and it is so much better in every aspect. I gave up and the E72 is the last Nokia phone that I bought. I no longer believe that they can and they want to fix all these sw problems.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

vvasilevnm wrote:

The mail client is still version 2.2. I cannot imagine how they dare to publish such unfinished product? And I think the new E5 model comes with the same **bleep** mail program. For example, try to use the option "Connect all" or "Synchronize all" from the menu - only the first mail account is connected or synchronized. This is good example how they test the things (or how they don't do it).

My Email client after upgrade is 2.2.0. For Connect all, in my case, all connect!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hellsway

I got an update for my e72-1 made in finland  on the 1st September. 

Obviously excited for the upgrade, i waste no time updating the phone via OTA.

There were 3 updates. The firmware update (12MB), the Communicator update (1MB) and Ovi Map 3.04 update (8MB).

At first instance, there were not much positive aspect of the firmware upgrade. I dont feel that is is any faster or it conserves more of the battery life. Because i'd never experience any bugs from 031 firmware, there is not much of a gain for me in respect to bug fixes.

As i dont use Communicator, again, this firmware upgrade does not gain me anything.

However, Ovi Maps 3.04 was a modest upgrade from 3.03. I have to say the gps fix is almost instantaneous as soon as the map loads (AGPS is activated of course). The compass is very responsive and it starts up pretty much as soon as you press no.5 without twirling the phone to the figure of the number 8 (we do not need to look silly in public anymore)

As nokia is deadly faulty, please remember to hard reset your phone after the upgrade if you find that things do not work your way. I soon discovered that the upgrade was messing around with some of the software compatibility of the phone, eg my skype wont connect after the upgrade, ovi map's online softwares (maps, events, whatnot) will not connect online, nokia email wont autocomplete addresses (this one **bleep** me off the most because im a heavy email user). Therefore i had no choice but to hard reset my phone and soon after, it was all good.

Overall, there is not much change at all, neither cosmetically nor functionality, for me. If 031 serves you well, i do not recommend you to upgrade to 051. It might just screw with the compatibility of your softwares. Just upgrade ovi maps 3.04. its totally worth it IMO.

Until nokia releases the change log, i am not convince that their claim of over 400 bug fixes is genuine.

Please use plain text.
Hieu3210

Who can tell me that when this firmware support Vietnamese???

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vvasilevnm

Yes, 2.2.0 is the same version as before the update and it is shame that the e-mail client was not changed at all after so many months. As for the "connect all" and "synchronize all" options - try with 2 or more IMAP accounts. I suppose it works with the nokia messaging accounts, but not with IMAP and POP3.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Javichu1984

Today Nokia change the messaging server, and now is working as usually for me...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ggarron

I got this:
"Phone not updated. Update package not compatible with the phone. Contact your service provider."
Anyone knows what to do?
Edit I have a E72-2
Type: RM-529
Firmware: 031.023 from March 31, 2010
I have the version available from the nokia update in-band option.
The version the phone has downloaded is:

Please use plain text.
Sage

naveedkazi wrote:

Not able to update it so far,based in India.Also tried to find offline firmware file but not available as free,if any one know the link to download the firmware file will be appreciated.:smileyindifferent:

There are different update firmware files for each product code, thus you can only use the one that matches your phone, otherwise, it may render the phone unbootable. Also, the firmware files need a program to upload to the phone to initiate the firmware update -- typically Nokia's Software Updater does this for you automatically (assuming your phone's product code matches the available firmware file). You can use the Software Device Update page in Nokia's website to enter your cellphone's product code to check whether an update already exists or not for your specific phone product code model. After which, use either the official stand-alone Nokia Software Updater or Ovi Suite's Software Update to flash update your phone.

~~~~~

I've updated my E72 to 051.018 using OTA (actually, it's my first time to try using OTA), previously I've always use Nokia Software Updater (and it's almost always a 100+Mb download, nearer 200mb). Took quite a long time to download since broadband in our country (Philippines) is not that fast yet. :smileysad:

Anyway, so far I haven't seen any difference between 051.018 and 031.023 yet. In fact I can confirm that one bug introduced in 031.023 is still in 051.018 (that bug wasn't present in the initial release nor in 023.002) -- the bug is that when you copy and paste a message and then immediately send it (SMS), it will send a blank message.

I've encountered this bug several times and my contacts ask me why I sent them a blank message (I copied and pasted message excerpt from an email or another SMS without modifying). Then realize it's the "copy & paste - blank message" bug again. So far, the workaround for this bug that I'm using is to copy & paste and then modify the message a little bit (eg. add an extra space) -- that way the message will then be sent, not a blank message.

Can someone confirm with their 051.018 if they also experienced this bug?

Please use plain text.
salasource

My E72 with 031.023 and product code 0589139 says there is not update.

Please use plain text.
devbhai

hi
Please use plain text.
devbhai

hi , i am from india &  have updated with this firmware , it is massive 190.5 mb , it is will take too much  time to do it OTA , best to do thro broad band service

Please use plain text.
Sage

devbhai wrote:

hi , i am from india &  have updated with this firmware , it is massive 190.5 mb , it is will take too much  time to do it OTA , best to do thro broad band service

Well, the reason I previously always update from the PC (Nokia Software Updater or Ovi Suite's updater) via a DSL broadband connection is due to the large download.

However, when I checked my E72's Device Update / SW Update (phone connected to wifi broadband), it says the update weighs in only at 9976 kb (around 10Mb), thus I tried it out and the update was pretty quick too (I was surprised it was much faster than when I updated via Nokia Software Updater from the PC).  I'm not sure if there's any difference updating from the PC vs updating OTA though...

I noted from the 051.018 change log, it says that QuickOffice should have been updated to QuickOffice  v6.2.439, but when I checked my QuickOffice (after updating to 051.018), it's still at QuickOffice v6.2.217 (the same as in 031.023)..   I did have the same issue (mentioned by the others here) of Adobe Reader -- previously it was updated to Adobe Reader LE 2.5, now it reverted to Adobe Reader LE 1.5.  :smileysad:

I wonder if it's still possible to update it back to v2.5 (does it require to pay to update to v2.5? In 031.023, it was Adobe Reader LE 2.5 without requiring us to pay some fee, or it could have been a trial version -- yet even as a trial version, it wasn't nagging to buy and pay for the product update?)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I updated today. Wolaaaa. Radio works.

More news later.

Please use plain text.