Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800- New email notification on home screen-...

Contributor

Nokia 5800- New email notification on home screen--- HELP

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Nokia 5800 and I'm trying to get the phone to show new mail has arrived on the home screen.

I've updated to the latest verison of firmware, I loaded Nokia Messaging, setup Nokia messaging.

Email arrives fine- and I get the new mail tone/beep. But I cannot get it to show new mail on the home screen. So if I miss the tone, I have to keep checking the mail application.

I did read that I need to do a hard reset- which I did (Green Button, Red Button, Camera Button- all at the same time while powering on- until you see the handshake). All reset ok- reloaded messaging app only. Still no mail notification.

This is driving me mad- any ideas what I need to do HELP!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: Nokia 5800- New email notification on home screen--- HELP

try changing your homescreen to short cut mode, you might be able to see it there and select it as a short cut for your screen.
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

What shortcut do I select for the home screen- none seem to work for new email notification.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

You say you updated to the "latest" version of the software. Depending on the phone's product code, the latest version may be anything from V11 to V30.

Find out what version you're running now by dialling *#0000#.

The e-mail notification thing on the home screen appeared only in V30 firmware.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

The screen says

Software Version V21.0.025

Sw Date 02-04-09

Custom version 21.0.025.235.10

date- 08-05-2009

Lang-01

Model 5800 XM

Type RM-356

Can I assume that this version does not support email notification.

If so can I get the latest latest version which does? How? Is the phone software linked to network provider?

I'm on t-mobile in the UK, but the handset is unlocked to all networks if that helps?

Keep the help coming- thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

GR is right you can only get the email notification in v30 NOT in v21... you will have to wait until your phone gets the v30 update for that feature to appear. sorry mate for now you are out of luck. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Locking is not the issue. Branding is. Just because you've had your phone unlocked doesn't mean that you've got rid of the operator's branding.

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/branded-phones/

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for all your help on this issue.

I did the usually trick and goggled until I found the answer.

Without putting down too much detail on an official Nokia forum I modified the phone to allow me to update to V30.

I used the OTA update via the Nokia server.

My email notification now works on the home screen! Happy days, and no T-Mobile branding :-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

As long as you're aware of the consequences. Your phone is now no longer eligible for service. With the modification you made, a Care Point will now simply give your phone back to you and not have anything to do with it. IOW, if there's a problem with it now you might as well bin it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the advice grschion- but the email on home page feature was too important to wait for- and the upgrade was painless once I had the knowledge. My wife works freelance, and jobs come first come first served- so she needed to know if any new messages has arrived easily.

Now all I need Nokia to do is withdraw the 'free' trial of Nokia Messaging :-|

Any idea when that might happen, or are they going to allow networks to start charging for the service.

I need to open a new thread about trying to sync Nokia 5800 contacts and callendar with Hotmail. Is that possible or do I need a third party app? Am I better changing to GMail?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

This feature will not let you know any sooner if there's new mail. It simply updates whenever it polls the mail account. All it does is present the same information as before but in a different way, which is why I'm not that interested in it and will disable it if possible when Nokia UK pulls its finger out and I'm able to update my generic 5800 to V30.

In order to be notified immediately of new mail arriving you need a push e-mail solution, and that is available without having to update to V30.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I agree with you. The Nokia Messaging gives you the push mail, but the notification on the phone is poor. You have to open the Nokia Mail app on the 5800 to see the message. Without V30 if new mail arrives and you miss the beep there is no indication from the home screen of new mail.

Even with V30 unfortunately you can only see the most recent email that has arrived on the home screen- and for some reason it still shows it as unopened once you've read it i.e. the closed envelope rather then opened.

FYI- you can turn the email notification on the home screen off.

I'm still amazed that there isn't a unified app that brings SMS, Mail, Chat etc all into the same window. So you only have to check in one place for incoming communication. Maybe there's a third party solution out there??

Maybe one of the other Nokia phones has this, E72?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

And that's precisely why I don't use Nokia Messaging. It's a waste of space.

The built-in e-mail application provides visual feedback of new e-mail when the phone is in standby (the menu button flashes), there's a message box you have to dismiss if the phone is active, and even if you do dismiss it there's still an icon on-screen letting you know you have new mail.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

But just to confirm that the built in email client on the 5800 is Pull i.e. it has to poll for new email rather than Push with Nokia Messaging.

Apart from that it looks like Gmail offers more integration options for contacts and callendar. So I might have to change my wife from Hotmail to Gmail.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dzid

Get emoze. Much better (inho) then Nokia Messaging and serves one account for free. Nice notification popup. Works nice with my gmail account, too. Better then GMail client, actually.
--
alkmeneDzid
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

philtrick123 wrote:

But just to confirm that the built in email client on the 5800 is Pull i.e. it has to poll for new email rather than Push with Nokia Messaging.

The 5800 has both options built in.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Can one of you actually tell me how you turn the notification on and off.  I have nokia messaging and did have notification on my home screen but for some reason it has gone.  I know I have seen the setting somewhere but can't find it for the life of me.

I have v31 if you were wondering.

Any help appreciated

Please use plain text.
hkrdan

I'm not getting any home screen/menu bar notification of new email.  I'm using Nokia messaging on my 5800 with software version 40.0.005 (most up to date I can get).  Really I just need the '@' sign to show in case I missed the tone notification. 

I find myself constantly having to check my email manually which is a tad annoying when you have an app that supposedly does it for you.

Anyone any idea how I can get the @ sign to show up like the text message envelope does??

Please use plain text.
tconrado

I have the same problem the @ sing is always in front of my box name, and

when a new e-mail arrive no aditional sing is show in the top corner or in the bar..

It's really necessary...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi to everybody, I use Gmail application as email client on my Nokia 5800XM. I want to ask if it is possiblle to have the last received email notification on the homescreen when using Gmail application instead built-in Nokia client. Thanks in advance
Please use plain text.