Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 5800, Phone won't turn on or charge.

Counsellor
Levoh

Nokia 5800, Phone won't turn on or charge.

I've had this phone about 18 months so I'm due an upgrade anyway but my phone was turned off so I naturally assumed it had ran out of charge so I plugged it into the charger and nothing is coming up. I can't turn back on. I tried removing the sim card and memory card and still nothing. Plugged it into the PC via the USB and still **bleep** all, however when I had it plugged into the mains and into the PC, my PC was making the found new hardware sound whether that is any help.

Any Ideas on how to get my phone working if only for a few minutes so I can backup my contacts would be much appreicated.

Thanks

JJ x

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Nokia 5800, Phone won't turn on or charge.

try getting another battery for it and see if it is a defective battery.

18 months is a pretty good length of time for a battery depending on how often you have to charge it.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Levoh

BL-5J is quite common battery, so if you know anyone with 5800XM or N900 to borrow from.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Were you getting lower and lower battery life recently ?

Why this question..is because if you were getting a good battery life of say about 2 days till the previous charge.. going totally dead ( not showing any life with the charger plugged IN ) all of a sudden seems rather odd.. so I would advise to check the charger also..

..on the other hand when you connect the phone to the PC.. do you see any indication of it actually getting connected... say in OVI Suite ?

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Levoh

I was lucky to get 18 hours out of the battery I gave it to my mate and it worked in his phone though.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

What about the other part of my query ?...

..on the other hand when you connect the phone to the PC.. do you see any indication of it actually getting connected... say in OVI Suite ?

..you may have to try the Hard Reset if the phone is not at all coming to life..

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/How-to-Soft-Hard-reset-5800-E71-N95-and-N97/m-p/787573/highlight/tru...

..but you will lose all your data if its not backed-up.. thats why I asked the Q... If OVI detects the phone (..if the problem is only with the display and not otherwise..) you may be still able to take back-up.. if you do not have...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Levoh

Nope it doesn't seem to find it, it makes the sound for new hardware the "duh-duh" sound but then after a few seconds it does the hardware disconnected "duh-duh" sound! How can I hard reset if it won't turn on ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Although it would delete all data, you would need battery fully charged before attempting "hard reset" by keeping these three keys depressed RED, GREEN & CAMERA whilst powering on until Nokia "Shaking hands" logo appears.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Levoh

I can't turn the phone on so I doubt the battery is fully charged, I attempted it a few times to no avail !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Connect the carger and let it be ON charge for about 15-20 minutes.. then you may try

aspergerguy's suggestion ..Keeping the charger connected..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Levoh

Matey I left it plugged into the charger for 72 hours just in case, **bleep** all chuck.

Please use plain text.