Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5230 battery life

Advisor
giltic

Nokia 5230 battery life

Hi to everybody. I am a new member and a new Nokia user. I've bought Nokia 5230 silver about three weeks ago. I must say I like the phone user interface but unfortunately thats all I can say.

First of all, the GPS is just lousy. I can't get a lock on satellites in the same spot  where my Garmin finds five or six satellites in 15 seconds. My Nokia couldn't find not a single one satellite in 20 minutes. The second thing is battery life. I am not a heavy  user, not even a moderate one. I have one or two calls per day (1 minute long or less), one message or two  and perhaps about ten monutes of fooling around the settings per day. Bluetooth is off, screen brightness about 30%, no mail, network set to GSM (I don't need G3) and no applications in the background except menu and homescreen. The phone already had the last firmware 12.0v12.0.089 when I got it. The battery lasts at top two and a half days LOL. That is way under the specifications (standby up to 432h, talk time up to 7h, ...). I would like to meet the guy who put out those numbers. I was doing some tests with Nokia_Energy_Profiler_v1_22 and my phone is using 45mA of current in standby mode! Well; 1250mA battery / 45mA = 27.7 hours in standby mode theoreticaly . This is far from 432 hours. I am EE and have charged the battery according to manuals so this is not my error and I don't think the battery is lousy. The phone is too power hungry. In standby mode it should use no more then 3 to 15 mAmps as far I can say. Did I got a lemon? There is not a lot info about 5230 model but a lot users of 5800 are complaining about battery life on the net (the same battery and practicaly the same phone). I have done all the usual steps - reset the phone and all. The battery meter is also  way off. It shows all the bars for a long time then the battery drains in a few hours from all the bars to shut off.

Is there any other user with the short battery life? Is there any of Nokia guys on this forum to explain about Nokia quality? I think this is my first and last Nokia phone. I have paid almost 200€  for this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

If you want to be sure you get an anwer from nokia, you should use the "contact us" link on the top of this page.

Sorry to hear youre not happy with it.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
giltic

Thanks for the reply Fender77. First I must apologize; I was angry when I wrote those lines. The members of the forum are not responsible for my troubles with the phone. I wanted to ask the forum members if some other users of 5230 have the same troubles with the battery. I found a lot users of 5800 on the net with same troubles (same battery and almost the same phone as 5230). There is not a lot users info on the net about 5230.

Please use plain text.
zaki11

Yes yes  Giltic i am here a new user of nokia 5230 and your post has touched all my strings of heart :smileyhappy: as all you said is totally true so i also found another person facing these problem. Well just to corrent these are not faults but limitiation by this we can make us calm, so cool dwn friend and let us use if as we both have bought now.

But  i agree, if you find that guy who wrote 432 h of stand buy please let me know too :@ this is rediculious atleast they should not lie about this. there is hell lot of difference in original figures

I too posted the same qs about nokia battery life to some other nokia discussion forum but didnt get the ans, you talking about 2.5 days well my i can hardly make 2 days as i use frequent message but that doesnt make sense to discharge in just 2 days :smileysad:

Thanks,

Umar

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

It seems like threadstarter has tried everything, but you could take a look here anyway:/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Maximize-battery-performance/td-p/431669

Nokias estimated standby time does not reflect normal use anway.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
giltic

Hi fender77,

I did the usual battery saving tricks. If anyone is interested, the battery reset helped somehow; here is the link how to do it:

http://soccorsopc.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-solve-low-battery-charge-issue.html

This also improved the battery meter - it seems to be more accurate.

Still, the phone is far from the oficial specifications.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

[ Edited ]

I was having similar problems so I have tried the battery reset thing mentioned above to see what happens.

I would say on my phone the first 3 ticks on the battery meter go down pretty steadily and last quite close to what I would expect but the next 3 drop off very suddenly.

Generally, on an average day  I listen to about 2 hours of music from a microSD card and between 30-60 mins surfing and only a couple of txt and a minute or two of calls.

As for long standby times I have noticed on previous phones I have had that when I have been just letting the battery run down and you dont touch the phone at all then they can last a very long time on a low battery but as soon as you touch anything (even just to switch on the display to tell you that the keyboard is locked) that can suddenly make the battery give up.

So I guess these long standby times are timed from switching a fully charged phone on and doing nothing at all with it until it goes off by itself.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

[ Edited ]

Actually that 400+ hours of standby time (which is quite surprising actually) is reached by setting the phone in offline mode, default theme, no apps, and locking the screen, then you leave it for 400+ hours. Thats the way to get it. Of course that means your phone is just for display.

However, considering that the phone has a high resolution (nHD) touch screen, also means that on the average it will use up battery faster than a non touch phone with less resolution and normal button-type with the same size of battery. In truth two and a half days of moderate usage (half an hour of web browsing, the occasional photo and a few calls a day) would be quite the expected life time for the phone.

Some more expensive phones also offer other battery saving technological graces which save on battery life, like OLED screens, which is not available on the 5230.

There is also an app on Ovi Store called Battery Extender. It may help you out.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

I gave the reset idea above a try and after I put the battery in I did not get any more recharge time (couple of mins at the most) but the battery did last twice as long as it did the day before and close to what I would expext half the battery to last....

BUT

all this extra time was in the first half of the battery meter, when it reached half way the second half just drained away in a couple of hours.

I asked in the shop and there tip was to let the phone run down and switch off, then leaving it switched off the whole time charge it up for 12 hours even though it will indicate it has been charge after about 100 mins.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I personally believe that the advice they gave you wont do squat. To recalibrate a battery, what you do is let it die down, full charge it while turned off. Once full, remove the battery for 10 min, then turn on and charge. Once that gets full, your good to go.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

As I said the removing battery thing seemed to help for the fisrt half of the battery life and I have just let the phone charge for 12 hours so I will let you know how that goes over the next day or so.

The guy in the shop seemed to recognise the symptoms of the 2nd half of the battery just draining away when he gave the tip of charging for 12 hours. Also he had never heard of the removing battery tip.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
giltic

The battery calibration helped somehow with my phone. It also improved the accuracy of battery meter. A few cycles of charging also helped. It seems that my battery needed 10 or more charging cycles to get the full potential. Now the things are improved. My battery can now last about 5.5 days, but: I switch off the phone during night (8 hours off per day) and I am very light user - one or two calls per day (no more than minute long) and maybe a two or three messages in whole week. Otherwise I don't play a lot with the phone.

The accuracy of the battery meter improved a lot (I don't know if this is because of calibration thing) and now it seems that it goes almost linear from fully charged to one bar. Yesterday I wanted to drain the battery before charging (three bars left on batt meter). I played a few checkers, then I was fooling around with the GPS trying to find the satellites and then a few other games. I didn't measured the time but it seemed like forewer before the battery went down.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

Good news and bad new:-

The good news is the battery indicator now seems to drop at a more steady rate over the battery life.

The bad news is the battery is not lasting any longer than it did before.

But saying that I might be expecting to much, using the Nokia Energy Profiler it looks like browsing take about 4 times the current as listening to music so that 30 mins of browsing is equal to a lot of music.

On my old Sony Ericsson the only 'extra' I would do above the normal calls and txts was listen to music (no browsing) thats why I am judging usage by the amount of music I can listen to.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Browsing does take lots of power (via wifi). There is a "hidden" advanced settings to lower the power usage but it would also make wifi browsing slower.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
giltic

Try this:

Set the phone to GSM, disable bluetooth, disable all other applications (except of course NEP, Home and Menu) and do all the tricks for saving battery. Then start Nokia Energy Profiler to measure, switch off the display and just leave the phone for 15 minutes in standby - let the NEP measures how much is the phone draining the battery in standby mode.  After 15 minutes stop the NEP and look at the current (mA)  graph. If it shows about 6-7mA current in standby mode, this is OK. Check also power graph (W) - if it shows about 0.02W of power, that is fine. That's how you'll be sure that the phone is not overdraining the battery in standby mode.

It's not allways the battery fault. It also could be that the phone is power hungry and is draining the battery more than it should. It could be some error in circuetry or something.

The other thing is power consumption during some work (browsing, gaming, listening to music,...). It is hard to say, how much power some application needs.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually, by default, TX power level at 100mW. You can lower this up to 4mW, but it would affect wifi speeds.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

[ Edited ]

My first plan was to charge it up and for the next 2 days not to browse at all (that will be hard!) and see how long it lasts, that should give me something to compare with my old phone. Also I will use your tips and switch to GSM instead of 3G and turn off any other things that I did not have on the old phone.

For those that don't know the 5230 is a 3G phone WITHOUT Wi-If

Something else strange,  Compared with every mobile device with a rechargeable battery and a battery indicator that I have owned in the past the indicator goes DOWN by a mark or two if I switch the phone off and back on after I have used it for a while. Every other device I have had stayed the same or went up (but usually only for a very short period).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

AFAIK, that same settings apply for the 5230 and simple browsing. Anyway, I keep on forgetting which phones have wifi and no. LOL.

Also, FYI, the battery dropping one or two bars every on and off is normal for smartphones (Symbian) in general. The many applications and the types of OS they use are very power hungry at startup. Ever notice why laptops consume so much power during boot up and shutdown? its the same thing. This is why offline mode is present in profiles, as it turns off the network antenna, which is essentially the same as turning it off.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
spamthroat

[ Edited ]

Its been two days of copying the usage of my old phone (Sony Ericsson W302 925mAH battery) and my 5230 is down to one tick on the battery meter (no low battery warning yet).

I think it wall last my work shift but not for the 1 1/2 hours of music on the way home.

If I had switched it off while sleeping (16 hours) instead of just putting it onto 'offline' and also disabled the packet data connection it might have got a bit more life out of it but I dont think the full 1 1/2 hours of music but close to it.

So :-

a) I am happy that the battery is lasting to a level I expect.

b) A bit surprised that my daily browsing habits are equal to about 1 day of 'normal' standard use of battery power.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

It's my opinion that the larger amount of flash memory ('disc space') on recent phones is the reason for poor battery life. You can try all the tricks you want - turn of bluetooth, use camera in VGA mode, etc - but really it's the time and energy the phone's software takes to navigate even a small 50mb phone memory. Similar to computers, the more space and stuff on your hard disk, the slower the performance.

I can remember my first 3G Motorola in 2005 - with all the bells and whistles of recent phones -  but had only about 5mb on phone memory and a 32mb card and the battery life was good, up to 3 days. Everything since then has been a day maximum.

Also, I do reckon that batteries differ in power and keeping their power! Try a replacement battery; it may not be wonderful but those people who have really bad battery life may find things improve a little. And to anyone who gets 2+ days of heavy-use life out of a smart phone I ask: how the heck do you do it?! Lol.

My solution to these problems is to use my 3G/smart phone at home, work and locally, but when travelling out of the area I take a slightly older Nokia 2630 for emergency and prolonged use on journeys etc.

Please use plain text.