Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 5800. From RM-356 to RM-428

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Nokia 5800. From RM-356 to RM-428

I bought my Nokia 5800 last september at Nokia Store in Chicago. I live in Costa Rica, so I asked the sales person if the phone will work in CR, she looked into a computer and she said, yes.

The phone works excelent in GSM, but selecting UTMS results in no connection being established at all, I see the 3G sign and that's it, no strength bars.

Software version: 31.031013216.05, RM-356.

I called the phone company and they said that I need switch from RM-356 to RM-428. Is this possible?

Thank for your help.

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Nokia 5800. From RM-356 to RM-428

Unfortunately it is not possible make the change. The difference is in the hardware. You will be better off just buying another phone. 

Contributor

Why the people of Nokia Store sold the RM-356 version  in USA ,If They know they knows 3G is not gonna work????

Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The RM-356 is the Asia Pacific version. I am also very surprised that you were sold that version in the USA.Did you get it from Nokia's own store or was it a dealer? I would seriously consider asking them for a refund or replacement. 

Contributor

I went to Nokia Flagship Store in Chicago and paid for the phone.

I gonna take your advise, and ask for replacement.

Thanks a lot!

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

cjlim wrote:
The RM-356 is the Asia Pacific version.

Actually it's the global version that's sold everywhere but in China (because 3G and WiFi are forbidden there) and in the areas where 3G is on the 850/1900 MHz bands.

More to the point, as others have pointed out, it's not intended for use in the USA or in Costa Rica. It shouldn't have been sold there.

Just out of interest, what is its product code? It's a 7-digit code starting with "05", printed on the product identification label under the battery.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Contributor

Model: 5800d-1 

Code: 0575570

Type: RM-356

Made in Hungary

Sold in Chicago, IL., USA.

Color: Red (I chose this color because came with case and the black one was not)

I already send a mail to the "contact us" link in www.nokiausa.com asking why nokia flagship store in Chicago sold me that RM-356 model.

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

FWIW, what you have there is the version intended for the market in Spain. In a way I guess that makes sense given that Spanish is the second most widely used language in the USA. Maybe Nokia USA were selling these ones before the NAM variant was available?

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Contributor

I don't thing so., because I bought the phone last september. It is not so old.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

If you bought it only 3-4 months ago then Nokia USA certainly shouldn't have sold you that variant.

baztah

Danng im so disappointed, i also have d freaking nokia 5800 RM 356, i bought it on ebay 2 months ago and i dont know if my phone has a warranty on nokia even if its from ebay, so regretting that i dont have 3g here in california, i shouldve read more before i bought it. Sorry for my english
Advisor

I got my 580 last september as well , it is also RM-356 and I have 3G on perfect in the UK, never had a problem with it, apart from not being able to get V50 when other countries can !!   I think its more to do which where you live.