Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5230 No APN Control setting

Accepted Solution

Nokia 5230 No APN Control setting

Hi all, I just bought Nokia 5230, I have problem setting up the phone for web access and MMS. There's supposed to be a APN Control setting in Connectivity->Admin Settings->APN Control, I just don't have this setting. Anyone has a solution? Thanks alot
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
angelrico101

Hi,

GPRS and MMS settings are usually being provided by Network Operators. I would suggest for you to contact your Network Operator for assistance on this one.

Hope this helps.

Your Nokia Angel in disguise
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

[ Edited ]

This servive has to be activated by your SP on the SIM card. Check the English manual on page 120.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/5230/guides

Message Edited by hadimassa on 13-Jan-2010 03:56 PM
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the advise, problem solved, turn out to be the coded default APN in the SIM card, got my SIM card changed and things works fine now. Thanks again ppl : )

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

what was the problem exactly...having the same problem..and keep finding somewhere the sim needs to update, cant find it now, but what needs to be done? can u help..proper buggin me
Please use plain text.

I just got my SIM changed and it worked. APN restricts certain packet data and since the 5230 deosn't comes with a APN ctrl like the rest of the family, there's no way to set or turn the APN off. This has to be done at the SIM card. So just change the SIM card and ask your operator to get rid of the APN ctrl. Good luck.

Please use plain text.
marty2014

HI,

I cannot find how to post a new message, so hopefully someone will assist me on that!!

In the mean time...I have 5000 Nokia 5320 phones deployed in the field for a client capturing information. I have set up an APN with my network provider, but need to now program all the phones in the field with the new APN. How do I do this remotely? I do know that there is an ITU mechanism for sending a "secret" SMS to the device for a particular listener on a port (configured in the SMS, but cannot find information on what that port number is for the APN settings for the 5320. is there anybody out thtere with this type of technical information that could please assist..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

This thread is about the Nokia 5230, a Symbian/S60 5th Edition phone. Nokia 5000 and Nokia 5320 XpressMusic are both Nokia Series 40 phones. I just repeat that, to make sure we do not have transposed digits here.

Changing the APN is not possible via secret SMS. The default APN (empty one) can be changed in the HLR of the network operator only. However, you are able to send configuration SMS (OMA CP) which the user has to accept. The full details are outlined in a document called ‘Series_40_DP_2_0_OMA_Client_Provisioning_v1_3_en.pdf’. Real world examples, can be found there …

Might be easier, to instruct the folks in field. Actually, these phones come with pre-configured OMA CP settings onboard. If you swap the SIM, the phone defaults are re-set as default. Isn’t that sufficient already?

marty2014 wrote:

I cannot find how to post a new message…

Only when you are in a section, there is the text-button ‘New message’ at the top-left. Do not ask me, how long I had to search the first time …

Please use plain text.
marty2014

Hi Abi99,

Thanks for the help!! I will go through the doc this evening.

My problem is that the users of these phones are health providers in rural african countries and would not be able to change the APN settings themselves....even with a detailed SMS instructing them, i think the majority would either ignore it or make mistakes...so I have to find an over the air method....and there is no applicatoin on the phone....I inherited this project......

I have thought of SIM swapping them, but there are 5000 and these guys are in rural villages....so logistically that is going to be a mess!!

Anyway, back to the technicals....are you saying that I actually cannot do this alone, but will need the assistance of the mobile operator to provision the HLR for these phones? maybe I need to go through the doc firt before I ask these questions :smileyhappy:.

regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

If you have 5.000 Series 40 phones to change, OMA CP is the best I am aware of. For OMA CP, you normally do not have to ask your operator – however, I would ask them first because some operators would block in such a case: This is going to be more than 20.000 SMS segments. And this is not going to be a secret SMS; your user have to accept the new configuration with two clicks.

Anyway, asking your operator for a special deal, would be the easiest thing. Then the preset APN gets remapped by the operator. Only one person must be convinced …

Please use plain text.