Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800- Touch-screen out of calibration

Advisor

Nokia 5800- Touch-screen out of calibration

[ Edited ]
Just lately, when ever I use my 5800, the screen does not respond to where I touch it. I seems to go to the right wherever I touch the screen. (For example- if I touch the "Reply" icon in a text message, it goes on to delete. I hope this gives you some idea.)
Has anyone else on here experienced this? I've got a couple of friends who have this phone and they're experiencing this problem too.
It's very infuriating because I can't use the bloody phone, and I'm starting to regret buying it.
I wish I'd have got a jailbreaked iPhone now.
Message Edited by aferg01 on 03-Jun-2009 09:08 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Have you re-calibrated your screen?

Menu > Settings > Phone > Touch Input > Touch Screen Calibration (it's at the bottom of the list).

If that doesn't help then you may have a faulty touch screen.  You will need to contact the retailer or a nokia care point.

Care points/service centres and repair info:

UKEuropeAsia-PacificUSA
CanadaMiddle East and Africa

Elsewhere: Click here, select your country, go to the support section, then select repair.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've tried screen calibration, and the top left circle does not respond to my touch.

Take it a service centre? I've already took the thing to be repaired once (after the update "bricked" my phone) and I ain't had the phone a month yet!!!!

Load of rubbish if you ask me.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Thats your choice and your opinion. There is nothing more that can be done to help you here.

Please don't rant at people that attempt to help you, without bothering to thank them.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm sorry and I do apologise, but you must understand that I have had to take this phone to be repaired once, and I'm feeling a little frustrated with it at the moment.

Thank you for the help that you have given.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I do understand how annoying it is as my first two 5800's were faulty.  Luckily it was within the first week both times so the retailer swapped it over.  My third has been running perfectly since early february and I can honestly say it's the best phone i've had in years.

It was unfortunate that your first phone "bricked" but the vast majority of the time when that happens it's caused by the PC or software running on the PC, not the phone itself.

With the 5800xm being a very popular model there's a chance that a care point can fix it while you wait.  Some care points are much better than others so it's worth calling around if you have more than one in your area.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I'm sure frustration has its part to play there. But just think. To date, the 5800XM has sold about 3 million. If the model was as badly designed as some people seem to be making out, do you not think these support forums would be crammed a bit more full of complaints about it?

Yes, some people do end up with lemons. That's why there's a warranty. FWIW, psychomania is already on his 3rd 5800 because the two previous ones had faults, yet he's still recommending this phone to people (me included - I bought one on his recommendation) because he believes it to be a good product. I happen to agree with him.

OK, so you had to have the phone serviced once already because the update bricked it. More often than not it's the fault of MS-Windows because on some machines with particular combinations of antivirus, firewall and other system security software, it can't keep up with the phone on the USB as it changes "modes". I don't run any such software on my laptop because it's behind a wireless router (ie. it's invisible from the internet) and I don't use a mail program or browser that can instantly infect the machine as soon as you view an e-mail or a web page (lose Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and your machine will be much more robust).

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM

WE WILL TRY CALIBRATION FIRST, do it accurately otherwise, you will get error again

THEN IF STILL PROBLEM EXIST, do a firmware upgrade

IF BOTH ABOVE DOESNT HELP YOU, NOKIA will replace your device, as it may be a major defect, (I HOPE THEY WILL REPLACE IT)

good luck 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

intoxicatedm wrote:

I UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM

WE WILL TRY CALIBRATION FIRST, do it accurately otherwise, you will get error again

THEN IF STILL PROBLEM EXIST, do a firmware upgrade

IF BOTH ABOVE DOESNT HELP YOU, NOKIA will replace your device, as it may be a major defect, (I HOPE THEY WILL REPLACE IT)

good luck 

If you read the whole thread you will see that the user has already tried the calibration. Upgrading the firmware will have no bearing on this problem either.

Also you are incorrect in stating that nokia will replace the device.  Nokia will repair it under warranty, not replace it as it is not a major defect.  It is simply a faulty touch layer, which can be caused by too much pressure being applied to it.  It could have also just failed on it's own.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Intoxicatedmn, apparently you don't understand the problem.

The OP already stated that it was not possible to do a screen calibration.

It's extremely unlikely that a software update would solve the problem.

You cannot seriously predict that a NCP wil replace the device, especially as it is more than a week old.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Replace the device means the faulty device,the touch screen!!!! not the 5800 unit.:smileyhappy:
Message Edited by intoxicatedm on 03-Jun-2009 10:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

intoxicatedm wrote:
Replace the device means the faulty device,the touch screen!!!! not the 5800 unit.:smileyhappy:

Please be more clear in your posts in future.  Also please read a thread fully before posting as that solution had already been mentioned.  A misleading post is a worthless post :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevamiga

Sorry, but i would have taken "Device" as the phone as well... not the screen... which is a component of the "Device" being the phone.... just my 2p :smileyvery-happy:
Nokia 5800 Xpress Music :smileyhappy: - Please leave Kudos if I helped you! Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Chermel

I totally have the same problem. I can send out text msgs cos the delete button keeps on lighting and deletes my texts. I already tried re0-calibrating it but it's useless. I literrally regret that i chose this phone. I love nokia but it's breaking my heart right now. How much is a new screen anyway if i'm gonna have this fixed?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Your problem MAY not be exactly same as the OP... Hope you are with the latest Firmware... Back-up your data and try a Reset by dialing  *#7370#  followed by 12345 (Default security code) when prompted. If you have set your own code enter that instead. Be warned again that the Reset will wipe all data from the Phone Memory so do not forget to take Back-up..If the problem still persists then take the phone to Nokia Care.. The cost may vary by region and you will get the correct estimate only at your local Nokia Care...

Please use plain text.
ponagandlamanoj

Yes Man...Even I am facing the problem have to touch that very hard to sense.

Please use plain text.