Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

No firmware update options on Nokia E6-00

Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

No firmware update options on Nokia E6-00

My Nokia E6-00 is currently running firmware v. 021.014 (011-05-26, RM-609), which was on the device when first purchased (SIM free, unlocked). I understand from the Nokia web-site and elsewhere  that there has been at least one subsequent fimware update  (currently v. 22.014) with minor bug fixes.

However, I don't get offered any such updates, either OTA using the E6's SW updater, or alternativeky via Nokia OVI suite (v. 3.1..1.90) on a Windows7 PC.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: No firmware update options on Nokia E6-00

Did you buy it from an operator? It might be branded and incase so the operator has to approve the new fw before Nokia can release it. Often they add operator specific apps etc. Or Nokia hasn't yet released it for your phone.

May I ask what the product code is? You can google it if you don't know if it's branded. Usually you should find the answer to it with google.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

[ Edited ]

It was bought direct from Amazon UK as a SIM free device, and there's no evidence of it being anything other than a genuine device. What else can I check? Where is the product code?

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Not really as neither ovi suite, OTA nor NSU says there is a new update, you will have to wait.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

My E6-00 product code is 059H6F1

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

[ Edited ]

From your home screen dial *#0000#, Then wait for a second or two, Then scroll down the page that appears until you get to the "Product Code" section, Your "Product Code" is written just underneath the words "Product Code". :smileyhappy:

SNAP: 059H6F1, We have the same product code mushroom_daddy. 

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

OP, you have an United Kingdom country variant..

Looking for it now...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

Okey, from my sources it doesn't seem to be released any further updates for your CV than what you already have installed.

Contact Nokia and ask!

Btw, you are doing nothing wrong. It's just not available atm at least on the servers as I can see.

Please use plain text.
Sage

mushroom_daddy wrote:

It was bought direct from Amazon UK as a SIM free device, and there's no evidence of it being anything other than a genuine device. What else can I check? Where is the product code?

Same here mate. A SIM free, unbranded E6 bought from Amazon UK.

Either via OVI or OTA ,upgrade to v22 or v25 firmware has not yet been made available to my E6.

Maybe Nokia forgot they sell the E6 in the UK :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
_n0kia

The same here.
Device from E-Plus / BASE Germany
Product Code
059J9N9
Version 021.014

No Updates available!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

E6-00 unlocked. 059J6L4.

Software version: 022.014   :smileyindifferent:.

From Italy.

Please use plain text.
Vernor

I have just updated E6-00 with 025.007, but it was a weird experience. Yesterday I updated Nokia Ovi Suite to 3.1.1.90 and it recommended to update the handset too. I disliked updating firmware via the windows application and tried to do this through Phone management -> Device updates on the phone. That was strange, but it said "No updates available" considering 021.014 as the latest revision.

So I just let Ovi Suite to update the phone firmware. During the update process I noticed a strange text displayed on the phone: "025.007 Test Mode" or something like this. Even more strange thing is that http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/device-software-update/news states "Latest software release for Nokia E6-00 is 022.014". It seems that Ovi Suite has installed some unreleased test firmware on my phone... Am I wrong?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

Well it seems like not the only one who can't update my E6, even though the Nokia UK website clearly states that 'Latest software release for Nokia E6-00 is 022.014' and encourages you to 'Update your phone with Ovi Suite' 

It's all a bit weird, rather confusing, and typically Nokia!

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Sage

It certainly is weird and inconsistent product support.

More so when you consider that my/our E6 suffers from exactly the same bugs and usability issues as those sold elsewhere in the world, yet some people receive a fix (or attempted fix) and some don't.

Please use plain text.
_n0kia

Yes! This is really inacceptable!

My phone cant sync via Mail For Exchange because of bugs... There seems to be an update, but not for my region / provider!

But what the hell has the mail client to do with the provider settings on the device !??!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

I've sent a Support query to Nokia about this problem, and will report back if I hear anything positive.

My Nokia E6-00 is currently running firmware v. 021.014 (011-05-26, RM-609), which was on the device when first purchased (SIM free, unlocked, unbranded; product code 059H6F1).

I understand from the UK Nokia web-site that the latest firmware update is currently v. 22.014.

However, I don't get offered any updates, either OTA using my  E6's SW updater, or alternatively via Nokia OVI suite (v. 3.1.1.90) on a Windows7 PC.

This seems inconsistent with the information that appears on your on your web-pages:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/product/e6-00/

From Nokia Discussions it would appear that I'm certainly not the only one having this problem:
/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/No-firmware-update-options-on-Nokia-E6-00/td-p/1194281

Please could you let me know why I (and other users) are unable to update the E6-00 firmware?

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mushroom_daddy

Herewith my reply from Nokia Support:

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline. 

In response to your concern, we understand that you would like to update your phone's firmware. However, upon checking your phone's product code 059H6F1, the firmware version that is available for your phone is software version 021.014. For your reference, you may visit the link below:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/appmanager/UnitedKingdomEnglishNOKIA_UK_23/Get_support;JSESSIONID_NCOM=G2ZNTN...

Furthermore, firmware version 021.014 is the general firmware for all Nokia E6-00 phones. Kindly be informed that there are factors that affect its distribution such as the following:

1. Product code of handset (for there are certain compatible software for each variant as guided by the Federal Communications Commission and other related legal authorities).
2. Country (there are designated firmwares for different countries as this also require the approval of Telecommunication authorities of each country).
3. Network Service Provider (for they may not have approved the software yet due to their modifications on your handset which will be affected upon updating).

For future reference, please feel free to check our website. Kindly refer to the link below:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/support

You may also call our Customer Care Hotline at 0845-045-5555, Mon-Fri 9am-7pm (except bank and public holidays).

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

It does rather beg the question as to why the firmware updates are displayed on their GB/UK E6-00 support pages, but that's Nokia !

So you now we know!

--
Nokia E6-00 SIM free
Mac User
Please use plain text.
Sage

It is good to know the reasons why and be educated.

I never knew a fix to keypad brightness issues needed the approval of national telecommunications authorities.

Please use plain text.
Sage
WhiteVanMan

Yeah, Or speed-ups and optimizations.

Guess we'll have to put up with the slow and outdated phone that was new to

market only a few months ago, Oh well, What can you do ?. 

Nokia E6 (FW:021.014), Unbranded, Sim-Free, Unlocked.
Please use plain text.
upeschier

I would suggest to stop buying Nokia, I am in the same boat with my E6 and I am seriously thinking switching phones only after 6 months on having this E6
Please use plain text.